Acetate " Baby " Who Is It?

Briank

We do not know how much it predates it....Ramsey Lewis Argo 5481 release date is October 10, 1964 and Doug Banks is Argo 5483 which is after this. Mass production of 78s stopped around 1960 from what I've heard. I'm not in disagreement, but just wondering why they opted to record it at 78 rather than 45. Out of this collection of acetates of which there were over 100 this is the only one done this way. I have heard especially from 78 collectors that 78s sound better than 45s and maybe that's why this was done.

Social source share

The Doug Banks is a masterpiece of Big City soul and a record I could never bring myself to sell no matter how much I loathe "I Just Kept On Dancing". This is more like a songwriters' demo and lacks all the peaks, troughs and tension in the arrangement and the masterful vocal control which makes the Argo release so great. The vocalist sounds white to me.

Interesting though and thanks for posting it.

Social source share

The second file you've posted sounds just like a Doug Banks vocal but over a different instrumental take to the finished Argo 45. Are these both on the same acetate?

Like Tony says above it was not completely unusual for acetates to be cut at 78rpm well into the 1960s.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!