Wanted: Info Or Any Pictures Of The Twans

Guest sharmo 1

I've got a fantastic studio disc by the Swans called I shook the world I got it off Guy after He first gave it a whirl at Leicester Odd Fellows just had to have it, it cetainly sounds like The T(S)wans it's on a Philly studio disc regards Simon (sorry no picture of the S(T)wans though)

Social source share

Mmmm. A spelling mistake that also translated to a PR photo? :g:

Maybe they were called the Swans and then booted Nat Kendricks and switched the 'S' for a 'T'? :thumbsup:

Ian D :D

the poster didn't give the source of the image. someone could have put that text there after the fact, it's not necessarily on the original photo. not even sure if it's a PR photo or an amateur one.

Social source share

I've got a fantastic studio disc by the Swans called I shook the world I got it off Guy after He first gave it a whirl at Leicester Odd Fellows just had to have it, it cetainly sounds like The T(S)wans it's on a Philly studio disc regards Simon (sorry no picture of the S(T)wans though)

It's probably not the Twans. There was a philly swans that cut a few records.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

C'mon Simon, get a sound file up mate....dont leave us dangling dude.

Best Russ

Russ I'd love to but I don't know how to although if anyone's intrested we're at Brookfields this weekend I'll bring it along for a spin regards Simon.

Social source share

a little bit of info here... https://soulstrutter....-him-again.html

I hate web pages that brag about a super high price of a record, it just creates greedy sellers who google some record they found and makes them think that their trashed copy that nobody is going to get into a bidding war over is worth a bazillion dollars.

This actually specifically relates to the Twans because some dude had posted it not even in soul and then he started getting a lot of questions about it (including ones from some people who had no intent to buy and just spouted off random figures about known copies and value and rarity). So the guy got super excited and put a fake signpost featured auction to point to the Twans auction (since he couldn't change the category), it had lots of babbling about how rare the record was based on the messages he got. Then after he got money for the Twans he got all gassed up thinking every record he had was worth a bazillion dollars. He specifically found that page on soulfulkindamusic about the rarest records.

Then it was pretty funny, he saw that appointments on delite, and must have thought "I have a record on delite!" and listed Yvonne Daniels on Delite with some long stupid text about how the appointments was so rare and also on Delite and then this must also be worth a lot. I don't even think he got his money back for doing a featured auction.

One of the worst parts about northern soul records is that it induces so much greed in people.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That picture of the Twans was taken from a club ad in the Miami Times that dates from 1966.

You can access loads of old editions of the Miami Times via the University of Florida web site.

WARNING .... its as addictive (& time consuming) trawling that site as the Billboard site is on Google books.

post-22122-0-67868000-1327572945_thumb.j

Social source share

BTW, the tale about the Twans being the Swans (of Nat Kendrick and the Swans fame) isn't correct in anyway.

Nat Kendrick and the Swans were really James Brown & his band with lead vocal duties (shouts, etc) substituted by local Miami radio DJ King Coleman to prevent JB being sued by King Records.

No actual band by the name of Nat Kendrick and the Swans existed though King Coleman did gigs fronting some musicians under that name (& further 45's were issued down in Florida under the same band name).

Social source share

Based on your photos, it seems that their real group name was the "Twans" and that northern collectors made up some story about their name being misspelled and the record being withdrawn in order to hype up the rarity or value of the record. Thanks for posting.

Social source share

Based on your photos, it seems that their real group name was the "Twans" and that northern collectors made up some story about their name being misspelled and the record being withdrawn in order to hype up the rarity or value of the record. Thanks for posting.

Is the Twans not rare then Bob.? Good to see some real evidence to put the Swans/Twans story to bed.While we're on the subject,if a Twan is not a misspell - what's a Twan.?

Social source share

Heard a great story from Pete Smith about the Twans. Slade were doing a gig either on a cruise ship or around the Carribean. The support act were the Twans according to Noddy Holder. I think thats how Pete said it. Over to you Pete.

Can't really remember much now but it was in Noddy Holder's autobiography, back in 67 when they were still the N'Betweens, their manager booked them for some overseas dates including one in the Bahamas apparently, which they enjoyed mainly because they found they were sharing accomodation and the stage with a group called The Twans. At the time they (Slade) played beat/motown type stuff.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!