Who Is Gonna Give Me The Best Deal?

Bitchdj

You wont make anywhere near there worth - dealers will be jumping at the bit for them because they are going to make a killing at approx half value - Sit and work it out if you have quite a few big titles they just about always get top money ebay them you said you are not in need of selling so whats the hurry the cheaper end stuff sell in numbers

imo ?

Social source share

¯»¿ :hatsoff2: Hi All

Over the many years of collecting, as Ian has said above, from my teenage years, and apart from a couple of years, when I grew my hair and bought LP's not just the BLUES LPs that I still love, but my venture into listening to records where 1 track was 20 minutes long, and I attended the Roundhouse & the Middle Earth club when it was based in Portobello Rd, I used to like the Finches Pub also. and looking back I must admit I did enjoy seeing live acts (that's something most of you missed out on, but common back then)

my collecting has focused on the obscure & rare, as most of you know! i was very influenced by Mick Smith, (as I think I must have given him more name checks in my weight up than anyone) but those who have known him as long as myself and the fact he lived down the road from me, would agree, you could not have a better mentor, over the Years I have always gone to him first for records, as he seemed to know everyone back then, However Mick to many of you is more known as a dealer in rare records, and as I have often mentioned, there are 2 collectors scenes and 2 sets of prices,

The Rare Soul Scene dealers work on the principle similar to drug dealers, as once as they see you are hooked, then they really go to town, as soon as you get the record that you are after of them, they suddenly wave the next goodies in front of you, Also they cast a hypnotic spell of loyalty of obedience,

i am sure that we have all witnessed, a collector for whatever reason sell there collection off, and the dealer, apply the the buying techniques,

Already the word cherry picking has been stated, this tells you that the dealer wants to see how desperate you are for cash?

Often you will see the Dealer go through a box and start putting records into piles, these piles start at £5 & stop at £30? anything above that will be put into a separate pile and taken as his right to buy at half price assuming that you know the current price?

The trick is what your body language is saying, what they look for is 1 they know you need the money and 2 you don't want to sell? 3 you think that he is going to by them all?

OK I am stereotyping a bit and I am talking about a box rather than a collection. and in my case if I took records to Mick he is well aware, that the records he wants from me wont be in the Box, but he ain't bothered as for example if I died this week, he knows that MARIE will give him the lot to sell for her?

That's why my current collection has taken me so long because I could have splashed out big money with Mick to put it together, but I must have only bout about 50 of him in 10 years and most have cost well under £50, I have got more pleasure buying records this way than pocking up the phone and getting him to put my collection together,

The moral of this story for me is, that the last collection I sold was my US records, since the what I got for them, if I kept them today I would have got the same for 2 of them, that's how much the scene has changed, I have always blamed the Magazine Record Collector, for turning Record collectors who would sell records, into Dealers, when they started to put adds that had no price, but the word BIDDS next to them, or Auction,

I still believe in the issue whatever the price of a record on sale, offer half the amount, especially these days, as the dealers are in the same boat as you, but in some respects worse, as they have all there £££££ invested in stock, so the table is turning, I nearly started to sell up the other week, and I have now decided it is to painful, :g: DAVE

post-13241-0-26762800-1329431806_thumb.j

Social source share

I decided to do the same just over a year ago and found that the good stuff sells easily and the other stuff takes time but still sells. IMHO if you don't need to sell and want a decent price for your records; build a web site, put the records on and post them as they sell. Offering to dealers just invites a low price IMHO and with ebay you're trying to find a buyer in 7 days. Some records sell well in a week and some stuff takes a year or more.

Mind you if I listed more stuff on the web site it might sell quicker.

After selling about 6 grands worth in a few months I found that I didn't want to part with some records and so put them in a small box. This has recently started to get fuller unfortunately.

love the bit about putting records you dont want to part with in a small box, you need to make sure there is no room in the box for more records, to put another twist on this, ive just bought a nice box that holds 100 from a charity shop, now it needs filling,

my advice is work out what is important to you against what is important for you, i.e do you really need the money, do you need the space, how important are 45,s in your life, personally anything i had or come across that is worth selling, goes, when you have got kids mortgages and bills a 200 quid 45 sitting in a box can be sold and provide a host of other things.

eg, i sold a copy of the metros on a black RCA, and used the money to buy a.....

top box and roof bars to fit a vauxhaul zafira, loads of holidays sorted !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pretty much my story Ian to a lesser degree than you but certainly I can relate to most of the above, regret letting some of them go for then pennies which have become big ticket items but thats just down to time and when they were sold rather than anything to do with knowledge lol,never worth beating yourself up over records you once had at least we can say we had them lol

Mark Bicknell.

C'mon Mark, you would would never have let 'em go for pennies LOL..... :lol:

Northern Soulers are essentially defined by their record collections so when we have thin down for whatever reason it's painful. Did I ever want to lose my Alexander Patton, Garnett Mimms and Lou Johnson mint UK promos? No, of course not. However, when I worked out how many times I actually used to pull out the originals and play 'em I realised that other people needed 'em more. They were essentially 'trophy' records which I didn't really need anymore. However I wish I'd had 'em back in '72 LOL....

Ian D :D

Social source share

¯»¿I nearly started to sell up the other week, and I have now decided it is to painful, :g: DAVE

Free up the one's which you KNOW are brilliant and potential future monsters and pass 'em onto the young turks who can use 'em. It's better then 'em gathering dust on your shelves mate. I decided long ago that it's better to pass forward great records than to sit on 'em and let 'em stagnate. I can virtually guarantee you that at least 100 key records over the last 20 years came from my shelves originally. Many of 'em went for relatively little money at the time but the important thing is that everything I sold went to the right people who were key in helping the records to take off. That way you don't feel so bad about moving 'em on.

Good karma Dave. :thumbsup:

Social source share

This thread is weird because I agree with almost everything everyone said in it. I specifically agree with Dyson's description of collecting (e.g. the fun for me is buying weirdo records that are unknown but good, not known rarities) and I think that you should not let people cherry pick the top items specifically because the market is different than it was 10 years ago... Higher end stuff keeps going up, mid and lower end stuff is much harder to sell. So what dazdakin said was probably true in '88, the market is different now.

Social source share

Free up the one's which you KNOW are brilliant and potential future monsters and pass 'em onto the young turks who can use 'em. It's better then 'em gathering dust on your shelves mate. I decided long ago that it's better to pass forward great records than to sit on 'em and let 'em stagnate. I can virtually guarantee you that at least 100 key records over the last 20 years came from my shelves originally. Many of 'em went for relatively little money at the time but the important thing is that everything I sold went to the right people who were key in helping the records to take off. That way you don't feel so bad about moving 'em on.

Good karma Dave. :thumbsup:

i'd love to know what those 100 records were and when and how much you sold them for. Not literally every one item by item just a few examplers..................

would make interesting reading.

Social source share

i was nearly forced to sell my records and until wednesday i still didnt know wether i might have to or not, thankfully things worked out ok and although i was preparing myself that they might have to go i just can not explain how good i feel that they now dont have to go, i think i appreciate and love them even more than just a few days ago :D at the end of the day they are just records, are you attached to them emotionaly if so hold them back if not and they are just tunes you will turn around over time then maybe sell but if your looking for decent prices you will have to sell them individually or in soul packs, Cookie if your sales lists are anyhting to go by then i have a feeling you wouldnt have much trouble selling up but i also have a feeling you may regret it,

best of luck and i really do hope you get your mojo back :hatsoff2:

Social source share

This thread is weird because I agree with almost everything everyone said in it. I specifically agree with Dyson's description of collecting (e.g. the fun for me is buying weirdo records that are unknown but good, not known rarities) and I think that you should not let people cherry pick the top items specifically because the market is different than it was 10 years ago... Higher end stuff keeps going up, mid and lower end stuff is much harder to sell. So what dazdakin said was probably true in '88, the market is different now.

Bob ...can you not refer to Andy as Dyson .....we have a famous brand of vacuum cleaner called Dyson and as far as i know ,Andy does'nt clean the carpets at home :D

Without reading thru all the posts on this one ,i personally think it's a no brainer !

If you want the best price ..sell em all seperate yourself :yes:

The demand choons will sell for their potential best price ...the rest will sell for what people are prepared to pay for em .

Sell em to a dealer and he will under score the demanders cos it's business and he needs to make a profit ,he won't pay too much for things that are hard to shift .

The only problem you've got is the headache of listing em , packaging em and then the biggest hurdle ..taking them to the queue in the post office :(

Good luck Cookie .....hope you buy something nice with the funds :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah, I would have said "Andy" but I wasn't sure if anyone else in the thread was an "Andy", I don't usually refer to him as "Dyson". Sorry.

In the US we have the Dyson products too. There is a hand drier that is really weird that I used once somewhere and since about a year ago they've been advertising some sort of fan that doesn't create choppy air or something. They're all at ridiculous prices (e.g. you can buy a regular fan for $15 or you can buy his fan for $500) and geared toward people who like "design". We also have to see his commercials where he comes and talks with a british accent about how great he is. A similar character to Steve Jobs.

There was a saturday night live skit making fun of the commercials once, it was for a dyson toilet.

Social source share

Yeah, I would have said "Andy" but I wasn't sure if anyone else in the thread was an "Andy", I don't usually refer to him as "Dyson". Sorry.

In the US we have the Dyson products too. There is a hand drier that is really weird that I used once somewhere and since about a year ago they've been advertising some sort of fan that doesn't create choppy air or something. They're all at ridiculous prices (e.g. you can buy a regular fan for $15 or you can buy his fan for $500) and geared toward people who like "design". We also have to see his commercials where he comes and talks with a british accent about how great he is. A similar character to Steve Jobs.

There was a saturday night live skit making fun of the commercials once, it was for a dyson toilet.

Dyson handrier is the BEST!!.The bladeless fan is amazing...but its patented..so no copying of that please.LOL.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I know we have gone off topic but two things before we go back I'm an Andy in this thread and as for Mr Dyson telling everybody how great he is,Did he mention that he shut his factory in Britain and moved his production to Malaysia ? Thought not LoL
Social source share

I know we have gone off topic but two things before we go back I'm an Andy in this thread and as for Mr Dyson telling everybody how great he is,Did he mention that he shut his factory in Britain and moved his production to Malaysia ? Thought not LoL

Inventor Mr Dyson couldn't find a UK company to invest in his inventions, and all the money for production of his revolutionary new vacuum cleaner had to come from abroad, maybe that's why he moved :wink:

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Anyway i'm just realising where i'm going wrong as a record dealer ,i keep advising record collectors not to sell up in turn failing to ever be a dollar millionare like some pillar of the scene purveyers of vinyl.

Maybe we should have a in house competition at the next lifeline ,a three legged race with mick h and my mate gav (illusivesoul) who've just had ops on their legs,peggy babcock and gospel bobclitty comstock ,sam and butch, chalky and cliff steele,mace and johnny beggs all teamed up -first across the field and twice round the car park the winner(s) gets a copy of mace's new book "how to collect records in stoke"! and mick h's book "how to discover records" volume three,second get mick h's ebay id (so they can avoid all his cover ups) third get a date with rob smith ,fourth get to have a bare knuckle fight with tim brown (i'll see to fair play in the fight) mm we seem to have more prizes than punters .. unless the race attracts a few new attendes'...Mick h has just thrown in his Hopkins Brothers dub plate and a some one donated 300 copies of the latest re issue .. jesus need a few more entrants or i may just be a dollar millionaire after all on the prizes

Well up for it ........as long as that......SIR JOE.....ain,t a prize.......mind you starting to wonder if gospel bob'll be able to keep up :lol: :lol:

Social source share

there are some big ticket items in my collection not necessarily the top 500 in demanders and i do have obscure taste those little gems you find that are new to your own ears are always fabulous and sod anyone else that doesnt like them...but i am finding it hard to find anything lately that makes me go Oooooooh how nice is that...and that has taken the sheen off things a bit...the few times i have been out over the last few years i have not heard one thing thats made me sit up and take notice and thats whats missing for me...i trawl ebay still and grimace at the piss poor condition of some records...and tut and shake my head at the same old records with bids all over them...mr D you always used to pull me a nice pile of things out of your sales for me to listen too and i ended up buying quite a few...but lately i am no longer excited by it all...i need stimulation and fast !

I do hope Nick is ok Cookie , them Belper lads where always lagging behind us Ripley lads :wink:

Social source share

Inventor Mr Dyson couldn't find a UK company to invest in his inventions, and all the money for production of his revolutionary new vacuum cleaner had to come from abroad, maybe that's why he moved :wink:

Be careful now....James Dyson moved to Malaysia for one reason only. He wanted to expand his factory in Malmesbury to create more jobs and products (at his design centre). The council would not let him expand fearing he was moving too close to a green belt area. He had one option open to him... re-locate and it became clear that it was going to be much cheaper to re-locate to Malaysia. He does however, maintain his design centre at Malmesbury, along with the help-line call centre.

For the record (45rpm of course ... ha) the hand dryer is known as the Air Blade. The fan is not a fan at all as it doesn't have a fan, it is in fact the Air Multiplier and finally the heater version of the Multiplier is the Dyson Hot which uses ceramic plates to create directional heat.

Anybody want to buy one.... and if you don't want to spend £200 on a Dyson Hot, how about a UK copy of Frank Wilson "Do I Love You". See you in sales section :D:yes::wave::hatsoff2:

By the way, I also do Panasonic :D

Steve

Edited by soulman
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Not at all he lied !

He said that the local authority wouldn't give him planning permission to extend his factory

The truth is the land he wanted to extend on to was privately owned and not for sale

oh and his development office is still here

Andy

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

i want to thank all who sent messages specially little stevie....the upshot is folks i have spent 4 hours headfones on listening to bits of my collection...i have had a little reunion with my vinyl...i am gonna DJ one more time and see if i still get that "buzz"...if i dont off it goes.....lets get on down now ladies and gentlemen i give you....the snake.....how chuffing rare is my vinyl eh?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

kim...sell them yourself on here or facebook to get your best price ......but give it 12 months first then see how you feel then..everything will sell for its correct price,,as nev said yes theres packin and post office trips but it always was a labour of love

and by selling well known stuff individually for better prices you will be able to buy a few unknowns and oddball bits with the profits and still keep plenty of cash as well.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

:hatsoff2: Hi ALL IF I WAS GOING TO SELL MY COLLECTION (i'm not) iT WOULD BE TO A DEALER AS A NO SPLIT DEAL, OR INVITE ALL INTERSTED TO A AUCTION, HIRE A ROOM FOR 3 HOURS AND DO THE BUSINESS :rofl:

:g: MY COLLECTION IS IN MY WILL, FOR MICK SMITH TO SORT OUT, SO WHY NOT CONTACT MICK? :huh: DAVE

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi ALL IF I WAS GOING TO SELL MY COLLECTION (i'm not) iT WOULD BE TO A DEALER AS A NO SPLIT DEAL, OR INVITE ALL INTERSTED TO A AUCTION, HIRE A ROOM FOR 3 HOURS AND DO THE BUSINESS :rofl:

:g: MY COLLECTION IS IN MY WILL, FOR MICK SMITH TO SORT OUT, SO WHY NOT CONTACT MICK? :huh: DAVE

Have to agree with Dave - I've sold some of my bits to Mick in the past, and he is a very reasonable payer (and a good bloke to chat to!).

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Have to agree with Dave - I've sold some of my bits to Mick in the past, and he is a very reasonable payer (and a good bloke to chat to!).

Hope he stressed where the money had to go.  I've just done a will but it says exactly how much the seller has to give to the kids along with an itemised list.

That's no slur on Mick but when it's a matter of life and death and this is your only legacy to your family...

Social source share

Guest fatcontroller

Cookie, I was like you late last year, slightly dissolutioned with the soul scene in general, was'nt hearing anything really different from the norm' so I was thinking of selling up aswell. Mentioned this to Des Parker as I've picked up some really nice stuff of him over the years & he gave me the best piece of advice I have not regretted yet.Ok your situation is different from mine in so much as you don't get the chance to play them out anymore but I still do,althougth it's probably 4 to 5 nights a year I do now which is fine by me these days.

So his advise to me & this was the hardest bit, was get a box that holds a 100 records, sort out the stuff that means a lot to you & you could still play out on the odd occasion, stick them in there & get shot of the rest, after all you can only play lets say 20ish in a set can't you.

The 100 records to keep soon rose to well over to 150 so another box came out holding 180 & that I decided was my absolute max. Over the past 5 months I've sold some really nice stuff as Des would testify, 2 box's so far amounting to 400 records. Alot of it has been sold by word of mouth but I've also done well off loading it at the occasional soul night I've attended. The trick I found was to sell them slightly cheaper than the book prices, say £20-£30 knocked off if you can afford to go down that route, more in some cases but the way I look at is, alot of it was purchased years ago when prices were not stupid & I knew what to buy as being collectable.

Like Ian D I have'nt missed them so far as everything I've owned has been transfered to either my laptop or cd.

Personally I've now found the happy medium for me, I've still got what I consider to be a quality playbox to play out ( which spans a £10 David Ruffin to £600-£800 northern, 60ts & 70ts & r n b dancers) as I like to play everything if given an hours set. I 've now got the money to up date my central heating system & kithen ( although that was never the reason to sell up ) & I've still got a small slush fund to buy the odd record if I feel like it.

As for whats left, sooner or later the rest will go on a commision basis with a dealer.

Having sold 2 collections down the years & regretted it like I think most of us have if you've been in that situation,Des's advice has been invaluble & it's worked for me so far.

Mick

Social source share

i'd love to know what those 100 records were and when and how much you sold them for. Not literally every one item by item just a few examplers..................

would make interesting reading.

I may just list the ones I can remember clearly. A LOT of the better 70's stuff came from me or via me from the mid 80's as I sold to Sam, Pat and numerous collectors who dropped by. I had stacks of stuff that I didn't even rate as dancers back then - Si Hightower, Essex 1V, Four Tracks, We The People, Ujima, The Differences, the Ultimates etc, etc... 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!