Barbara Acklin-Am I The Same Girl-Mca British

arnie j

• Replies 30
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Barbara Acklin goes for good money on Aussie Coral or Ampar...one of them. Earlier this year a really nice copy of a male vocal version of the tune by "orlando" whoever the devil that is , on a british label went for around 75 quid. The Salena Jones take is also well worth a listen...on DECCA i think.....

Last year I managed to get ahold of a pretty obscure aussie take by a country pop singer Alison Durbin" on an Aussie Columbia 45...it's a bit slower and chilled out....whatever version...it's a ripping bloody tune!

Social source share

Barbara Acklin goes for good money on Aussie Coral or Ampar...one of them. Earlier this year a really nice copy of a male vocal version of the tune by "orlando" whoever the devil that is , on a british label went for around 75 quid. The Salena Jones take is also well worth a listen...on DECCA i think.....

Last year I managed to get ahold of a pretty obscure aussie take by a country pop singer Alison Durbin" on an Aussie Columbia 45...it's a bit slower and chilled out....whatever version...it's a ripping bloody tune!

Amazing that the Orlando version sold for anything over a fiver. It's on Nems. The UK Barbara Acklin on yellow MCA is worth about a fiver.

Social source share

I'm sure I've heard a more recent tune with the same backing as this played out in bloody New Look or some such shop, whilst out with the wife and kids! Different words, but definately same music.

Joss Stone (uses the Young / Holt soulful strut backing I think)? Or too obvious.

Must admit I'll stick my neck out here on this thread, and I do genuinely like Miss Acklin (check out her Lp only version of 'I'll keep on holding on" needs playing out would be maseeve bla bla), but her vocals kinda grate on me on Same Girl, loses her pitch cringingly on more than one occasion.

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

My favourite version is the Salena Jones take. I have it on the "Everybody's talking" LP, but I heard it aslo came out on a Dutch CBS 7". Can anyone verify that and give me an idea of how often it comes up, and at what cost?

Was going to ask this in a seperate post, but this seemed a good opportunity !

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

seriously jason you should stretch it to 20 quid but no more,,tim brown looks like the best option to buy now but you could sneak the ebay copy

thanks for that dave,i took your advice and bought it from tim brown for £15,its great that you can still get records of this quality for a little money,thanks all

jason

Social source share

My favourite version is the Salena Jones take. I have it on the "Everybody's talking" LP, but I heard it aslo came out on a Dutch CBS 7". Can anyone verify that and give me an idea of how often it comes up, and at what cost?

Dave

Yup, dutch 45 only. Goes for about 100 quid...

Social source share

I'm sure I've heard a more recent tune with the same backing as this played out in bloody New Look or some such shop, whilst out with the wife and kids! Different words, but definately same music.

Bet it was this one mate , used to go to school with her And ... (never mind eh!)

'kin link wont work - but 'Swing Out Sister - am I the same girl '

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Edited by SWIFTY
Social source share

Yup, dutch 45 only. Goes for about 100 quid...

There's one on eBay at the moment for 49 euros courtesy of a seller in the Netherlands. Pic sleeve is a bit tatty looking though.

>>> 220938918260

Social source share

Joss Stone (uses the Young / Holt soulful strut backing I think)? Or too obvious.

Must admit I'll stick my neck out here on this thread, and I do genuinely like Miss Acklin (check out her Lp only version of 'I'll keep on holding on" needs playing out would be maseeve bla bla), but her vocals kinda grate on me on Same Girl, loses her pitch cringingly on more than one occasion.

Know what you mean. I could never stand her 'flights of vocal fancy' on 'I Get The Sweetest Feeling' with Jackie Wilson for the same reason.

Social source share

I reckon this BabsA track must be a contender for gaining the most worldwide releases?

I also like the flipsdie, 'Be By My Side'...fab tuneage.

Here is the Japanese release, along with the Young Holt inst as well.

:hatsoff2:

post-9555-0-56616300-1328415324_thumb.jp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert