J J Jackson - Oo Ma Li Di - Prelude Or Storm

Denbo

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Also demo only on Candix circa 1961

Hey Martin, How's things with you? Recovering suitably well I hope?

Thanks for the info. I'd forgotten it also came out on Candix and after checking the label dicography, I see it's not listed, as your snippet of info would support. However, how do you know it was a circa '61 release, or non-release as the case may be?

Social source share

Thanks Joe.

So, who can confirm this for me (us)?

As far as I recall the Candix label was not pressed by Monarch . Surfin' by the beach boys on the label was released in 1961 and the label went bust early 1962 so that's why I guess 1961.

Edited by Rbman
Social source share

The recording sounds way too old in acoustics and song-writing style to be from 1965. I bought those Storm records in about 1962. I guessed they were released in 1961 or 1962. The Prelude release is likely just a re-issue of J.J. and The Jackals, June Jackson put out in 1965 to try to cash in on his local popularity. He was making some appearences in the L.A. area then (which got him his contract with Imperial). Does anyone here know who owned Prelude Records?

Social source share

Billboard Music Week dated January 23 1961 (page 18) is a paid advert for a number or Storm label releases (noted as distributed by Candix) which includes J J Jackson (501 label number) .

therefore I suggest it was released late 1960 because it is referred to as a smash hit!

Edited by Rbman
Social source share

Billboard Music Week dated January 23 1961 (page 18) is a paid advert for a number or Storm label releases (noted as distributed by Candix) which includes J J Jackson (501 label number) .

therefore I suggest it was released late 1960 because it is referred to as a smash hit!

Thanks again Martin.

You out and about yet? Back at work?

Whichever, take care pal.

Social source share

The recording sounds way too old in acoustics and song-writing style to be from 1965. I bought those Storm records in about 1962. I guessed they were released in 1961 or 1962. The Prelude release is likely just a re-issue of J.J. and The Jackals, June Jackson put out in 1965 to try to cash in on his local popularity. He was making some appearences in the L.A. area then (which got him his contract with Imperial). Does anyone here know who owned Prelude Records?

H.B. Barnum?

Social source share

Wasn't Prelude a Philly based reissue kinda label?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert