Norman Connors - Take It To The Limit....12" Only?

Guest Andy Kempster

I have the 12 and used to have a 7 (I also have the album for that matter!) Can't remember what happened to the 7 but I am not sure there's any difference in playing time between any of the versions. A great side whichever format it comes in!!

Edited by steveh73
Social source share

The 12 is longer at 4:17 than the 45 (3:42).

You wouldn't have thought that the 30 or so seconds makes much of a difference but to me the 7 inch version always sounds 'chopped-off' as one of the percussion breaks into a vocal crescendo at the end is truncated.

UK 45 used to be everywhere, but in my experience the US 45 is strangely difficult to acquire, particularly on an issue. Cheap when it does turn up though.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

did this only come out on a 12" on arista

dont seem to be able to spot a 7"

First heard this spun by Steve Womble a few years ago in Modern Room at Cleethorpes Weekender. Great record. Didn't think it was that rare/hard! Found a US demo on Manships website straight away. Think I paid £8 for it :thumbsup:

He's got an issue for sale https://www.raresoulm...CONNORS,_NORMAN at £8 if you want one Andy. (sorry Keith :) )

Edited by Stubbsy
Social source share

First heard this spun by Steve Womble a few years ago in Modern Room at Cleethorpes Weekender. Great record. Didn't think it was that rare/hard! Found a US demo on Manships website straight away. Think I paid £8 for it :thumbsup:

He's got an issue for sale https://www.raresoulm...CONNORS,_NORMAN at £8 if you want one Andy. (sorry Keith :) )

I was with you in the Modern room when he played it John if you remember, and asked what it was. You got it the following week and me the week after. A great record imo, although a friend of ours (you know who, lol) branded it "disco". Was it played back in the day, and if so, where?

Social source share

I was with you in the Modern room when he played it John if you remember, and asked what it was. You got it the following week and me the week after. A great record imo, although a friend of ours (you know who, lol) branded it "disco". Was it played back in the day, and if so, where?

Hi Geoff

Yes, it was massive for Richard Searling etc in the early/mid 80's (Morecambe etc)

Think him and others played it as a new release too but i think it really came to the fore in the mid 80's?

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Yes Geoff, remember it well. Liked it so much, after Steve had given us the low down, returned from Cleethorpes and sourced mine same day!

Can't imagine who that would have been who branded it "disco" though :g::D

As we've often discussed - whatever, disco just another form of soul music :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Hi Geoff

Yes, it was massive for Richard Searling etc in the early/mid 80's (Morecambe etc)

Think him and others played it as a new release too but i think it really came to the fore in the mid 80's?

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve

Yes correct Steve, whilst I'm logged in I'll have me pennies worth................a big North West 1980 new release tune played first from the album by Richard, Kev Edwards, Colin Curtis and Greg Wilson...................Then reintroduced as a classic played along side the likes of newer released mid eighties stuff like Beau Williams - All Because Of You, Will King - Back Up Against The Wall............... :lol: . Ha ha regression is it healthy........I'm told so !!!!! :wave:

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Yes correct Steve, whilst I'm logged in I'll have me pennies worth................a big North West new release tune played first from the album by Richard, Kev Edwards, Colin Curtis and Greg Wilson................... along side the likes of Beau Williams - All Because Of You, Will King - Back Up Against The Wall............... :lol: . Ha ha regression is it healthy........I'm told so !!!!! :wave:

Thanks for the info gents. I don't know those other ones mentioned, will check them out. I think Take It To The Limit is a fabulous record, played it out myself a few times.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Thanks for the info gents. I don't know those other ones mentioned, will check them out. I think Take It To The Limit is a fabulous record, played it out myself a few times.

Hi Geoff and whilst hunting vinyl - I do seriously recommend you also checkout Norman Connors - You Are My Melody. Released on a US Capitol 45 from around 86. Taken from a album that escapes me at this present time, but should be easy enough to pick up on a major label like Capitol. Its a nice dancer up there with TITTL and a tenner well spent.

Regards,

Nick H :thumbsup: .

Social source share

Take It To The Limit was a regular play at the Cleethorpes Winter Gardens allnighters in the early 80's along with the likes of Mandrill - My Kind Of Girl, Dramatics - I Can't Stand It and Rufus & Chaka Khan - Any Love - all nice tunes but easy to pick up as recent releases at the time

Social source share

Hi Geoff and whilst hunting vinyl - I do seriously recommend you also checkout Norman Connors - You Are My Melody. Released on a US Capitol 45 from around 86. Taken from a album that escapes me at this present time, but should be easy enough to pick up on a major label like Capitol. Its a nice dancer up there with TITTL and a tenner well spent.

Regards,

Nick H :thumbsup: .

I'll check that one out too. I've got Once I've Been There and Valentine Love by Norman Connors on 45 as well as TITTL, there was a CD issued not that long ago of his tunes, must see if it's still available. i've just played it off TITTL of the link on this page and found myself shuffling around my landing, not a pretty sight. Again thanks for the information. Trouble is there are too many records I like and want, good to hear of one in my price range.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

cheers stubbsy, been wondering what to do with that £10 manship voucher my old man got me for christmas...result

this used to get spun at viables in basingstoke mid 80's, my introduction to northern nights

i was having a flashback and thought, i fancy getting myself one of those for old times sake. it definitely did it for me at the time and now almost 30 years later still sounds cracking

Social source share

Sorry to sound picky chaps, but even Richard Searling himself would admit.... this was a Hampsey 'Niter' tune at Clifon, Cleggy and everywhere else (and everyone else :D ) thereafter!

Not that it really matters LOL.

Still sounds alreet don't it!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Think you'll find that Andy Peebles played this quite a few weeks before your good self or Searling off a pre release copy on his Soul Train show Sean.

Still does sound alreet though don't it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Think you'll find that Andy Peebles played this quite a few weeks before your good self or Searling off a pre release copy on his Soul Train show Sean.

Still does sound alreet though don't it :thumbsup:

We're not talking Radio Martin. Its the 'Niter' context I was referring to (as was everyone else :P).

Andy Peebles would have been one of scores of Radio DJ's, on both sides of the Atlantic, who might have given it a spin. That could be said of most of those early 80's major label titles, from Keni Burke to Atlantic Starr.

I guess, if we're splitting hairs, Norman Connors probably played it first, to his mates in the pub after the session... but that wouldn't really have counted as a first play on the Northern Scene would it!

There's a lot of rewriting of history, as regards what went on and who played what in the early 80's.

It's an era poorly documented... and filled with urban mythology.

Just thought I should put the 'record' straight on this one, at least! :D

Sean

Social source share

We're not talking Radio Martin. Its the 'Niter' context I was referring to (as was everyone else :P).

Andy Peebles would have been one of scores of Radio DJ's, on both sides of the Atlantic, who might have given it a spin. That could be said of most of those early 80's major label titles, from Keni Burke to Atlantic Starr.

I guess, if we're splitting hairs, Norman Connors probably played it first, to his mates in the pub after the session... but that wouldn't really have counted as a first play on the Northern Scene would it!

There's a lot of rewriting of history, as regards what went on and who played what in the early 80's.

It's an era poorly documented... and filled with urban mythology.

Just thought I should put the 'record' straight on this one, at least! :D

Sean

Yawn! I thought this thread was about Norman Conners himself.

Social source share

Actually Sean, this period in time is properly documented. An old copy of Blackbeat reveals that Norman Connors was played first by 'Arry 'Ardbottom at the Ferrett & Pidgeon allnighter a full 2 weeks before you spun it mate :lol::thumbsup:

Now that I can 'almost' believe Steve.

'Arry' was always way ahead of everyone else at the time... :D

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!