Tony Jebb (Golden Torch/Blackpool Mecca Dj)

Goldsoul

Just advising of Tony's poor health and overall condition. He has MS.

For those elder statesmen, Tony Jebb was the man who really made records happen at Blackpool Mecca with Les Cockell in '71 then alongside Ian Levine in '72 before securing a residency at the Torch 72/73.

I'm sure like me, you wish him well.

I am in touch with his carer and will pass on your comments for him to read. Hopefully your kind words will improve his mental state too.

A sharp, intelligent record spinner with great ears and looks to match.....TONY JEBB

Edited by The Golden 101
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Sad to hear the news about Tony Jebb.

He was the first d.j. I took notice of when attending the Mecca in 71, not only because of the music he played, but also his attire. He just did not look the part with his long flowing hair and bell bottom trousers. You would have expected him to be playing Black Sabbath type music not the records he was playing out.

He did comment about his image on the Strange world of Northern Soul DVD, saying he had done the Soul-boy image thing and had moved on.

My thoughts go out to him and I wish him well.

Best,

Ian

Social source share

First time I ever went to Blackpool Mecca in 71, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He waltzed into the Highland room wearing a white lace shirt with bell sleaves and carrying two boxes of records.

I thought it was Freddie Mercury, when my mate said "thats Tony Jebb" I couldnt believe it and I thought my god what the f***ks he gonna play.

When he did his spot I was in complete awe.Got to know him quite well over ther next year or so.

The first big name Dj on a then emerging Northern, scene and a true legend.

Very sad news indeed.

Edited by local
Social source share

Yes The Mecca Rare Soul 71 ,,,,, A Moment in Time!!

Just to walk through them doors into the Highland Room to hear him , Les C and Levine was a Buzz

Didnt know him personally but Huge respect to him ,,, one of the pioneers of the Rare Soul scene that started me on a journey that im still on today!!

I thank you for that Tony

Hope your being made as comfy as poss bro and your in all of us oldns thoughts bro

LOVE & HUGE RESPECT

Nige B

Edited by Nige Brown
Social source share

I didn't realise Tony was ill and I'm saddened to hear it. :(

Was only talking (again) about Tony the other week, with my old pal Robbie Dunn from Maghul, in regard to our visits to the Blackpool Mecca via Southport to listen to wonderful rare soul spins from Tony, Les, Ian, Colin, Andy etc. :thumbsup:

Absolute magical moments that still live with me to this day. :yes:

God bless you Tony and here's hoping these messages make you feel proud, because you dam well should be. :hatsoff2:

Atb to you pal.

Dennis Haw

Social source share

Tony came to Newcastle under Lyme and played at Mecca there before it became Tiffanys ... he played music we'd never heard half of the tunes before and we loved it ... he got talking to us and said if we wanted to hear more of the same then come to the Highland Room ... and we did !! on the first ever coach from Stoke to Blackpool Mecca ... and that's how many of us, the likes of Bob Morris, Bob McNicol, Timmy Dodson, Phil Morgan and yours truly got to hear and appreciate the sounds that became the foundation stone of our passion for what later became known as Northern Soul ..... On another level Tony will always be one of the nicest guys I have ever met, good for a laugh and personable ... he always played Girl Across the Street for me ... have often thought of how to get in touch with him and didn;t realise he was ill ... give him a very big hug and a very big thank you for being part of my life in those early years .... Liz Cooke xxxxxx

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Tony was the first proper Soul DJ with good microphone technique and timing. Also was the first DJ I knew who as soon as a record was played out he would sell it. Bought a few records off him way back. I spoke to him a couple of years ago and he was riding a mobility scooter. Was sad to see him as I remember when he won trophies for his bodybuilding. I had great times with him when we would go to the Torch after his spots at the Mecca. Hope his health improves. A real gentleman.

Social source share

First time I ever went to Blackpool Mecca in 71, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He waltzed wearing a white lace shirt with bell sleaves and carrying two boxes of records.

I thought it was Freddie Mercury, when my mate said thats Tony Jebb I couldnt believe it and I thought my god what the f***ks he gonna play.

When he did his spot I was in complete awe.Got to know him quite well over ther next year or so.

The first big name Dj on a then emerging Northern, scene and a true legend.

Very sad news indeed.

As you say, this ''hippy'' appeared on stage, longh hair, bell bottoms, actually all the Mecca DJ's had a hippy look as I recall apart from Ian Levine,, anyway, first tune out of his box was Hoagy Lands 'Next in Line' :thumbup: , say no more.

Never knew the man personally but I know what he's going through, (a close relative has just been dignosed) and I wish him all the best.

Edited by ZootSuit
Social source share

Tony came to Newcastle under Lyme and played at Mecca there before it became Tiffanys ... he played music we'd never heard half of the tunes before and we loved it ... he got talking to us and said if we wanted to hear more of the same then come to the Highland Room ... and we did !! on the first ever coach from Stoke to Blackpool Mecca ... and that's how many of us, the likes of Bob Morris, Bob McNicol, Timmy Dodson, Phil Morgan and yours truly got to hear and appreciate the sounds that became the foundation stone of our passion for what later became known as Northern Soul ..... On another level Tony will always be one of the nicest guys I have ever met, good for a laugh and personable ... he always played Girl Across the Street for me ... have often thought of how to get in touch with him and didn;t realise he was ill ... give him a very big hug and a very big thank you for being part of my life in those early years .... Liz Cooke xxxxxx

Tony always had an eye (and a few other bits :shhh: as I remember) for the ladies.

His wife Judith was stunning.

For those who dont know the story, he held his wedding reception at the Torch and organised a coach to Stoke from Blackpool.

On the way out of town the coach was stopped and searched by the local DS ( Jeff Abbot ?)

This caused a well known DJ and record producer to, do something wich resulted in "said person" dancing (not a pretty sight) until Wednesday of the following week. :lol:

Happy Days

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

On the way out of town the coach was stopped and searched by the local DS ( Jeff Abbot ?)

This caused a well known DJ and record producer to, do something wich resulted in "said person" dancing (not a pretty sight) until Wednesday of the following week. :lol:

Happy Days

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks mate, best laff I've had all week.

Tony Jebb, one of the few "names" of that era which we mere mortals looked upon as GODS

Social source share

I first heard Tony D.J. @ The blackpool Mecca in 1971 & was blown away by his playlist. Like it has been said in previous posts he had an an "alternative style of dress" to the majority of the Mecca crowd, however his skills and choice of records was light years ahead of some. I do hope he hangs on in there.

Best regards, Ricardo.

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest soulmusicforever

Only just seen this thread (thanks Jess).

Tony was the best dj at the Highland Room in Blackpool during it's heyday of the early 70's. I became friends with him in 71 when us London lads would make the long journey up on a Saturday morning. We all fell in love with Judith but Jebby was one of the highlights of a Saturday night. Such a personality at the decks and on the mike.

I had the pleasure of seeing him again at the Mecca reunion in 1998 and had a chat as always. In true Jebby style he told me when he firsts heard that Ian Levine was organizing the reunion he said to his make "what's he gonna play Snoop Dog?".

When I asked him how Judith was he said "traded her in for a younger model" (sorry Judith).

MS is a terrible disease and I will say a prayer for him. So many great memories especially him playing Wendy Rene and his catchphrase "meantime!"

God bless you Tony.

Dave Burton

Hong Kong

PS: Has he got an iPod with tunes?. If not how about you get him one Jess? London lads will pay for it.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Sorry to hear tonys in such bad health was,a great guy.I was to young to meet him on the soul scene but met him on the national body building scene,He was at one time 80 kilo mr uk,a great shame i wish him all the best.

Social source share

I go way back with Jebby back in the days when he was King in the early 70,s when there where only a few DJ,S on the scene

he was the best along with Alan Day the lad use to get the dancefloor smokin with his tunes top dj and bloke

I know he,s not been well for years and send him my very best wishes and thanks mate for all those good times back in the day

All the money in the World could,nt buy days like we had back in the early 70,s ....

Love, Peace & Happiness Always Tony

Best Wishes

Ian Cunliffe

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:lol: HI ALL, Some times I spend hours on soulsource? then miss this news?, Could I ask a favour reguarding the #1 BLACKPOOL MECCA SOULSTAR, Could someone, if they remember, PM me if there are any changes in his situation, or let MICK SMITH no,?

As this guy is important to us, well all of us, who rember his status as a DJ & freind, many thanks DAVE KILWORTH :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

He was the daddy!..............excellent dj one of my 1st memories at the mecca 71. I last saw him in the late 80`s, we were both doing the Amway thing (cringe :facepalm: )

Hope everything is as good as possible for you Tony.

God bless :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest soulmusicforever

Update on Tony Jebb - I spoke to Tony's daughter, Natalie, today and would like to provide an update for friends on his current health condition. Tony is living in his own place which is a 1 bedroom unit in a community care neighbourhood i......n Blackpool where he is visited by care workers regularly. Natalie lives very close by and also sees him regularly. Unfortunately, Tony is now bedridden due to his poor physical condition even though he underwent two hip replacements and many years of physiotherapy. He has lost the use of his right hand which was his writing hand. The good news is that Tony has not lost his spirit and sense of humour and reads with the aid of glasses. Natalie said that he would love an iPod with northern soul classics so, job done. As soon as I can load one up with tunes it will be on its way to Blackpool! He gave a lot of pleasure to many of us in the 70's at the Highland Room so it's the least we can do. I will also write a letter to Tony so if anyone else would like to send him a letter Inbox me and I will ask for permission to give out his address. God bless him xxx DB

Social source share

Guest soulmusicforever

Just advising of Tony's poor health and overall condition. He has MS.

For those elder statesmen, Tony Jebb was the man who really made records happen at Blackpool Mecca with Les Cockell in '71 then alongside Ian Levine in '72 before securing a residency at the Torch 72/73.

I'm sure like me, you wish him well.

I am in touch with his carer and will pass on your comments for him to read. Hopefully your kind words will improve his mental state too.

A sharp, intelligent record spinner with great ears and looks to match.....TONY JEBB

Hi Kev

I have posted an update on Tony at the bottom of this link. Some friends on facebook have suggested a benefit night for Tony in Blackpool so maybe you would consider doing this as you are already running regular events there. I think a lot of people would make that trip including me :)

Social source share

Guest soulmusicforever

In conjunction with sending the iPod to Tony I have just launched a campaign to persuade Apple to start redistributing used iPod Shuffles to the elderly & infirm around the world. At the moment they only have a recycling thing and they re-sell them to the "electronics industry". It's about time they did some CSR and gave back to the community. Please take a look at my campaign page at:

www.facebook.com/aliveinsideipods

If you are in agreement with this cause please click "Like" and SHARE with your friends. Thank you :)

Social source share

Guest soulmusicforever

Update on Tony Jebb - I spoke to Tony's daughter, Natalie, today and would like to provide an update for friends on his current health condition. Tony is living in his own place which is a 1 bedroom unit in a community care neighbourhood i......n Blackpool where he is visited by care workers regularly. Natalie lives very close by and also sees him regularly. Unfortunately, Tony is now bedridden due to his poor physical condition even though he underwent two hip replacements and many years of physiotherapy. He has lost the use of his right hand which was his writing hand. The good news is that Tony has not lost his spirit and sense of humour and reads with the aid of glasses. Natalie said that he would love an iPod with northern soul classics so, job done. As soon as I can load one up with tunes it will be on its way to Blackpool! He gave a lot of pleasure to many of us in the 70's at the Highland Room so it's the least we can do. I will also write a letter to Tony so if anyone else would like to send him a letter Inbox me and I will ask for permission to give out his address. God bless him xxx DB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!