Ebay Bidding.how Does This Work

Guest smudgesmith

Guest smudgesmith

Item listed on Ebay starting price 99p (its worth several hundred)

1st bidder raises bid to £9.99p

I bid several hundred but a lot less than the item is worth,I become highest bidder at about £11.00

Another bidder exceeds my highest bid and I recieve email saying Ive been outbid......so far so good.This bidder then retracts his/her bid.

I then recieve an email from ebay saying Im now the highest bidder at my maximum amount (several hundred)

Surley I should only be bidding the next increment after £11.00 or at £11.00

Any ideas???

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

you have been done, the person who pulled out was bidding for them, they find out was your highest bid was this way, if no one else bids on it you get it for £11 they dont like that so they bid it draws out your highest bid (eg your are prepared to pay £200)you get the you are the highset bidder e mail,check the other bidders history on this item and it should show what they are bidding on and the percentage of bids placed with the seller,,,,hope this is clear

Social source share

Surley I should only be bidding the next increment after £11.00 or at £11.00

Any ideas???

The same thing happens if you are 2nd in the auction when it finishes and

the winner declines to buy, you are then 2nd chanced it at your top bid

for example your 2nd chance would be $490 (bid increments are $5 from $250 - 499.99)

Winner bid is $495

you are 2nd with $490

3rd could have bid as low as $150

Instead of your 2nd chance being £152.51( bid increment $2.50 from $100 - $249.99)

I would retract your bid, and bid again at a lower price if you think something fishy is going on.

David

Social source share

It's clearly a fake bid to figure out your max, a retraction, and then a second bid to knock up the bid up to your max. Much stupider and obvious than regular shill bidding (which just attempts to push you to your max and then might result in a second chance offer if they end up outbidding you). You should definitely report this to ebay ASAP.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Just had this from Ebay

270899438824 - JIMMY BURNS - I REALLY LOVE YOU / I LOVE YOU GIRL. NORTHERN SOUL. ERICA 45

If you haven't yet paid for this item, we strongly recommend that you do not complete this purchase. If the seller asks you to continue with the sale after the item has been ended by eBay, the item won't be covered by eBay buyer protection. Purchases completed outside of eBay are extremely risky and highly susceptible to fraud.

Social source share

i think it's best to use a sniper for higher end 45s as nobody knows what your best bid is till it's too late,

joe.

that is totally true, although in this case he got lucky that he bid early as it revealed fraud by a stupid scammer who can't even shill bid well.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert