Nice Shots Of A Philly Tape Archive

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I just caught this on Nile Rodgers blog. He visited Drexel University in Philadelphia and took some great snaps of the University's tape archive......

https://www.nilerodge...cing-my-ass-off

Ian D :D

That odia coates record (next to the bowie reel I think he was trying to take a pic of) is awesome. She has a lit of nice modern records, wonder why they're not in demand. Sorry to post off topic, will start a new one if you want.

Social source share

That odia coates record (next to the bowie reel I think he was trying to take a pic of) is awesome. She has a lit of nice modern records, wonder why they're not in demand. Sorry to post off topic, will start a new one if you want.

She's really not that well-known over here. I think the only thing we heard at the time was that duet she did with Paul Anka ("You're Having My Baby" I think), so she was probably perceived as a Pop act rather than a Soul act. I don't think I've heard any of her solo recordings to be honest.......

Social source share

She's really not that well-known over here. I think the only thing we heard at the time was that duet she did with Paul Anka ("You're Having My Baby" I think), so she was probably perceived as a Pop act rather than a Soul act. I don't think I've heard any of her solo recordings to be honest.......

She has a fantastic (soul) voice. Even her paul anka produced recordings are good.

I can't find the recording mentioned above on youtube, but it's really nice slightly funky modern, it's only available on epic stock copies.

Social source share

She has a fantastic (soul) voice. Even her paul anka produced recordings are good.

I can't find the recording mentioned above on youtube, but it's really nice slightly funky modern, it's only available on epic stock copies.

here is one of the good soul singles (not as good as the epic one I'm talking about above though):

Social source share

So thats what a Philly anologue archive library looks like. :) Can just imagine Nile boogie-ing amongst the archives to Bowies's young americans, and RR's car wash/ wishing on a star.../ i wanna get next to you... :D

Paul Anka & Odia's 'Your'e having my baby' sold well in the UK (top 10, 1974).

Odia's disco fused "Make it up to me in Love" (also duet with Paul Anka, 1977) may have got UK spins! (track is listed in the Tim Brown /Martin Koppel Northern Soul guide ed.2) Def. funky/modern. Soulful vocals.

Social source share

Odia's disco fused "Make it up to me in Love" (also duet with Paul Anka, 1977) may have got UK spins! (track is listed in the Tim Brown /Martin Koppel Northern Soul guide ed.2) Def. funky/modern. Soulful vocals.

yeah, I actually don't know anything about her and discovered her by seeing an epic stock copy for cheap and buying it and it turning out to be really good. I googled and saw the paul anka stuff and got confused.

Social source share

here is one of the good soul singles (not as good as the epic one I'm talking about above though):

Not too bad! This is a cover of an early 70's pop song by a UK band called ELO (The Electric Light Orchestra) headed by Geoff Lynn (great musician) from Brum! (Birmingham, UK).

Social source share

Not too bad! This is a cover of an early 70's pop song by a UK band called ELO (The Electric Light Orchestra) headed by Geoff Lynn (great musician) from Brum! (Birmingham, UK).

I know nothing about classic rock, thanks for pointing out the ELO connection. I always think it's dumb when people don't know a song is a cover, that was me this time.

The track "that's the way that the cookie crumbles" is totally excellent though.

Social source share

Nah, it's not dumb. Just different knowledge that's all. (i.e. I've never heard the 'cookie crumbles' track from Odia. Would you describe it as an up-tempo fast track? (i.e. danced to at a fast pace? :thumbup: ) or is it a slow moving ballad? As Ian stated, she wasn't well known over here.)

Whispers are also there on the shelf.

Wonder if anyone has other 'tape archive' photographs to share for interest and perusal!! :)

Social source share

Guest phillybuster

Nah, it's not dumb. Just different knowledge that's all. (i.e. I've never heard the 'cookie crumbles' track from Odia. Would you describe it as an up-tempo fast track? (i.e. danced to at a fast pace? :thumbup: ) or is it a slow moving ballad? As Ian stated, she wasn't well known over here.)

Whispers are also there on the shelf.

Wonder if anyone has other 'tape archive' photographs to share for interest and perusal!! :)

Social source share

ELO 'Showdown' is one of my favourite all time 'Soulful - Non Soul' records.

In fact it was a pretty big tune at my fave Club in Rotherham, back in 73, played alongside the likes of Johnnie Taylor 'Who's Making Love' Jimmy James 'A Man Like Me' Blue Magic "Look Me Up" and Dean Parrish "I'm On My Way" etc.

An eclectic and superb mix... and ELO fitted right into the groove!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

In fact it was a pretty big tune at my fave Club in Rotherham, back in 73, played alongside the likes of Johnnie Taylor 'Who's Making Love' Jimmy James 'A Man Like Me' Blue Magic "Look Me Up" and Dean Parrish "I'm On My Way" etc.

Sean

Would that be the Charade ?

Social source share

Sean

I can imagine! Picture the scene... '73. The pumping sound system (all analogue) the dance floor, flares (lights & trousers). A young Mr Hampsey takes the last swigs of his Ansells (bitter) and confidently heads for the floor... eye-ing the laydeez.... (Cue electric strings of ELO's 'Showdown'... ) :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can imagine! Picture the scene... '73. The pumping sound system (all analogue) the dance floor, flares (lights & trousers). A young Mr Hampsey takes the last swigs of his Ansells (bitter) and confidently heads for the floor... eye-ing the laydeez.... (Cue electric strings of ELO's 'Showdown'... ) :D

In one!

Brought me right back that did!

Brilliant.

:D

Sean

Social source share

Certainly was mate.

Best playlist on the planet back then!

Doobie Brothers 'Long Train Runnin' was a Monster!

And Dave Grounds was a God.

:0)

Did you go?

Sean

Yes pal not too often mind , my cousin went out with one of there managers Mick Bradford i think was his name.

Edited by shinehead
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!