Soul Contributions To Rock

Wiggyflat

It was Clare Torry who they asked to replicate an orgasm...but i'm sure Doris Troy did backing vocals elsewhere on the lp.JJ Jackson was the UK equivalent of BST and another group called The Web who released an lp on Deram called Fully Interlocking.Zapatta Schmidt on Uk President also mined the BST sound and this was an alter ego for Eddie Grant....i had the album with a mincer on the front but it's not great.One of the best tracks that marries rock and soul is Romantic Attitude by John Fitch on UK Beacon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJEdHux8StE

Not saying Doris wasn't on the record because she was, just not famous for doing the vocals on that track.

I got an acetate of "Do I" - the Halos Northern stomper - by a girl vocalist, the other side I found out was written by Clare Torry and I did a fair bit of research into her which is how I found out who it was by, several Pink Floyd sites mention here and that track. I sold the acetate via JM last year.

Social source share

the motorhead - eddie holland connection is bizarre, never knew that

It's even more bizarre ........Ian Kilminster (Lemmy)used to follow the British Birds who featured Ronnie Wood. The Birds did a version of Leaving Here for UK Decca which is where he probably where got it from.He then went on to acid head sitar band Sam Gopal.Oh and the drummer out of Motorhead Filthy Taylor was a teenage skinhead.

post-18577-0-14319900-1327354598_thumb.j

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

It's even more bizarre ........Ian Kilminster (Lemmy)used to follow the British Birds who featured Ronnie Wood. The Birds did a version of Leaving Here for UK Decca which is where he probably where got it from.He then went on to acid head sitar band Sam Gopal.Oh and the drummer out of Motorhead Filthy Taylor was a teenage skinhead.

I'm confused, is that photo lemmy or the motorhead drummer? It doesn't look like lemmy but i'm not sure i know what he looks like before he was burned out on speed.

there was some sam gopal footage on youtube that i found a while ago, did you see it? i had the reissue of the LP when I still cared about rock but never listened to it and gave it away.

Social source share

I'm confused, is that photo lemmy or the motorhead drummer? It doesn't look like lemmy but i'm not sure i know what he looks like before he was burned out on speed.

there was some sam gopal footage on youtube that i found a while ago, did you see it? i had the reissue of the LP when I still cared about rock but never listened to it and gave it away.

Thats the drummer Filthy Animal Taylor.Still got the Sam Gopal LP on Stable....a few more bands Stoneground(best known for appearing in Dracula AD1972 playing Alligator Man) and Black Velvet who were also on UK Beacon.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!