Grey Imprint On Evil Bay

Nige Brown

it has been on ebay many times. i don't even think this is the first time it's on ebay after it became popular. For example, here is a sale from november:

https://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=220886408693

here is a sale from october:

https://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=250901004469

I've seen it a bunch of times before too but they don't appear to be indexed. I think I remember seeing Callum get one for $99 or something like that (sorry if I got the wrong person).

Social source share

I just bought one privately in the UK.........so all those attending the Deep South gig in Southampton on Easter Saturday will be in for a treat, thats if Mr Thorley doesnt beat me to it lol.

Its been about for years, Butch played it at least 5 years ago, probably more than that actually & I think Shifty played it at the 100 Club too, altho I could just be making that up.....

Cant wait to play mine when I get home this weekend woohoo........now someones gonna come on & go, 'well actually its not that good blah, blah'...to me its its hoofin NS with a capital H.

Russ

Social source share

Cant wait to play mine when I get home this weekend woohoo........now someones gonna come on & go, 'well actually its not that good blah, blah'...to me its its hoofin NS with a capital H.

Russ

Sorry Russ, I'd have to go along with that actually it's not that good, on hearing it just this one time, I know I'll have totally forgotten it within 2 minutes...pedestrian soul-rock, like a poor man's World Column or Manifesto. But thats just me...

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Just given it a listen,I must admit Its a strange one.

How can they make references to "brothers & sisters" and "back of the bus" given the goup line up (see earlier post/link).

Although the lead does sound black and maybe the line was different when they recorded it.

Any info ?

Kegsy

Social source share

I knew it :lol: .

Russ

Yeah ,you walked right in on that one Russ :D

i even phoned William Hill for the odds on Petes reply being negative ,and they wouldnt even take the bet :ohmy:

To be honest ,i didnt know it when i was asked to keep an eye out for it a few yr back ,and when i did my research and heard it ,it sounded the business to me .

And when it goes on the decks in a venue ..the dancers love it !

That is why it's indemand and where best to judge it :yes:

Social source share

If anyone should find the article written in soul up north can you please send me a copy - I wrote the article when I was hooked by the tune I had to find out more about it and spoke to many on the net about it ( Soulful detroit , The rare soul forum were two ref points ) , I lost my copy when I moved up North .

The tale tracks my findings/research when I was trying to find out about the members in the band . The lead singer was called Victor and I was told he was in the airforce , did the singing thing on the side. I would love to read it again .

The record is a masterpiece of soul history the lyrics are so emotive ... if it grabs you it grabs you BIG time , I love the fact the other side is called the other side :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If anyone should find the article written in soul up north can you please send me a copy - I wrote the article when I was hooked by the tune I had to find out more about it and spoke to many on the net about it ( Soulful detroit , The rare soul forum were two ref points ) , I lost my copy when I moved up North .

The tale tracks my findings/research when I was trying to find out about the members in the band . The lead singer was called Victor and I was told he was in the airforce , did the singing thing on the side. I would love to read it again .

The record is a masterpiece of soul history the lyrics are so emotive ... if it grabs you it grabs you BIG time , I love the fact the other side is called the other side :)

ill look for the mag for issue number and you should be able to get one if not ill send you my copy , col
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Pretty sure it was covered as Lou Pride Nige at least by Butch who must have been playing it around the same time as Shifty or just after.

Have to say Carms and i heard it thru Shifty before we heard Butch playing it, I remember Carms really raving on about it at the time,,

I just love it when these Strange Rare records go through normal Sales chanels like EBay

Thanks for replying Chalks

Social source share

A great record, and it was very massive over here in Germany the last couple of years. Having said that, it is almost over played by now over here with about ten DJ`s having copies and playing them out of course. Still, as I said, a great 45 indeed and Dave`s (yet) unrel. first version is very much sounding the bizz indeed !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Compared to what ?

P.s

I also asked at the bookies if I could get a bet on your usual negative response ,and guess what ??

Yeah ,they wouldn't take that bet either .lol

Yeah,,i meant the thread to be discussed from a record collectors point of view ,,, not the usual acid tongued opinion how good it is,,, that is personal choice surely!

Social source share

the grey imprint article is in issue 48, soul up north july 05 and it is your story carmen, col

Oh thanks for this :) I really would love to read it again , can you still get copies from Howard ? Is there a contact e-mail ?

I remember getting Clive to play it on the radio , It was so nice to hear it on the airwaves and to get information on them .

I suppose I felt good about giving them a little recognition be it 30 years too late be it on Clives show. I will never forget thow I felt when I first held a copy at Whitby (Tim Browns sales) ... only a collector would understand that feeling :)

I loved the sound then and I still love it now , I guess its a matter of taste , we can't all like the same things can we ? Thats what makes us all individuals . I just know that sound was special to me and when I hear it well it sends shivers up my spine , just like pookie Hudson does for others lol where as Pookie makes me cringe .

Nev you have to allow Peggy some slack , he likes to throw himself frantically around a room .... this sound is for the slower appetite :) he will get there one day ...we all do

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Yeah,,i meant the thread to be discussed from a record collectors point of view ,,, not the usual acid tongued opinion how good it is,,, that is personal choice surely!

Nige I wasn't acid tongued when I said it was not very good, it just isn't very good and I said so in a fairly downbeat manner!

Social source share

Carms

Ask Howard at the Soul Up North website he might be able to help............. https://www.soulupnorth.co.uk/index.htm

Cheers

Martyn

PS Love the tune,would love it even more if I had one :D

Social source share

Compared to what ?

P.s

I also asked at the bookies if I could get a bet on your usual negative response ,and guess what ??

Yeah ,they wouldn't take that bet either .lol

Does my head in, time and time again, the way people like yourself and Russ just can't accept that people don't like the same things as you. Especially when it's this emperors new clothes sort of thing that probably only 50 people on the entire Northern scene would admit to liking. If I told you Wayne Gibson's Under My Thumb was f*cking brilliant and you said no it's not, is that a cue for me to stereotype you with daft comments about taking bets on your reaction?

Why do you feel like you have to do it, if the records good enough it'll speak for itself won't it?

Social source share

I really like that demo precisely because it does have some jazz syncopation, nice horns, plenty of space, clear full vocal - whereas the released version sounds more like a messy rock record IMHO. When's the demo coming out Dave?

Were pretty well ready to go on the a side, but the flip needs a fair bit of restoration, so I would guess late spring before I get the whole thing together.

In response to Carms, I not saying one or the other is better by wanting to put it out. Grey Imprint has instant dancefloor appeal, but I feel the demo is more soul and black sounding. Grey Imprint were apart from the singer a white R&B/rock group a bit The Mob, Rare Earth etc. The two writers are black guys that used to work with Quinn Ivy in Muscle Shoals and I think you can hear that in the demo.

Social source share

Does my head in, time and time again, the way people like yourself and Russ just can't accept that people don't like the same things as you. Especially when it's this emperors new clothes sort of thing that probably only 50 people on the entire Northern scene would admit to liking. If I told you Wayne Gibson's Under My Thumb was f*cking brilliant and you said no it's not, is that a cue for me to stereotype you with daft comments about taking bets on your reaction?

Why do you feel like you have to do it, if the records good enough it'll speak for itself won't it?

It does Pete :)

Sorry to stereotype but I'm afraid that's irony for ya .lol

Social source share

Nige I wasn't acid tongued when I said it was not very good, it just isn't very good and I said so in a fairly downbeat manner!

Pete i really didnt mean you at all mate,,,, :thumbsup: I really think youve took Nev wrong too mate,,, but were goin off at a tangent now,,, this thread is about Grey Imprint innit!!

I think Dave T posted this demo take up before a coupla months ago,,,,, i love that too and i really find all the info about the band facinating!!

Ended £550

rare Soul 45 GREY IMPRINT on CLEAR HILL Hear!

craigmoerer | 102418 | 99.9%

US $874.21

Edited by Nige Brown
Social source share

It would be nice just for once if we could have a topic where the opinions and posts were about the subject and not about other members, too much of it just lately and too much off topic. Members, myself included are tired of opening topics to read something that has no relevance to the topic or is another dig at another member, time it was cut out altogether.

Social source share

Have to say Carms and i heard it thru Shifty before we heard Butch playing it, I remember Carms really raving on about it at the time,,

I just love it when these Strange Rare records go through normal Sales chanels like EBay

Thanks for replying Chalks

Pretty sure Nige it was Shifty I first heard play this but don't think Butch was long in getting one. As said most of the top Dj's have it now. Look forward to Dave T's release, only way I can afford this :-)

Whatever some think of the record it is a great looking label :-)

Social source share