The Velours

Ian Parker

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i noticed that a while ago when getting the hemsby flyer, didnt think it was the same group , allways a top weekend tho and not far off hembsy 50 not a lot of weekenders can say that,

Social source share

Not sure Jim but i went to the Plaza in handsworth birmingham on a reg basis in the late 60's and remember seeing them as both acts within a few months of each other. i remember the lead singer when they were the temps saying thanks for making this a big hit for us then proceeding to sing My girl :lol:

Edited by Ted Massey
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

My friend went to high school (I think in Brooklyn, but maybe the Bronx) with Fantastics member Richard Pitts. I think Richard sang lead on the Strangers "night winds" on WB before the velours formed.

yes my copy credited as "featuring ritchie pitts"

Social source share

My friend went to high school (I think in Brooklyn, but maybe the Bronx) with Fantastics member Richard Pitts. I think Richard sang lead on the Strangers "night winds" on WB before the velours formed.

Do you mean before that iteration (or particular lineup) of The Velours got together? I thought we established in an earlier thread about them that The MGM mid-sixties Velours were the same group (albeit with some lineup changes) as The R&B/Doo Wop Velours who had recorded with Onyx, Orbit and Cub (they were still under contract from Cub when switched to MGM (same as occurred with The Wanderers).

Social source share

Do you mean before that iteration (or particular lineup) of The Velours got together? I thought we established in an earlier thread about them that The MGM mid-sixties Velours were the same group (albeit with some lineup changes) as The R&B/Doo Wop Velours who had recorded with Onyx, Orbit and Cub (they were still under contract from Cub when switched to MGM (same as occurred with The Wanderers).

I think 3 members of the MGM group were in the onyx group and that the MGM group was a reformed version of the group. Richie Pitts wasn't a member of the onyx group, but he was a member of the Newtones on Baton, and later the Strangers on WB. I assume the MGM group was a reformed version of the Velours. However, I have no idea what actually happened, maybe there was a Velours group that continuously existed and Pitts joined when on MGM. It doesn't matter that much (to me at least).

Social source share

I think 3 members of the MGM group were in the onyx group and that the MGM group was a reformed version of the group. Richie Pitts wasn't a member of the onyx group, but he was a member of the Newtones on Baton, and later the Strangers on WB. I assume the MGM group was a reformed version of the Velours. However, I have no idea what actually happened, maybe there was a Velours group that continuously existed and Pitts joined when on MGM. It doesn't matter that much (to me at least).

You may well be right. There was quite a recording session time gap between their last Cub and fisrt MGM session (unlike the Wanderers' case).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert