Dont People Shop Around/or Have Some Got To Much Money

Sheldonsoul

Just browsing e bay and a few sites eg manship ,pat Brady ,When I noticed on bradys a copy of Diane Lewis without your love currently at £425.00 with 3 days to go, then looked on e bay and there's a minter for sale at£325.00 on buy it now, which got me thinking don't people shop around , or is it a case of to much money and can't be arsed to scour other avenues

Social source share

Just browsing e bay and a few sites eg manship ,pat Brady ,When I noticed on bradys a copy of Diane Lewis without your love currently at £425.00 with 3 days to go, then looked on e bay and there's a minter for sale at£325.00 on buy it now, which got me thinking don't people shop around , or is it a case of to much money and can't be arsed to scour other avenues

do some people only like to buy from people they know and don't mind paying a premium to do so ?

Social source share

Every week, I spend one day going round the website like John Manship, Rare Northern Soul, Select 45 RPM etc, I make a list of all their rare and especially lesser known British label releases, and then I go and find them at up to 95% cheaper than they're selling them for, that is the whole art of collecting - finding expensive records cheap! And I am not lying to you when I say this year alone I've found over 40 records this way. The biggest price difference was one on sale for £200 which I bought as a buy it now of Ebay for £6. All these records can be seen on those videos I made called Lost Vinyl Gems of the 60's.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think Phil is Implying that a good way to get people to give you their rare records to auction is to have a lot of high value auction results be they real or imaginary. Who would know?

Of course I doubt anyone would go to such lengths. I mean business just isn't like that is it? :huh:

Isn't it Phil that often posts up the results of a well know sellers auctions. :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

do some people only like to buy from people they know and don't mind paying a premium to do so ?

some people dont like to shop online..ive literally had people tell me they will pay me more than the going rate for a record just to save them the online searching headache..not to mention some people just really dont have the time or the patience

Social source share

I think Phil is Implying that a good way to get people to give you their rare records to auction is to have a lot of high value auction results be they real or imaginary. Who would know?

No I didn't mean that Ged. If you had had any dealings with the auctions then you would know the score. I'm not about to make allegations on an open forum. I'm just saying, that if you believe everything you read, then you are being very naive mate.

Of course I doubt anyone would go to such lengths. I mean business just isn't like that is it? :huh:

Isn't it Phil that often posts up the results of a well know sellers auctions. :g:

Nope, not guilty.

Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

Every week, I spend one day going round the website like John Manship, Rare Northern Soul, Select 45 RPM etc, I make a list of all their rare and especially lesser known British label releases, and then I go and find them at up to 95% cheaper than they're selling them for, that is the whole art of collecting - finding expensive records cheap! And I am not lying to you when I say this year alone I've found over 40 records this way. The biggest price difference was one on sale for £200 which I bought as a buy it now of Ebay for £6. All these records can be seen on those videos I made called Lost Vinyl Gems of the 60's.

snap pete i have had quite a few bargains this way just like trwling through records only easier

Social source share

Guest soulsurfer81

Who knows what motivates people not to shop around. As a "new collector" I was initially pulled towards a few websites where I had assumed that I would be getting quality and value for money but ended up sometimes paying over the odds. Since then I've introduced a few criteria and like others here enjoy the search process and hopefully end up with vinyl I am happy with at a good price. In general, across all services and products, there are so many consumers who do not shop around hence the appearance of comparison websites. P.S. Beware the Meerkat!

Social source share

I always shop around; it generally shocks me how much some folk on this site pay for supposedly rare 45's, that blatantly aren't, and are readily available. I go back to allot of regular dealers and collectors I've bought from before, and I'm especially suspicious of allot of the new sellers that are advertising on this site as well as eBay, you hear to many horror stories to not turn up in person and do the deal as it were..

Mal.

Social source share

No I didn't mean that Ged. If you had had any dealings with the auctions then you would know the score. I'm not about to make allegations on an open forum. I'm just saying, that if you believe everything you read, then you are being very naive mate.

Nope, not guilty.

I've had dealings with auctions as a buyer and a seller Phil and I too can read between the lines and guess at what may or may not be the motivations of sellers and dealers. Just like you I wouldn't dream of accusing any one of anything.

Apologies for thinking you linked the results of tims auctions to the site. Not sure who that was but my mistake mate.

Social source share

I've had dealings with auctions as a buyer and a seller Phil and I too can read between the lines and guess at what may or may not be the motivations of sellers and dealers. Just like you I wouldn't dream of accusing any one of anything.

Apologies for thinking you linked the results of tims auctions to the site. Not sure who that was but my mistake mate.

I think The Guru [Rod Shard] has put the auction prices up. Not sure though as I don't get on here much these days Ged.

Social source share

ive seen people bidding a record up to 100 quid on one of moerers ebay auctions when moerer himself has them on his website ~AND ebay shop for 25 usd.

theres enough scope to get mugged on ebay as it but actually mugging yourself is brilliant.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!