Shelleys Longton

Guest FrostyJak

Yup, I also remember an alldayer at the same venue that resulted in a massive brawl between local Mods, Scooterboys and Skinheads....

I heard you were dragged on stage by King Kurt, Mace, and then a gallon or snakebite was poured down you gullet, any truth in the rumour? pmsl.

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

Yup, I also remember an alldayer at the same venue that resulted in a massive brawl between local Mods, Scooterboys and Skinheads....

Ayup me owd how doin :thumbsup:

Do you remember the dayers at Jolleys :g:

Social source share

I heard you were dragged on stage by King Kurt, Mace, and then a gallon or snakebite was poured down you gullet, any truth in the rumour? pmsl.

It's a lie.....there was no dragging required!

Actually, I never was into King Kurt / Meteors etc though most of Pool Dam S.C. who I used to knock about with were....I was more into the mod scene than the scooterist thing.

Coincidentally, when Twangy asks me about various R&B records we used to play on the Mod scene in the late 80s, I consistantly remind him he wasted too many years listening to that shite instead of getting into proper music at an early age.

:lol:

Social source share

Ayup me owd how doin :thumbsup:

Do you remember the dayers at Jolleys :g:

Alright pal, hope you're well.

Don't recall going to owt when it was called Jollies, pretty sure it was renamed The Princess Suite by the time I was knocking about.

I ran a Mod Allnighter there, as well as having my 18th there (1986).....also co-promoted a few R&B Allnighters there with Chris Burton just before his Dells gig @ Trentham Gardens.

Social source share

It's a lie.....there was no dragging required!

Actually, I never was into King Kurt / Meteors etc though most of Pool Dam S.C. who I used to knock about with were....I was more into the mod scene than the scooterist thing.

Coincidentally, when Twangy asks me about various R&B records we used to play on the Mod scene in the late 80s, I consistantly remind him he wasted too many years listening to that shite instead of getting into proper music at an early age.

:lol:

I'm a bit guilty of that too mace.

Social source share

Never went Shellys

But heard all about it ,,, Im sure Chis Burton /Keith Minshull maybe promoted a couple of things their too

I DID attentd the All Niters over the road ,, The Princess Suite ( Jolleys) above the Bus Station,,,

I seem to remember going the Bear Pub Soul Cellarin Newcastle,, then onto the Princess Suite Niter after!!

Happy Days

N x

Edited by Nige Brown
Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

Yep it was called Princess suite at the time i'm thinking of ,thanks for reminding me.

Jollies was more yer "chicken in basket" type place, seem to remember seeing 3 Degrees and some motown acts there supremes & tops late 70's :g: but can't sure

Social source share

Never went Shellys

But heard all about it ,,, Im sure Chis Burton /Keith Minshull maybe promoted a couple of things their too

I DID attentd the All Niters over the road ,, The Princess Suite ( Jolleys) above the Bus Station,,,

I seem to remember going the Bear Pub Soul Cellarin Newcastle,, then onto the Princess Suite Niter after!!

Happy Days

N x

I'm sure Keith did run some events there.

Chris Burton definately did later on cus I did a few 2 room niters there with him, should imagine he had also used it prior to then though.

A mate of Neil Clowes sorted me out for hiring the venue at the time but can't remember his name.... I remember he had a TV shop in Tunstall and he used to DJ round Tunstall /Burslem etc with Clowsey.

Johnny Beggs and Duncan Pollet ran the do's at The Bear.

Social source share

Yep it was called Princess suite at the time i'm thinking of ,thanks for reminding me.

Jollies was more yer "chicken in basket" type place, seem to remember seeing 3 Degrees and some motown acts there supremes & tops late 70's :g: but can't sure

The soul events at the Princess Suite were usually in the back rooms from what I recall.

They still had a massive cabaret room at the front of the building for the Chicken in Baskets crowd, but not sure if it was used much.

Later on another room appeared somewhere off the 2 back rooms that I'd never seen before......was a much bigger venue than you'd think it was.

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Alright pal, hope you're well.

Don't recall going to owt when it was called Jollies, pretty sure it was renamed The Princess Suite by the time I was knocking about.

I ran a Mod Allnighter there, as well as having my 18th there (1986).....also co-promoted a few R&B Allnighters there with Chris Burton just before his Dells gig @ Trentham Gardens.

I remember all the above :thumbup: I'll keep quiet about your 18th, and won't publish any photo's on here :shhh:

I do remember it being called Jollies as well, a modern soul all-nighter, in August 1999, with Dave Thorley, Gavin Page & I think Gary Welsh at the decks. It was a fantastic night, just didn't get the numbers :(

Also went to Shelley's :hypo: but that's another thread :D

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

I remember all the above :thumbup: I'll keep quiet about your 18th, and won't publish any photo's on here :shhh:

Please don't publish photos... :lol:

I have vague memories of an 'I love London' type Tshirt and a tie that was about 10ft long.......and I'd rather keep them vague :D

Edited by Mace
Social source share

wasnt The Bear run by chris savoury and more 6ts club soul than northern circa 79

It started in 77, every Monday with Dave Bell & Billy 2sheds playing northern & Phil Oliver playing jazz funk. It then moved to once a month on Fridays (same night as the Wigan oldies) with Dave Bell, Nick Marshall & Chris Savory, Beggsy & Duncan took over from them. It was a great pub, sadly it's been turned into flats now.

Social source share

thanks crumb it was the names i couldnt rember,

Dave Bell tried a couple of re-union do's about 12 years ago, the first one was great but the next 2 didn't get many in.

On hot summer nights when the window was open you'd be sitting there & the landlord's horse would stick his head through the window, right next to your head. Didn't half sh!t you up.

Social source share

It started in 77, every Monday with Dave Bell & Billy 2sheds playing northern & Phil Oliver playing jazz funk. It then moved to once a month on Fridays (same night as the Wigan oldies) with Dave Bell, Nick Marshall & Chris Savory, Beggsy & Duncan took over from them. It was a great pub, sadly it's been turned into flats now.

It was a bostin nite ,,, we loved it!!

The land lord was a misrable tw+t though ,,, think his mane was Henry???

Used to get bloody rammed ,,, a miniture 100 club lol

Remember Sue "Robbo" Robbins,Sharon Crazy Legs , Blondie,,,Andy Brown , Dave Alcock, Racca, Kev & Jackie Tyler,, etc etc

And what top bloke Dunkan was,,, fabulous dancer!!

Like i said happy days

Nige

PS When we ued to go it were Chris Savoury , Nick Marshall Ran it and Dave Dell was main DJ,,,, Im Sure Johnny & Duncan run it after them,,,, calling them selves The Soul CowBoys or summat like that,,, Ask Johnny Mace !!

Edited by Nige Brown
Social source share

Remember Sue "Robbo" Robbins,Sharon Crazy Legs , Blondie,,,Andy Brown , Dave Alcock, Racca, Kev & Jackie Tyler,, etc etc

Like i said happy days

Nige

PS When we ued to go it were Chris Savoury , Nick Marshall Ran it and Dave Dell was main DJ,,,, Im Sure Johnny & Duncan run it after them,,,, calling them selves The Soul CowBoys or summat like that,,, Ask Johnny Mace !!

Yeah, it was Henry, he was a great landlord, don't think anyone else would have put up with us lot like he did. He did do a good impersonation of a miserable tw!t though.

Social source share

Like i said happy days

Nige

T'was actually the 'Northern Cowboys'.....they did some great p*sstake flyers.

Beggsy compiled a Northern Cowboys CD which included a small booklet that had lots of the flyers in it.

Got a copy somewhere, will have to dig it out and post up some scans.

Will have to remember to ask him when they took over, though he is knocking on a bit now so his memory ain't what it used to be....especially when it come to remembering it's his turn to the bar :D

Social source share

Old mate of mine from Brum used to run the Lazerdrome at Shelleys... great venue, good write up linked below on Martin Red..

https://www.fantazia....s/martinred.htm

Obviously this is not Soul, no where near it, but one record that epitimises those early nights was Meat Beat Manifesto - Radio Babylon, probably not to all your tastes but this record literally rocked that venue pretty much more than anywhere I've ever been, Absolute Awesome record!!

Mal.C.

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

Old mate of mine from Brum used to run the Lazerdrome at Shelleys... great venue, good write up linked below on Martin Red..

https://www.fantazia....s/martinred.htm

Obviously this is not Soul, no where near it, but one record that epitimises those early nights was Meat Beat Manifesto - Radio Babylon, probably not to all your tastes but this record literally rocked that venue pretty much more than anywhere I've ever been, Absolute Awesome record!!

Mal.C.

Well worth watching the other stuff about the rave scene at shelleys on youtube :thumbsup: The music ain't my bag but some of the moves defo worth a look :lol:

Social source share

T'was actually the 'Northern Cowboys'.....they did some great p*sstake flyers.

Beggsy compiled a Northern Cowboys CD which included a small booklet that had lots of the flyers in it.

Got a copy somewhere, will have to dig it out and post up some scans.

Will have to remember to ask him when they took over, though he is knocking on a bit now so his memory ain't what it used to be....especially when it come to remembering it's his turn to the bar :D

I too have some flyers somewhere i save all sorts ,, they were in Cartoon Form wernt they like a little story, very good for the day,,,, i have to say never saw the CD,,, id love one of those if anyone dont want theres anymore

I bet Mr Beggs is older than me even :wink:

Nice one Mace

N x

Social source share

If I were a few years older I would've spent a lot of weekends at shellys when it was the rave / techno venue. I was just a touch to young but the older lads we knew all used to go and raved about the place.

The rave nights were utter messy chaos. Loved it and had some cracking times there. Spotted quite a few of the soul crowd there too.

Didn't know it was used for soul nights previous though.

Social source share

Likewise, I never knew the venue had soul events. Can I ask did you go to Shelly's on Friday's or Saturdays? Friday was pretty much a Birmingham night, loads of us traveled over, Saturday all the Manchester lot were there, and I distinctly remember some of the very first spots for a certain DJ Sasha...

Best memory New Years eve, either 90 or 91, cant remember which. So on the stroke of Midnight who ever was DJ'n was looping or playing the beginning part of Orange Lemon - Dreams of Santana, just wound everybody right up, and then he lets it play right through on the break...and BANG!!! place literally goes WILD!!!! we all dropped what ever to coincide with midnight, I remember being so nutted all I could do was jump up and down next to the bar.......

Very Happy Days :)

Mal.C :rofl:

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

I too have some flyers somewhere i save all sorts ,, they were in Cartoon Form wernt they like a little story, very good for the day,,,, i have to say never saw the CD,,, id love one of those if anyone dont want theres anymore

I bet Mr Beggs is older than me even :wink:

Nice one Mace

N x

post-8842-0-53016200-1328801330_thumb.jp

Happy days !!

Spook

Social source share

Well worth watching the other stuff about the rave scene at shelleys on youtube :thumbsup: The music ain't my bag but some of the moves defo worth a look :lol:

From August 90 till may 91, Delite was THE biggest club night bar none in the north west ( the hac was busy applying for a new licience!) and certainly one of the most influentail of all the early rave clubs. Sasha was the man, but Dave Seaman, Laurent Garnier and Golden's Pete Bromly supported the wax spinning. Music was a mix of Chicago house, Italo and european piano house Anthems, Contrary to what many think of as early rave tunes the tempo was often slow and the vibe mellow man, musta been the Doves, LOL.

Social source share

Likewise, I never knew the venue had soul events. Can I ask did you go to Shelly's on Friday's or Saturdays? Friday was pretty much a Birmingham night, loads of us traveled over, Saturday all the Manchester lot were there, and I distinctly remember some of the very first spots for a certain DJ Sasha...

Best memory New Years eve, either 90 or 91, cant remember which. So on the stroke of Midnight who ever was DJ'n was looping or playing the beginning part of Orange Lemon - Dreams of Santana, just wound everybody right up, and then he lets it play right through on the break...and BANG!!! place literally goes WILD!!!! we all dropped what ever to coincide with midnight, I remember being so nutted all I could do was jump up and down next to the bar.......

Very Happy Days :)

Mal.C :rofl:

The Eclipse night were bleedin awful all the grooverider sh**e! bangin techno, Delight was where it were at if you had any soul left in yer!

Social source share

From August 90 till may 91, Delite was THE biggest club night bar none in the north west ( the hac was busy applying for a new licience!) and certainly one of the most influentail of all the early rave clubs. Sasha was the man, but Dave Seaman, Laurent Garnier and Golden's Pete Bromly supported the wax spinning. Music was a mix of Chicago house, Italo and european piano house Anthems, Contrary to what many think of as early rave tunes the tempo was often slow and the vibe mellow man, musta been the Doves, LOL.

I'm on the podium wearing a bobble hat and oakley shades, at night!

Social source share

The Eclipse night were bleedin awful all the grooverider sh**e! bangin techno, Delight was where it were at if you had any soul left in yer!

yep we used to go there as well, it was a moody venue, Coventry always has been especially if your from Birmingham, its funny cause later on we stopped going to these do's and started at the Safari club, the ryan Brothers Boat trips, and going to Flying nights in London, Delite we heard about but never went, we used to go to Nottingham and Leeds, otherwise we would head down south, its the thing with Birmingham we could get most places easily so we did make allot of friends on the scene in other cities.

For me though there always was a separation from tracks like landlord - I Like it and the real silly rave stuff Network records started to put out, Altern 8 and all that, its the difference between Outlander and Energy flash say, all of a sudden the real crap pushed us away, I mean Mr Kirk your son is dead was and is pure S***!

Early on guys like Martin Red, Mickie Rose aka Unknown DJ, Lee Fisher, Jock, and Dick and Suck, (Richard and Keith suckling to people who knew them) really played music from all sources, very much like the early days of the Northern soul scene, like little Queenie with Little Antony say...

I'd never bother collecting the obscure House / rave stuff these days cause only 2 out of every 50 produced was any good, I am buying back allot of the collection I sold in 93 though; but the depth with soul music really is good, there is very little I really don't like.

Hey its all good!!

mal

Social source share

Friday nights a few times but had the queue early on to get in so struggled often with working late back then and Saturday nights. Preferred Fridays, Delight I think the nights were called. Saw Sasha when he was starting out and in my view much better than his progressive Renaisance days.

Also did Eclipse, Amnesia House nighters; including the one were it was Northern downstairs.

Social source share

You're dead right, Delite was the one everyone from our neck of the woods tried to make, the alternative for us were nights like bounce or Flying at Venus.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Top Rank,Hanley,

Apollo,Longton

Strikes,Burslem,

the last two would not have been known to many

:wink:

I'd add freetown and left bank to the list, think Johnny B and duncan did soul nights there, and what about the Bear in Castle youth! Jez mentioned a club in stoke from the early 7ts, anyone?

Social source share

Friday nights a few times but had the queue early on to get in so struggled often with working late back then and Saturday nights. Preferred Fridays, Delight I think the nights were called. Saw Sasha when he was starting out and in my view much better than his progressive Renaisance days.

Also did Eclipse, Amnesia House nighters; including the one were it was Northern downstairs.

I went to that, with the northern night downstairs, think it was boxing night 1990, I lost it big time though! LOL, Seem to remember Njoi did a PA with Sasha DJing.

Social source share

I'd add freetown and left bank to the list, think Johnny B and duncan did soul nights there, and what about the Bear in Castle youth! Jez mentioned a club in stoke from the early 7ts, anyone?

..eerrmm that'll be the 'Inset' on Liverpool road.

Not forgetting the 'Penny Farthing' ..up Hanley duck---late 60's early 70's--- mixed in 'club soul' with---er well whatever they felt like lol :)

Keith Minshull also used to run mid week soul nights at Kidsgrove Town Hall...circa 1970....bit of a treat coz you'd get to hear the 'Friday night Torch tunes ' ..in mid week :yes:

Social source share

..eerrmm that'll be the 'Inset' on Liverpool road.

Not forgetting the 'Penny Farthing' ..up Hanley duck---late 60's early 70's--- mixed in 'club soul' with---er well whatever they felt like lol :)

Keith Minshull also used to run mid week soul nights at Kidsgrove Town Hall...circa 1970....bit of a treat coz you'd get to hear the 'Friday night Torch tunes ' ..in mid week :yes:

We used go the Penny Farthing 1970-71 ,,, We used to go up there in an old Morris Minor Traveler,,, it was above Hanley Bus station and was reputed to be financed with money from the Krays !!! They played the motown and stuff wasnt really a Soul venue,,, lovely women in there though!! :yes:

On Saturdays also at the Bus Station there was a row of shops,,, they may still be there,,,one of the shops sold records US IMPORTS,,, nothing major but Sold Ric Tics , Golden Worlds, Okehs plus all the UK stuff etc,,, where they came from i dont know ,,, as young lads we were in our element,,,

N x

Social source share

We used go the Penny Farthing 1970-71 ,,, We used to go up there in an old Morris Minor Traveler,,, it was above Hanley Bus station and was reputed to be financed with money from the Krays !!! They played the motown and stuff wasnt really a Soul venue,,, lovely women in there though!! :yes:

On Saturdays also at the Bus Station there was a row of shops,,, they may still be there,,,one of the shops sold records US IMPORTS,,, nothing major but Sold Ric Tics , Golden Worlds, Okehs plus all the UK stuff etc,,, where they came from i dont know ,,, as young lads we were in our element,,,

N x

..Cant say I ever noticed Nige :ohmy::wicked: :wicked: :D :D

...Do remember a record shop down there---didn't they used to sell musical instruments and sheet music for pianos and stuff like that as well. Also a 'John Smedley,Farah,gabicci type mens outfitters......

Social source share

..Cant say I ever noticed Nige :ohmy::wicked: :wicked: :D :D

...Do remember a record shop down there---didn't they used to sell musical instruments and sheet music for pianos and stuff like that as well. Also a 'John Smedley,Farah,gabicci type mens outfitters......

the music shop was chatfields wasnt it? and is the clothes shop chawners Jez, cause I was just a bairn back then, LOL.

Social source share

Recognise allot of mates in the crowd, think I would have been there that night , you never missed it..

m

think I missed one delight to go to pickering's night at the Hac, the night someone set into the doormen with an axe, I kid you not! Twas the first time he played Whitney v's leftfiled, me mate's were going mental about it and i had to wait a whole week to hear it! I was gutted!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!