BobA's UK Scene Questions

boba

I agree it's confusing but I think it means there are 600 records, 100 of which have 'good' (different) tracks on both sides (being reissues) making 700 different 'good' tracks in the box.

Alan

ok, that makes sense I guess.

This auction is interesting to me (since I don't know much about the northern scene). This site makes it seem that people only play original vinyl, etc. But this makes it looks like he was able to accumulate a large amount of reissues and bootlegs to go around to different clubs and play northern "oldies". Are there tons of tiny events that need DJs like him? it almost seems like he's selling a business, not a collection.

Social source share

This auction is interesting to me (since I don't know much about the northern scene). This site makes it seem that people only play original vinyl, etc. But this makes it looks like he was able to accumulate a large amount of reissues and bootlegs to go around to different clubs and play northern "oldies". Are there tons of tiny events that need DJs like him? it almost seems like he's selling a business, not a collection.

this was an honest question btw. Is this site representative of most DJs and northern nights or is it mostly the higher end DJs and specialty nights while most nights are "oldies" played by DJs like this?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

this was an honest question btw. Is this site representative of most DJs and northern nights or is it mostly the higher end DJs and specialty nights while most nights are "oldies" played by DJs like this?

Hiya Bob,Ive just read the ad again and think a lot of people on here are reading far too much into the bit were he says (you can turn up anywere with this collection and DJ with it.There are that many soul nights going on at the moment,some play ovo and some play reissues or a mixture of both.Some have been known to play cds.This fella may have DJd all overbut whoes to say that he didnt play his spot from ovo,as said in an earlier post.He still has 150 tunes that hes keeping,so that with the originals that hes selling he would have been well capable of doing an hours spot.This site Ibelieve represents the ovo policy But I doubt every oldies night in the country adheres to that.I think his description in the ad doesnt say anything wrong imho.He hasnt tried to pass them off as something they are not.He maybe should have listed a few of the more desirable titles but lets be right,just under 3 days to go and 25 bidders so somebody fancies taking them off his hands.Good Luck to him.As I said before,I live in the same town but havent a clue who it is but hope interested parties dont get put off by this thread.All the best.

Social source share

Hiya Bob,Ive just read the ad again and think a lot of people on here are reading far too much into the bit were he says (you can turn up anywere with this collection and DJ with it.There are that many soul nights going on at the moment,some play ovo and some play reissues or a mixture of both.Some have been known to play cds.This fella may have DJd all overbut whoes to say that he didnt play his spot from ovo,as said in an earlier post.He still has 150 tunes that hes keeping,so that with the originals that hes selling he would have been well capable of doing an hours spot.This site Ibelieve represents the ovo policy But I doubt every oldies night in the country adheres to that.I think his description in the ad doesnt say anything wrong imho.He hasnt tried to pass them off as something they are not.He maybe should have listed a few of the more desirable titles but lets be right,just under 3 days to go and 25 bidders so somebody fancies taking them off his hands.Good Luck to him.As I said before,I live in the same town but havent a clue who it is but hope interested parties dont get put off by this thread.All the best.

Thanks for the response and explanation, I appreciate it. I'm just trying to get a feel for what the scene really is like. For example, people here are always complaining about the number of events. Are there mostly small events with DJs playing bootlegs, etc. with a few larger events with the most elite DJs playing originals? It seems like there's a relatively small number of these large events, which would mean that in general, people still don't care and it's still acceptable to play bootlegs (despite the sentiments of this site)? Is this true?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Are there mostly small events with DJs playing bootlegs, etc. with a few larger events with the most elite DJs playing originals? It seems like there's a relatively small number of these large events, which would mean that in general, people still don't care and it's still acceptable to play bootlegs (despite the sentiments of this site)? Is this true?

That's pretty much spot on Bob, although there are some small soul nights that are originals only and not all oldies, like myself and Adam at Move On.

Social source share

That's pretty much spot on Bob, although there are some small soul nights that are originals only and not all oldies, like myself and Adam at Move On.

Matt - full credit to you and Adam then :thumbsup:

Real shame if much of the rest of the local scene is basically boots, legit reissues etc.

Real shame as the thing that gets me excited about rare soul/Northern is the inherent authenticity - i.e. OVO - but if playing boots/reissues id the norm outside the big venues/big name DJs - it's basically just a sham - not 'rare' soul at all :boxing:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

i think this lot might well have many northern tunes in it but i feel it's aimed at a dj who gigs where the people neither know nor care what is on the deck just what is emitted from the speakers !

Isn't that most events, based on what people told me above? that's why I was referring to this as almost like selling a business versus selling a collection.

Social source share

personaly i dont know anyone who buys or djs with boots ! Im finding a lot more people are starting to buy records. But i was informed that boots were being played at last years prestatyn weekender in the main room.

You must be fu*kin joking Toad - please tell me you are - if not spill the beans :ohmy:

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Isn't that most events, based on what people told me above? that's why I was referring to this as almost like selling a business versus selling a collection.

Yes mate i was still writing it i think while you posted it

O/T but was it you who asked me to post a photo of the toys on DynoVox if so it's up

not the best picture but you can see it

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Thanks for the response and explanation, I appreciate it. I'm just trying to get a feel for what the scene really is like. For example, people here are always complaining about the number of events. Are there mostly small events with DJs playing bootlegs, etc. with a few larger events with the most elite DJs playing originals? It seems like there's a relatively small number of these large events, which would mean that in general, people still don't care and it's still acceptable to play bootlegs (despite the sentiments of this site)? Is this true?

its now got to the stage where there are probably over 100 events each and every weekend in this country and i definately know of a good few that play boots/ re-issues etc in The South of England but there are also just as many that play OVO, it wouldnt suprise me if half the events on each and every weekend have a music policy where they dont care if the record is OVO or not cos to many its whats in the groove that counts and not if it is an original piece of real history Vinyl or Styrene. so yes if someone bought this collection they could quite easliy dj at many events around the country, defo not a business kind of thing as the pay for a dj in the Soul scene is very poor to be honest so not many only maybe a few can say btey earn a living out of djn.

Social source share

its now got to the stage where there are probably over 100 events each and every weekend in this country and i definately know of a good few that play boots/ re-issues etc in The South of England but there are also just as many that play OVO, it wouldnt suprise me if half the events on each and every weekend have a music policy where they dont care if the record is OVO or not cos to many its whats in the groove that counts and not if it is an original piece of real history Vinyl or Styrene. so yes if someone bought this collection they could quite easliy dj at many events around the country, defo not a business kind of thing as the pay for a dj in the Soul scene is very poor to be honest so not many only maybe a few can say btey earn a living out of djn.

Thanks, this further explains things for me. That is a crazy number of events though, I know people here are always complaining about the number of events. What is the motivation for all these people to put on the events? Are they making money? Celebrating the music and reliving their youth? Having something local that people don't have to drive far to go to?

Social source share

personaly i dont know anyone who buys or djs with boots ! Im finding a lot more people are starting to buy records. But i was informed that boots were being played at last years prestatyn weekender in the main room.

Boots have been played at many venues over the years by people you would least exspect it from seen it first hand over the years when I was DJ'ing often by so called billy big bollocks types.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Thanks, this further explains things for me. That is a crazy number of events though, I know people here are always complaining about the number of events. What is the motivation for all these people to put on the events? Are they making money? Celebrating the music and reliving their youth? Having something local that people don't have to drive far to go to?

I think you answered it yourself i feel it's down to traveling and the fact that it seems now alcohol is a major part of the scene

in the early days there were strict licencing laws which meant due to the unsocial hours of the allnighters there was no alcohol nowadays every one you go to the bar is open

I myself am a beer monster i love the stuff more than oxygen but have never mixed alcohol with soul music

i want to hear the music as clear as i can without it being impared by booze

Edited by allnightandy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Boots have been played at many venues over the years by people you would least exspect it from seen it first hand over the years when I was DJ'ing often by so called billy big bollocks types.

Even back in the wigan days certain lower order djs were rumoured to play pressings , boots , borrow records acetates etc

can't produce any evidence but some people were convinced !

Social source share

Difficult one to answer Bob,I wouldnt have thought any DJ on the allnighter scene would play boots or reissues,and many soul nights spoken about and advertised on here have a ovo policy.others might not be so.Heres a couple of examples,dj plays his set,another dj follows his set playing cds that he has downloaded.He asked the first dj what was that record you played? He tells him who its by etc,the next night they play together the cd guy plays the very tune. Another guy at a different night cued some record yet played a cd track! To some punters it makes no differance wether its a boot or not,its collecters/djs who will no the the score.The reason there are so many soul nights imo is a lot of people left the nighter scene with all its travelling and expence can get a dance and see their friends in there local club.Once over Soul nights were midweek unless it was an allnighter warmup.You couldnt find a working mens club etc on a saturday night,times have changed clubs are finding it hard to survive. Soul nights on a Saturday night that do well are there because there is a demand.If there wasnt they would close down.

Social source share

Iwould think that those bidding on these would be buying them to sell on maybe,I cant see 25 bidders buying them just to Dj with.

Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

Difficult one to answer Bob,I wouldnt have thought any DJ on the allnighter scene would play boots or reissues,and many soul nights spoken about and advertised on here have a ovo policy.others might not be so.Heres a couple of examples,dj plays his set,another dj follows his set playing cds that he has downloaded.He asked the first dj what was that record you played? He tells him who its by etc,the next night they play together the cd guy plays the very tune. Another guy at a different night cued some record yet played a cd track! To some punters it makes no differance wether its a boot or not,its collecters/djs who will no the the score.The reason there are so many soul nights imo is a lot of people left the nighter scene with all its travelling and expence can get a dance and see their friends in there local club.Once over Soul nights were midweek unless it was an allnighter warmup.You couldnt find a working mens club etc on a saturday night,times have changed clubs are finding it hard to survive. Soul nights on a Saturday night that do well are there because there is a demand.If there wasnt they would close down.

Agree 100%with that. Ann and me love to travel to listen and dance to quality soul There are too many local soul nights that clash halfing a crowd.The trouble is that the genuine promoter whos been running his venue for years with quality sounds he has collected cant compete with the cd downloader whos collection only costs time with no effort not like the hours and hours spent trawling through boxes and boxes to find the tunes he or she wants.Some people dont care but do they care about the scene....Chris Edited by chrislokeh
Social source share

Ok I have a follow up question which I've been thinking about which is more controversial. If the people who attend these events want to just travel locally to drink and relive their past by only hearing "oldies", whether off of boots, CD, or whatever, why do you care and want to stop them? They're the type of person that isn't going to travel anyways (they probably go because of convenience) and they also aren't interested in the "rare soul" scene. So they aren't really taking anything away from the more progressive scene, are they? Like when there's 100 events every weekend, it's not truly 100 events to choose from, as a large percentage of the events are just crusty oldies nights at small bars -- there is a much smaller number of "real" events, right?

is this totally wrong? I'm not trying to get into any discussion about whether progressive venues should only play vinyl or not, just talking about these small local oldies nights.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ok I have a follow up question which I've been thinking about which is more controversial. If the people who attend these events want to just travel locally to drink and relive their past by only hearing "oldies", whether off of boots, CD, or whatever, why do you care and want to stop them? They're the type of person that isn't going to travel anyways (they probably go because of convenience) and they also aren't interested in the "rare soul" scene. So they aren't really taking anything away from the more progressive scene, are they?

What's your own theory Bob?

Social source share

Nope, that's totally correct Bob.

Some folks (by far the majority), are happy to stay local, listen to their Mates records, (lots of them bootlegs, reissues, repeated week in week out), whilst others search out a different scene which usually involves traveling, staying up all night and listening to a more changeable playlist of original records from the DJs.

Regards,

Dave

ok, if this is true, why all the rhetoric about OVO? It's specifically for the "special" or bigger nights, right? not for these small local nostalgia / drinking things?

Social source share

What's your own theory Bob?

I think I was trying to say what Dave said above -- that certain people want to go to their local event and drink and hear the same oldies and other types of people want to travel to go to more progressive events, and it's like two separate scenes.

Social source share

Have you counted how many odd weekenders there are? I counted over thirty not so long ago for this year.

How do we get from talking about a record collection on ebay to another oldies newies topic?

I know there's a lot of weekenders Chalks, the point I was making was that the casual soulie is also catered for, with them as well :thumbsup:

Social source share

ok, if this is true, why all the rhetoric about OVO? It's specifically for the "special" or bigger nights, right? not for these small local nostalgia / drinking things?

Hey I know this has gone off topic but shows how interesting a box of crap records is.

Bob the answer to that one is that 90% of members on here are with ovo,nighter scene and discerning soulie brigade. (imho that is)...John.

Social source share

What is the motivation for all these people to put on the events? Are they making money?

Everyone wants to be a DJ Bob, most don't make money although some of the mega weekenders do.

Celebrating the music and reliving their youth? Having something local that people don't have to drive far to go to?

For some people yes, exactly the same as the Teddy Boys and Rock and Roll etc. And yes a lot of people too old to travel long distances :lol: : :wink:

Social source share

Going out and listening to the same tunes week in week out is like going to the pictures every weekend and watching the same film week in week out. Why would you? There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing just that of course, people get what they want out of this scene of ours and there is no right or wrong here.

I think it comes down to the fact that those who care about the original vinyl side of things find it hard to understand how others don't. Likewise, those who don't care couldn't care less about those who do and due to that fact are nowhere near as vocal. Why waste time on something you don't care about?

Passion for soul music is an all consuming and sometimes unforgiving thing.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Have you counted how many odd weekenders there are? I counted over thirty not so long ago for this year.

How do we get from talking about a record collection on ebay to another oldies newies topic?

Im with you on this one Chalky ...why oh why does a box of records on ebay end up as another full blown discussion about the whole of the soul scene ..AGAIN!

The question is the same..the conclusion is the same...... at least two different scenes that will never ,ever be one ..end of!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Im with you on this one Chalky ...why oh why does a box of records on ebay end up as another full blown discussion about the whole of the soul scene ..AGAIN!

The question is the same..the conclusion is the same...... at least two different scenes that will never ,ever be one ..end of!

Social source share

To be fair, this time is a little different as Bob is asking questions and seems to want to try to get an understanding behind it all. Yes he could do a search I suppose but he wouldn't get the same answers as he does to his own questions.

Bob has been asking questions about the soul scene in the UK for as long as i can remember ..im beginning to think he's Ian Levine in disguise :wicked:

About time he got a passport and came over to Gods country and checked out the scene for himself ...and a few dj /radio spots while he's here to make it worth his while :yes:

Shall we have a vote on who thinks he should come ..or even a campaign to get him here :)

Edited by NEV
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I cannot see what harm it does anybody if the subject goes a little off topic now and again

It's a forum it's open to people to discuss things

i have tried to start a few threads that in my mind were new topics only to be told "We covered that before ,Yes you did in 2005 i wasn't on here then and i suggest a lot of others might not have been so to me they are new topics and without reading the whole archive i wouldn't know !

if you dont like discussing things that have gone before then don't and the topic will stay on topic or fade away but for me if i see something that lights a spark i comment on it , I dont check first to see if it's in the right box or not

Andy

Edited by allnightandy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

We could have a Paypal whip round and pay for Bob's flight to the UK. Get him on at Lifeline or one of the other 'bonafide' Rare Soul all-nighters, followed by a similar European event, in Germany, Scandinavia or Spain. This way he would be able to appreciate just how 'the scene' has proliferated beyond its original UK confines. He could then travel back to Chicago safe in the knowledge that he truly understands what actually drives us, makes us tick. I think it's a splendid idea...

Social source share

I think Bob was wondering why on here he reads about the threads championing OVO but can I just say that I dont think a large number of people who go to the local soul nights are members on here, I know of people who go to local doos that have never been to an allnighter ever,they heard a bit at youth club discos and now support their local night.I personally think this is fantastic.Does it threaten the rare soul scene?I dont think so but thats just my oppinion.

Social source share

I cannot see what harm it does anybody if the subject goes a little off topic now and again

Andy

It doesn't do any harm but there must be 100's of oldies/newies topics. I'm at a loss to see how a listing on ebay turned into another topic discussing the merits of oldies and newies and what people get unto in their social life? This topic hasn't gone a "little off topic", its way off.

No one has stopped you or anyone else starting a topic, I certainly haven't.

Social source share

Its a forum isnt it? Bob was asking questions to try and understand a little more about the scene/scenes in the uk

Social source share

I'm at a loss to see how a listing on ebay turned into another topic discussing the merits of oldies and newies and what people get unto in their social life? This topic hasn't gone a "little off topic", its way off.

Might be the DJing all over the country with the records that led into it. Can't see what harm it's doing though.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Its a forum isnt it? Bob was asking questions to try and understand a little more about the scene/scenes in the uk

thats all it is
Social source share

i have tried to start a few threads that in my mind were new topics only to be told "We covered that before ,Yes you did in 2005 i wasn't on here then and i suggest a lot of others might not have been so to me they are new topics and without reading the whole archive i wouldn't know !

if you dont like discussing things that have gone before then don't and the topic will stay on topic or fade away but for me if i see something that lights a spark i comment on it , I dont check first to see if it's in the right box or not

Andy

totaly agree,well put.
Social source share

Andy

I think that's what we tend to forget on here and its a very relevant point

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!