Rock Candy - Confusion Over Boot Vs Orig

Steve Plumb

Need some help peeps

Reading the various tome's I'm not 100% on whether a copy of Rock Candy on Dontee I have is an original or not?

First of all it's a light Blue label in vinyl and does look good!

Run out groove on the 'Alone with no love' side (actually the B side) reads-

45rpm at 6 o'clock

Dontee 101-A2 at 5 o'clock

"Alone with no love" at 4 o'clock

2/18/71 and a 'squiggle' at 3 o'clock

All fairly legible but not that deep that you can feel it?

Run out groove on the 'I don't think' side (actually the A side) reads-

Dontee 103-A at 6 o'clock (barely visible)

IC at 3 o'clock

and that's all there is on this side!

As I said it's not easy to work out from the books BUT I suspect it is a boot (or a legal label reissue?) and if it is, I wondered if anyone can confirm what a true light Blue label original has in the run out grooves, particularly the A side?

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

There is deffo a Light Blue counterfeit copy, but the books are not clear, the boot deffo has the date scratched in along with the title.

Steve is looking to see what a blue issue (original) has in the runoff if anything, as my white demo also has the title and date scratched in.

Social source share

45rpm at 6 o'clock

2/18/71 and a 'squiggle' at 3 o'clock could say Joe or 2005

IC at 3 o'clock

``It looks like a triangle on its side with a 3 after it.

Info is all the same as my WLP.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

45rpm at 6 o'clock

2/18/71 and a 'squiggle' at 3 o'clock could say Joe or 2005

IC at 3 o'clock

``It looks like a triangle on its side with a 3 after it.

Info is all the same as my WLP.

I don't wish to dismiss the above info but thought I'd seen in other topics that the o'clock thing was sketchy as it just depends where the record is when printed as to where the matrix etc landed ?

Social source share

Anybody out there have a Blue original? If so, any chance you could give us the run out groove info?

Thanks in advance

Steve

the boot is blue only. All yellow copies and white djs are originals. There is also an original blue label copy. How to tell the difference:

Originals have a slightly more squared edge and the boots are more rounded.

The type face is slightly different on the original and the info in the runout groove is smaller and clearer. But the main difference is in the vinyl; you have a bootleg if both sides of the grooves/pressing look identical. The originals look as though each side has been manufactured on a different pressing machine.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When was the boot done, where was it distributed to, and for what market? If it was a northern soul boot, they could have done the contemplations instead? Also, it looks like they put in a lot of effort to make it seem real.

I first saw the bootleg in the US about 20 years ago when the American group soul collectors began in earnest looking for ballads (previous to the Soul Harmony Soul bible) Im sure it was booted for the group ballad side in the US.

It's very easy to spot the difference between the orig and the boot, once you have seen them both.

Social source share

That's great info, many thanks :-)

Do you have the actual details of the run out groove on the Blue original, particularly the ballad side, as mine above is pretty basic, yet the dance side is fairly full of text (which is weird in itself isn't it?). Usually the run out grooves are pretty much similar on A and B sides with just matrix numbers etc changing to suit?

A scan of the Blue orig would be good too and i'll get this one of mine (assuming it's the boot/second issue) up too

Thanks in advance, i thought this thread was going to die a death but there's life still in it yet :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

post-9741-0-68852300-1329874008_thumb.jp

post-9741-0-66246000-1329874021_thumb.jp

Thanks for that - the one i have looks the same as the second one?

I'll post it up now - If you look you'll see the 'Dist by' info above the label number on LHS plus there's two lines of info on the RHS

The first one has no 'Dist by' and only one line of info on RHS

This makes sense that the first one is orig and the second one is repress?

Here's mine

rock_candy.jpg

Social source share

Thanks for that - the one i have looks the same as the second one?

I'll post it up now - If you look you'll see the 'Dist by' info above the label number on LHS plus there's two lines of info on the RHS

The first one has no 'Dist by' and only one line of info on RHS

This makes sense that the first one is orig and the second one is repress?

Here's mine

rock_candy.jpg

right on the money..never knew there was a boot of this floating around until this topic arose..definitley good to know

Social source share

right on the money..never knew there was a boot of this floating around until this topic arose..definitley good to know

Looks like we sorted it :yes:

Still need the run-out groove info on the Blue Original though if anyone would like to check theirs and post it up...............................................this is the reason i posted cos I got the above spare copy to sell on and thought 'that looks like a reissue' I'll check it against my original...............................well I think you know the rest :ohmy:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Just to continue this saga - interesting to note that the tune came out on Dontee 101 - Alone With No Love / Inst 11/ 69 released according to Soul Harmony reference book . However this was credited as The Contemplations - Never seen a copy myself , and Rock Candy was issued in 1971 ???

The contemplations record comes up for sale. Go to www.popsike.com and type in contemplations into the search to see what it looks like

Social source share

Just to continue this saga - interesting to note that the tune came out on Dontee 101 - Alone With No Love / Inst 11/ 69 released according to Soul Harmony reference book . However this was credited as The Contemplations - Never seen a copy myself , and Rock Candy was issued in 1971 ???

It's exactly the same take Glyn. When I picked up my first copy of the Contemplations I compared it to Rock Candy to find there's no difference. If I remember correctly the master references in the run out are (not surprisingly) also both the same. It was quite some time after Rock Candy had been played before the Contemplations 45 surfaced, and it still remains to be pretty tough 45 to find.

Social source share

I was always led to believe the yellow label was an original but rarer copy. I have the pale blue which I always thought was a boot cos the original blue label is lighter.. Bugger I was hoping mine wasn't a boot...

Social source share

Will do Steve.. I will get Dave to have a good look at it for me.. I didn't pay lots for it, had it over twenty years now so at least I wasn't had over.. They have to get up early to catch me out lol xx

Social source share

Will do Steve.. I will get Dave to have a good look at it for me.. I didn't pay lots for it, had it over twenty years now so at least I wasn't had over.. They have to get up early to catch me out lol xx

Same here, mine didn't cost owt but kinda feels silly when you realise that you've had a boot filed in with all your originals all these years :facepalm:

Social source share

Personally, my theory is that Rock Candy only ever recorded ONE track, and that was "I Don't Think I'll Ever Love Another". My guess is that Joe Tate, or whoever was in charge of Dontee, needed a B-side filler on this occasion. Thus, "Alone With No Love" by The Contemplations was used, but still credited to Rock Candy just to maintain consistency.

The two groups on either side sound as alike as the proverbial chalk and cheese.

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Looking at the sales of ' blue label ' copies of Rock Candy on Popsike and Collectors Frenzy everyone seems convinced that their copy was an original and were described as such.

However the WLP copies seem to have The 'Dist by ' info that the' ORIGINAL' blue label copies are missing.

The mystery deepens.

I wonder if the WLP was where the ' blue label ' copies came from, keeping all the info and just losing the promo....not for sale at the printing stage ?

Social source share

is it really confirmed that there is a bootleg? so far it just looks like a variety in presses to me.

I'm inclined to agree on the different press theory especially since the WLP label has the same details as the release thought to be a bootleg.

Still good to be able to distinguish between 1st and 2nd presses though.

Social source share

I should also add that I think the Contemplations is definitely the one to go for, as it also has the awesome instrumental (backing track) of 'Alone With No Love' by the Dontee Studio Band on the B-side.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I should also add that I think the Contemplations is definitely the one to go for, as it also has the awesome instrumental (backing track) of 'Alone With No Love' by the Dontee Studio Band on the B-side.

That's the reason I bought my Contemplations,the inst just blows me away.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!