Tempests 'someday' Unreleased 45

Blake H

My iphone's only got limited views of ebay descritptions, ships to US only? Should be a fair bit of interest in this assuming not dodgey and condition ok - at last a respectable way to own it on 45s for all those tapped folks who pass on LP only tracks!

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

My iphone's only got limited views of ebay descritptions, ships to US only? Should be a fair bit of interest in this assuming not dodgey and condition ok - at last a respectable way to own it on 45s for all those tapped folks who pass on LP only tracks!

They do ship Worldwide according to the listing, and as you say Mark, should be quite a bit of Interest!

Social source share

Interesting, I've just listened to my mono and stereo versions of Someday from the LP. It's a shame about the distortion on the acetate recording, but it does sound like an alternate take/mix. The backing track seems the same but the vocal sounds different.

Social source share

Any difference is, in my view, in the way that the seller has recorded it, which obviously isn't great!

It sounds as if the seller ramped up the recording level and this is giving the distortion you hear. It may indicate that the volume of the recording on the disc is rather low. The seller may also have adjusted the EQ to reduce the noise from the grooves. Typically such noise is in the treble/high range. The recording posted up is very bassy and rather flat, a possible sign that high ranges have been reduced. It's a common trick sellers at record fairs/markets have been known to use when looking to shift crackly 45s to punters who have asked to hear them!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bugger, and I had just put a snipe on it last night too!!

Interesting that there were about 200 views yesterday teatime of this thread with the link to ebay item, and the ebay item at the same point had roughly the same number of views on the counter

So then, which one of you guys got it, I'm coming after ye....starting with Sean Hampsey (I don't trust that emoticon in post #8) or Blake H's innocent question type post when he's maybe already snaffled it.

Does this mean the rest of the LP tracks eg I dont want to lose you etc are kicking around in acetate format I wonder...

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

To me it sounds like a different mix, vocals more prominent than on the LP. Which is a shame as the brilliant backing gets a bit 'lost' if you know what I mean. The LP take is definitely the one to play at a do.

i was thinking the same as you about vocals.

but when i played it out off the lp,i always wished vocals was a bit louder over the backing.

pity its gone,would of punted on it.

Social source share

Why would this have been cut to a 45........... presumeably because at some point it was being considered for a release ?. Is there any evidence any where that supports this ?. Was there anything in the dead wax that can support this is what it is being described as.........why would this have ended up in a collection (?) NJ........ :g:.

Genuine questions/musings.........anyone ?

Best Russ

Social source share

Interesting that there were about 200 views yesterday teatime of this thread with the link to ebay item, and the ebay item at the same point had roughly the same number of views on the counter

So then, which one of you guys got it, I'm coming after ye....starting with Sean Hampsey (I don't trust that emoticon in post #8) or Blake H's innocent question type post when he's maybe already snaffled it.

Does this mean the rest of the LP tracks eg I dont want to lose you etc are kicking around in acetate format I wonder...

Not me Mark, but I'll lay money it ends up on a well known auction site oneday. :wicked: :wicked:

BH

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Be interesting to see if it reappears with a high starting/buy it now price.

He also had it down as "unknown artist" - which it obviously isn't.....

Edited by MrC
Social source share

The seller is clearly an experienced ebayer, it seems strange that it would have been removed from sale due to a cash offer, in my experience, if you start getting offers of a cash sale, that is a clear sign that you have a valuable item.

As mentioned above, the 'unknown artist' statement is peculiar too, given that he knew the 45 was 'Northern Soul'.

Finally, is it just coincidence that this acetate has the same B side as the Stardust bootleg? I'm no mathematician, but I would guess that the odds of that happening are longer than you may first imagine.

I'm not suggesting for one second that the acetate isn't genuine, I'm no expert in such matters.

Just a few thoughts guys... feel free to shoot me down. :(

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Forgot to add phil 'acetate' shields my list of suspects but I see thats ruled out!

Highly ungentlemanly of the seller to pull the record after bidding started tho (how many of us are guilty of sneaky off site offers though when it comes to the crunch......ahem!)

Thought the same re the stardust connection

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

The seller is clearly an experienced ebayer, it seems strange that it would have been removed from sale due to a cash offer, in my experience, if you start getting offers of a cash sale, that is a clear sign that you have a valuable item.

its not so strange if he was offered a lot of money.

Social source share

its not so strange if he was offered a lot of money.

It depends what 'a lot of money' is, but his history shows that he's sold records via auction for three figure sums in the past, so he's no mug.

Methinks the seller is wiser than he wants us to believe...

Social source share

Sorry Mark, it wasn't me either.

I wasn't quick enough off the Mark... this time!

So, where did it end up?

Anyone any the wiser?

Sean

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Wouldn't be hard to dolly up a stardust. That font looks well dodge. :pirate:

Its a metal one Ian, I think the Stardust ones were mostly vinyl :P

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!