Warehouse Find I Wonder How Many

Ted Massey

dude lives like a mile from me but i have no idea who they are (besides the names that was on their package and the different name on their paypal account).

I think Steve might know who it is. He had a bunch of mint MGM demo stuff coming into the store over the summer (i.e. Tony Middleton, Carol & Gerri, The Broadways, etc.). He told me a friend of his was connected to the label somehow.

Social source share

I think Steve might know who it is. He had a bunch of mint MGM demo stuff coming into the store over the summer (i.e. Tony Middleton, Carol & Gerri, The Broadways, etc.). He told me a friend of his was connected to the label somehow.

Has to be the same person I guess. My interaction with steve is 0 so I won't be asking him...

Unrelated, what are the most valuable northern records on Verve? The charades is obviously one of them. Are there any impossible to find grail titles? It would be surprising if there wasn't one.

I got an impossible verve title recently, we the people on verve (definitely the same group as on lion, one of the sides is the same). I had never even seen a copy for sale except when I googled it a very long time ago and hit a yahoo japan auction. I sent it to someone as part of my want list recently and they told me craig moerer had a copy for $18 so I bought it. It wasn't good at all, but clearly very rare. If there are things like that on the label (as there are on most major labels), you'd think there would be an ultra-rare valuable record on verve. But it seems like all the expensive titles are also pretty common. Are there other super rare verve soul titles even if they aren't valuable?

Social source share

I just looked through this discography:

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/verve.htm

I didn't really see any soul titles that appeared to be ultra-rare. Is it really just the we the people 45? Obviously I didn't know a lot of the titles, which I assumed to be rock. Also, I don't understand how the discography has numbers that are marked as unreleased and other numbers that have question marks. If someone got access to the company files, they would know that certain items are unreleased, but wouldn't they know the missing numbers? How else would they know certain items are unreleased?

Anyways, it is weird about there just being one rare soul title.

Social source share

There's a book that lists all the masters for MGM and Verve. I don't have it but I've seen it - it cost a lot of money when it was published. There's a garage 45 that was supposed to be on Verve, it was listed in Greg Shaw's want list for 20+ years and even made an Osborne price guide, but it's not in any source material regarding the label, so I presume it was a misprint. The Velvet Underground "White Light.." was claimed to have two different flip sides. The VU pic sleeve is super rare, even rarer than the Stones "Street Fighting Man" sleeve. The only really valuable garage 45on Verve is the Magic Plants - it's not especially rare on promo, but it's one the best of the genre and always in demand.

Edited by George G
Social source share

I got an impossible verve title recently, we the people on verve (definitely the same group as on lion, one of the sides is the same). I had never even seen a copy for sale except when I googled it a very long time ago and hit a yahoo japan auction. I sent it to someone as part of my want list recently and they told me craig moerer had a copy for $18 so I bought it. It wasn't good at all, but clearly very rare.

What "Right now"??? It's a lovely floating mid tempo sound. I've played it at crossover dos and been asked what it is etc. Got mine years ago for £20, and I do agree it doesn't show up. But have another listen.....

And Ted I was joking :unsure: .....Whitechapel was cleared out in the 80s......there were some pretty good records there but nothing on Shrine or Mirwood.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

What "Right now"??? It's a lovely floating mid tempo sound. I've played it at crossover dos and been asked what it is etc. Got mine years ago for £20, and I do agree it doesn't show up. But have another listen.....

And Ted I was joking :unsure: .....Whitechapel was cleared out in the 80s......there were some pretty good records there but nothing on Shrine or Mirwood.

Right Now came out on Lion also, it is common on Lion. The flip of the verve single is what I needed - "we done threw it away". That side sucks.

Social source share

what about Irma Routen not many have surfaced i hope

That is on MGM and I didn't have an MGM discography to look at, only verve. Maybe there are some super rare MGM records.

I never heard of that record until your post, btw, so I also would have assumed it was rock. Maybe some of those "rock" titles on the verve list are soul and nobody knows them?

Social source share

That is on MGM and I didn't have an MGM discography to look at, only verve. Maybe there are some super rare MGM records.

I never heard of that record until your post, btw, so I also would have assumed it was rock. Maybe some of those "rock" titles on the verve list are soul and nobody knows them?

I sold the Dean Courtney - Love you just can't walk away - MGM stock copy - for £1000.

On Verve, I suppose the rarest soul 45 is the High Keys "Living a lie" but a stock copy of Youngblood Smith would be just as expensive if not more.

Social source share

I sold the Dean Courtney - Love you just can't walk away - MGM stock copy - for £1000.

On Verve, I suppose the rarest soul 45 is the High Keys "Living a lie" but a stock copy of Youngblood Smith would be just as expensive if not more.

Remember when you sold it,you got a scan pete, was amazed when I seen a larry Clinton issue, but would have thought the dc issue was rarer
Social source share

I don't think the high keyes is really rare at all (it's not common, i'm just talking about relative rarity here). It's just in demand and expensive. Probably a lot of the $10 45s on the label are rarer.

Social source share

Ted,

Not saying she isn't Black but I wouldn't say that record sounds particularly like a soul recording. Back-up vocals sound like White guys to me and they don't come in until half way through.

Of course everybody knows she was a back-up singer for Tracy Nelson and Mother Earth, some SF 60's rock band. OK I googled it. Interestingly one of the other back-up vocalists was Dianne Davidson who had her 15 minutes on the scene with "Sympathy"That too was kinda blend of soul/rock/jazz like the Routen 45.

Can't imagine Bob is going to rate it really. if he does I'll stop watching "Supernatural"!

ROD

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

here you go Bob first heard this when Dave Abbott played it, im pretty sure shes black artist

I think she's more Jazz/Rock artist. The below Line on this page Ted

https://www.jazzinchi...ades-bill-russo

The late '60s meant Vietnam and racial unrest, and, deeply committed to civil rights, Russo co-wrote, along with a young black woman named Irma Routen, the multimedia rock opera called "The Civil War."

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

It's like a joke, Bob if you read the next sentence or is it a comment on this new phenomena of the instant expert courtesy of the World Wide Web?

Actually just another post to plug "Supernatural" and that's two on this thread now.

Of course "duh" could be a joke too.

Far out.

ROD

I was just pointing out that if someone doesn't know that about irma routen, why are they even posting here? it should be a question asked as part of the sign up process.

Social source share

That's a very fair point Bob although not one I would have assumed you were making by "duh" but then I can be less than sharp on occasions.

I also reckon entrance exams for admittance to soul clubs should be introduced whereby random matrix numbers are listed and if you can't come up with the artist,title,label and name of the lead singer's cousin you can't get in. And that's cousin on the father's side. You wouldn't believe how many people fall into the trap of naming the cousin on the mother's side. Ingenues!

I dont know what this scene is coming to!

ROD

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I would agree that the rarest Verve 45 would either be the High Keyes issue or the Youngblood Smith.

Someone listed the Charades as one of the rarest- let's take that on off the list since it's on MGM.

also, that we the people on verve is way rarer than those two 45s. have you ever seen it?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

also, that we the people on verve is way rarer than those two 45s. have you ever seen it?

I would agree that the rarest Verve 45 would either be the High Keyes issue or the Youngblood Smith.

Someone listed the Charades as one of the rarest- let's take that on off the list since it's on MGM.

I think 'the yank' is referring to stock copies of YS and HK. The promos of these records are not rare. I don't know about the stock copies but if long time collectors say they're rare, I'll take their word on it. I don't really care that much about stock vs promo if the songs are the same (which is true about for 95% of 60s promos).

As far as Verve stockers go, stock Magic Plants (the record I mentioned earlier) are pretty rare. Some of the Mothers Of Invention and Velvet Underground stock 45s are scarce, but since these artists were relatively successful and sold LPs, they probably had more stock 45s made then a no hit one shot group like the High Keys. Collectability of VU records will last for at least another generation so I expect the VU stocks to continue to bring big money.

I'd like to see a stock MGM VU 45.....I'm not sure one is known to exist.

Social source share

here you go Bob first heard this when Dave Abbott played it, im pretty sure shes black artist

I also played this before Dave, after hearing it via Brad who I think sold one to Guy H. I've had 2 copies, the last one I gave to Marco Santucci who I believe traded it on.....what's the going rate now?

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

I also played this before Dave, after hearing it via Brad who I think sold one to Guy H. I've had 2 copies, the last one I gave to Marco Santucci who I believe traded it on.....what's the going rate now?

Hi Tony...I heard Guy H play it at Rugby a couple of years back and found one for a £100 and I sold it to Dave Abbott for the same price . Haven't seen another since.

Regards

Phil

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!