Cut Outs - Help Requested

• Replies 11
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Did anyone on here ever deal with any of the large cut out dealers in the 70s? Especially John LaMonte's House Of Sounds located in Darby, Phildelphia? I'm looking for some info on the city's record dealings.

ANY info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Well I was there in 1976 but I can't say I really dealt with them per se. It was the most amount of 45's I've ever seen under one roof in my life. A huge operation with hundreds of millions of cut-out 45's in a one block long and one block wide building with 5 stories and every story was filled with 20' x 20' wooden crates full of records. I think Rick Cooper and John Anderson would be the guys to speak to.

There's a tremendous amount of information on John Lamonte and House Of Sounds in the book "Stiffed: The True Story Of MCA, The Music Business And The Mafia" by William Knoedelseder:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stiffed-Story-Music-Business-Mafia/dp/0060924942

John got badly beaten up by Morris Levy's thugs and had to have a full facial reconstruction before he went into the witness protection programme in the 'cut-out' scandal that plagued MCA in the mid 80's. The above book documents the whole case and is a cracking read!

Ian D :D

Social source share

Hi Dave,

Well I was there in 1976 but I can't say I really dealt with them per se. It was the most amount of 45's I've ever seen under one roof in my life. A huge operation with hundreds of millions of cut-out 45's in a one block long and one block wide building with 5 stories and every story was filled with 20' x 20' wooden crates full of records. I think Rick Cooper and John Anderson would be the guys to speak to.

There's a tremendous amount of information on John Lamonte and House Of Sounds in the book "Stiffed: The True Story Of MCA, The Music Business And The Mafia" by William Knoedelseder:-

https://www.amazon.co...a/dp/0060924942

John got badly beaten up by Morris Levy's thugs and had to have a full facial reconstruction before he went into the witness protection programme in the 'cut-out' scandal that plagued MCA in the mid 80's. The above book documents the whole case and is a cracking read!

Yep,

I've read the book and a couple of others about the cut out side of the business. Am now looking for someone to tie up that side of things with the UK thirst for soul 45s.

There are a number of different versions of the John LaMonte story.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Hi Dave,

https://www.amazon.co...a/dp/0060924942

Nice one Ian, just ordered this after reading the reviews.

Social source share

Just a quick teaser to what I'm about to tell Dave, JLM bought all the cut outs from Tone Distributors Miami in 1976. This was the load that had hundreds of Jimmy Bo Horne's I Just Can't Speak plus Mel Britts etc etc.

John Anderson was there first with me picking up the slack.

Social source share

Just a quick teaser to what I'm about to tell Dave, JLM bought all the cut outs from Tone Distributors Miami in 1976. This was the load that had hundreds of Jimmy Bo Horne's I Just Can't Speak plus Mel Britts etc etc.

John Anderson was there first with me picking up the slack.

Yep, I guess you had to deal regularly with John simply in order to know which of the hundreds and hundreds of crates to look through! I reckon it would have

taken years to go through the lot properly. If ever there were such a thing as too many records, then House Of Sounds was it LOL....

Social source share

He also got the VeeJay cut outs to the first Beatles LP. He then secured the deal for the cut outs to Let It Be and proceeded to bootleg it, then hide all the sales in the deal. No wonder Mr Levy and his associates "had a word'.

Proper record blokes, from a time long gone now.

NO MORE TALES......!!

You'll have to buy the book in September! :thumbsup::lol: :lol:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Rick cooper, can probably add more than I can, but I went to House of sounds, in 1977/1978, if memory serves me, a number of floors, via a lift, locked in, and didn't find, many records, so and so, had just been, well gone through. But, as I've said before, didn't the sound of soul, records come out of there, ie E.J.chandler.

Social source share

Hello Dave,

Also search the Billboard archives on google books, I remember seeing a few references to Lamonte there.

Remember to search under "Out of the Past" as well as "House of Sounds".

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert