The Most Motown Sounding Records Never To On Motown ?

Guest allnightandy

To my ears, the absolute archetype of Motown soundalikes....Not surprising either is it given the identity of the artist and her Producer on this terrific Northern classic....

Edited by rich chorley
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Sticking with the Mary Wells theme - "Dear Lover" & "Fancy Free" are close.

Naturally,- with ex-Satintone, Sonny Sanders, arranging, ex-Motowny Barrett Strong as assistant producer and writer. Still, there was a much more heavy "Chicago Sound" element in these than in Robert Bateman's and Andre Williams 20th Century Fox Detroit made recordings on Mary.

Social source share

To my ears, the absolute archetype of Motown soundalikes....Not surprising either is it given the identity of the artist and her Producer on this terrific Northern classic....

Yes, I forgot to mention this one. Mickey and Kim from Motown Detroit, and Willie Hutch from Motown L.A.-not at all surprising. Mickey's L.A. group had other ex-Motowners (Clarence Paul et. al). This is really a Motown beat, melody and arrangement, unlike a lot of the East Coast recordings listed above.

Social source share

This sounds a LOT more like an East Coast (Philly) cut than a Detroit/Motown sound. I can't hear The marvelettes doing this (at least not produced by a Motown producer).

I can hear 'My Baby Must Be A Magician' and 'Don't Make Hurting Me A Habit' could definitely imagine the Marvelettes doing it and have thought so for years. They'd have done a great job on it (IMO).

Social source share

The words and tempo (and GENERAL) arrangement sound very like a Mary Wells Motown song. But the instrumentation sounds like Nashville. And it doesn't have a Motown bridge, which would have featured a sax solo. I could see how to convert this nicely-written song into a nice 1963-64 Motown Mary Wells (w/Love-Tones) cut. Maybe someday I'll get the software to cut and splice up a version!

You're right, it is Nashville. Would love to hear it with a Sax Solo, so please do get that software go for it! :)

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Talking of Mickey Stevenson, I just thought of another favorite which fits the bill... 'Angel Doll ' by Vernon Garrett on Venture. A Motown song anyway and produced by Clarence Paul if I remember right.

It's very easy to forget the really obvious examples such as '(I Get The) Sweetest Feeling' by Jackie Wilson. I'm sure that has a Motown rhythm section.

And not to forget many of the early Hot Wax and Invictus tracks.

Motown influenced a lot of people.

Paul

Social source share

Talking of Mickey Stevenson, I just thought of another favorite which fits the bill... 'Angel Doll ' by Vernon Garrett on Venture. A Motown song anyway and produced by Clarence Paul if I remember right.

It's very easy to forget the really obvious examples such as '(I Get The) Sweetest Feeling' by Jackie Wilson. I'm sure that has a Motown rhythm section.

And not to forget many of the early Hot Wax and Invictus tracks.

Motown influenced a lot of people.

Paul

Yes, several of The Funk Brothers played on "I get The Sweetest Feeling"-and Ex-Motowner Sonny Sanders had a part in arranging it. But, it sounds very "Chicago" in its writing and arrangement-not really like a Detroit or Motown song. I wouldn't say that of all Carl Davis produced songs-as "This Heart of Mine", "I'll Come Running" and "So Much Love In My Heart" all by The Artistics and handled by Barrett Strong and Sonny Sanders all sound like pure Motown (much more, to my ears, than the Jackie Wilsons, -despite their Funk Brothers rhythm sections involvement.
Social source share

Yes, I forgot to mention this one. Mickey and Kim from Motown Detroit, and Willie Hutch from Motown L.A.-not at all surprising. Mickey's L.A. group had other ex-Motowners (Clarence Paul et. al). This is really a Motown beat, melody and arrangement, unlike a lot of the East Coast recordings listed above.

Yes it is also another one of the genuinely great 'dancers' written by WILLIE during a period someone recently stated was not representative of his career. This is Detroit style Uptown Soul perfected obviously and it would be a little cruel to deny him acknowledgment for this stage of his career when he could turn out crackers like this....And yes a record that was acknowledged by the scene, (should have been bigger in my book) here, but in the same conversation it was claimed that 'northern' style records could not be viewed as representative of Black American musical culture of that period ...I disagreed and this is a prime example...An absolute, top drawer female Soul Artist, a very talented Producer (Her husband of course), an immensely gifted writer and the whole project put together on a major label...(They don't come much more major!)....This was a blatant attempt by MGM to grab a 'mainstream' hit, not only in Motown's commercial slipstream but in it's musical style...As such it is most certainly an example of Black American musical culture of the time and aimed solidly at the 'mainstream', it just was not a hit sadly... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

I wouldn't say that of all Carl Davis produced songs-as "This Heart of Mine", "I'll Come Running" and "So Much Love In My Heart" all by The Artistics and handled by Barrett Strong and Sonny Sanders all sound like pure Motown (much more, to my ears, than the Jackie Wilsons, -despite their Funk Brothers rhythm sections involvement.

Interesting Robb - as different people discern provenance, authenticity etc. in sound - and I would put "This Heart of Mine" as pure Chicago :D

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Yes, several of The Funk Brothers played on "I get The Sweetest Feeling"-and Ex-Motowner Sonny Sanders had a part in arranging it. But, it sounds very "Chicago" in its writing and arrangement-not really like a Detroit or Motown song. I wouldn't say that of all Carl Davis produced songs-as "This Heart of Mine", "I'll Come Running" and "So Much Love In My Heart" all by The Artistics and handled by Barrett Strong and Sonny Sanders all sound like pure Motown (much more, to my ears, than the Jackie Wilsons, -despite their Funk Brothers rhythm sections involvement.

Hello Robb,

That's why I just said rhythm section because the horns and other things aren't so Motown in style.

And it's another example which has the Motown style but not the sound because it's such a clean production with wide panning and good separation.

A lot of those Chicago tracks have lots of air and space, most Motown things were more narrow, distorted and compressed.

But its heartbeat certainly has the Motown feel, no doubt due to Jamerson etc.

Paul

Social source share

Interesting Robb - as different people discern provenance, authenticity etc. in sound - and I would put "This Heart of Mine" as pure Chicago :D

Cheers

Richard

Doubly interesting, as I was living in Chicago at the time (South Chicago) and I worked in my father's store on The South Side (where all of my friends lived). To me, the melody and instrumentation on those Artistics cuts was more Detroit-sounding than Chicago. They sound very unlike the typical Carl Davis productions, which share more in common with The Curtis Mayfield style.

Social source share

I'm starting to wonder if maybe this shouldn't be split into 2 threads. I think the original intent was to list records that

were influenced by Motown.

It's turning into only counting records if Motown/ ex-Motown personnel were involved. Any then should we take into

account subtle influences (Brill Building, Chicago/ West Coast) ??

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Yes ! but having Holland Dozier Holland at the label would make them sound a little Motownesque ! LoL

but not on motown andy!...an earlier post suggested that s.o.s edwin starr was issued on motown, but it was a rictic recording re issued on motown

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

but not on motown andy!...an earlier post suggested that s.o.s edwin starr was issued on motown, but it was a rictic recording re issued on motown

Berry Gordy liked it so much he bought the company ! LoL

Jim I've heard our whole scene described as "Poor mans Motown" by

i think Ady Croasdell (If it wasn't him i'm sorry)

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

I'm starting to wonder if maybe this shouldn't be split into 2 threads. I think the original intent was to list records that

were influenced by Motown.

It's turning into only counting records if Motown/ ex-Motown personnel were involved. Any then should we take into

account subtle influences (Brill Building, Chicago/ West Coast) ??

THIS is the thread title:

The Most Motown Sounding Records Never To {have appeared} On Motown ?

That, to me is a bit different from listing songs INFLUENCED by Motown. We mentioned the songs being affiliated by ex-Motowners, NOT as evidence that they do sound like Motown recordings, but after choosing the songs, as an aside, to explain that it is not surprising that they DO sound like Motown.

Social source share

Yes, a Northern classic and an almost perfect Motown soundalike - got just that beat and 'good time' feel

Is it West Coast origin?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

That, to me is a bit different from listing songs INFLUENCED by Motown. We mentioned the songs being affiliated by ex-Motowners, NOT as evidence that they do sound like Motown recordings, but after choosing the songs, as an aside, to explain that it is not surprising that they DO sound like Motown.

Bang on...

The interesting thing as well is - as with the KIM WESTON/MICKEY S/WILLIE HUTCH project and records PETE S mentioned like MARY WELL'S 'Dear Lover' at Atlantic - to see the talent Motown also let go, that could clearly have given them more hit records...All interesting strands of the overall story... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

Always think the Fantastic Four Ric-Tics are very Motowny

Can't Stop Looking For May Baby

As Long As The Feeling Is There

As Long As I Live (I Live For You)

Cheers

Richard

Without a shadow of doubt...

'As long as I live' would have been tailor-made for LEVI AND THE TOPS over the exact backing track as stands, not that I think they could have improved on what, to my ears is one of the best midtempo Northern records ever... :hatsoff2:'Keep on, I'll give you everlasting joy!'

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Without a shadow of doubt...

'As long as I live' would have been tailor-made for LEVI AND THE TOPS over the exact backing track as stands, not that I think they could have improved on what, to my ears is one of the best midtempo Northern records ever... :hatsoff2:'Keep on, I'll give you everlasting joy!'

Do you know i have that on a RicTic demo and i have never played or heard it before now ? Great sound that will be getting played from now on ! Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

You might want to read post #47 which is from the person who started the thread-

"Motown copies is what I'm looking for- other companies attempts to emulate/ cash in

on Motown".

Edited by the yank
Social source share

Thats because rumour has it thats it's actually Smoky Robinson on vocals.

Motown sounding songs : Sandy Winns "A Touch Of Venus"

Tamala (Tamla!!) Lewis "You Won't Say Nothing"

Not surprising, as the Tamala Lewis song was written by George Clinton's crew for Motown's Jobete Music office in New York. And, "A Touch of Venus" was written by L.A. Jobete Music writers for Motown in L.A.,-and Patrice Holloway's version seems to have a Detroit backing track.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You might want to read post #47 which is from the person who started the thread-

"Motown copies is what I'm looking for- other companies attempts to emulate/ cash in

on Motown".

Well, I have looked at it and I cannot see anywhere where he said, 'But no mentioning records made by other companies where ex-Motown staff were involved'..... The STEVENSON/WESTON/HUTCH project is clearly a BLATANT (And excellent) attempt at duplicating the Motown sound under the BANNER of MGM RECORDS...So, it is clearly - in the words of the thread starter- an ' attempt to emulate/cash in on Motown'....Surely? :g::yes:

Social source share

He is a dead a ringer on all the 45s but I don't remember a rumour that they were the same person.

You're not getting mixed up with "More, More, More of Your Love" are you? That one was originally recorded by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles on an album and covered by the Baltimore based blue eyed soul band, Bob Brady and the Con-Chords who released it as a single.

Yep , your correct!! i knew what i wanted to say just came out all arse up as they do sound soooooo similar in the vocal dept.

Thanks.

Daz.

post-1918-0-70334000-1329767016_thumb.jp

Social source share

The Passionetts, i'm not in love with you anymore, Soulburst, excuse me if this has allready had a mention,can anyone put up a sound clip? as i don't have the knowhow

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Tootsie Rollers .Love .....on Me-O and I alway's thought the Proffesionals .That's why I love you .. were motowny sounding records regards Terry and June.

Social source share

The west coast (e.g. mirwood) were copying motown hard. This has to be the most soundalike for me. Except for the horn intro, this sounds like any supremes record. Felice Taylor's voice even has a similar high / rasping quality as Diana Ross' voice:

Meanwhile in the East, the concept got taken to the absolute extreme....If you can't beat'em, cover'em... :hatsoff2:

https://youtu.be/Ul_nCuTFd9A

Social source share

I have never heard that before , is Betty Baker exactly the same record booted on a false title / label ?

Anyone ?

Betty Baker is not a boot, she was the lead singer of the heartstoppers. All Platinum was super ghetto. If you get the Val Martin (who is donnie elbert) single on All Platinum as a stock copy (most are single sided promos), the a-side is clearly Donnie Elbert and the b-side is clearly some other singer.

Social source share

the story with the nella dodds is more complicated than just being a cover. it was a supremes LP cut that was not released as a single. The nella dodds record was a cover of a Supremes album cut. As soon as it started to be a hit Berry Gordy released the supremes version as a single and crushed nella's version. But because of this, her version was sort of responsible for making it a hit for the supremes.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Betty Baker is not a boot, she was the lead singer of the heartstoppers. All Platinum was super ghetto. If you get the Val Martin (who is donnie elbert) single on All Platinum as a stock copy (most are single sided promos), the a-side is clearly Donnie Elbert and the b-side is clearly some other singer.

That's what i asked IS betty baker the same singer as to me it sounded identical

was the record re recorded or just repressed with different artwork ?

andy

Social source share

That's what i asked IS betty baker the same singer as to me it sounded identical

was the record re recorded or just repressed with different artwork ?

andy

just repressed. certain tracks all platinum reused literally like 8 times or more (specifically this willie and the mighty magnificents instrumental).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!