Soul Contributions To Rock

Wiggyflat

Have been listening to The Doors Soft Parade (Runnin Blue,Morrison's tribute to Otis) recently and suddenly realised why I like it....the saxaphone player. I had never bothered checking out who it was playing and a quick google and found it was Curtis Amy.Got me thinking why I like Gimme Shelter by the Stones and of course it is Merry Clayton on backing vocals and released a version of it herself on Ode.Remember in passing someone mentioned a few soul influenced singers on Dark Side Of The Moon.....what part did other soul artists have in shaping rock and name the albums.

Bohannon on the slide Trombone

https://www.georgebohanon.com/bio.htm

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

On a bunch of Phil Collins 80s recordings (I think including su-su-sudio) there are a bunch of the Pharoahs playing backup. And Tom Washington arranged it, I think he made a lot of money off of that. In the video they show a bunch of Black dudes behind Phil but I don't know if those are the same people or just people they got for the video.

Social source share

stick as many wikipedia links as you want up, george best was known as the 5th beatle during the 60's

I know that. But there were a few other people given that title, which is what one of the articles above is about (the link says john lennon actually gave preston that title). Either way, I don't know much about the beatles, and I don't really care -- just pointing out that Billy Preston contributed to rock enough to get credited / associated with the beatles (whether or not he was the 5th one). Thanks.

Social source share

Guest dave nowell

Strange you should mention Dark Side of the Moon (one of my favourite albums!)

Only found out recently that Doris Troy was on backing vocals

doh.......................... :huh:

Social source share

Strange you should mention Dark Side of the Moon (one of my favourite albums!)

Only found out recently that Doris Troy was on backing vocals

doh.......................... :huh:

didn't she also work with the beatles? I heard she was the 5th beatle (just kidding). She did have an LP on Apple records and some article I googled says she worked with them but it was vague so I'm not sure.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That is one of my all time favourite records :yes:

Cheers

Richard

Venetta Fields, Clydie King an Shirley Matthews were the Blackbirds who backed Humble Pie. Black Coffee being the most well known song but the funkiest Humble Pie tracks are this and Thunderbox

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Guest alanbonthrone

stick as many wikipedia links as you want up, george best was known as the 5th beatle during the 60's

No Mate You Thinking Of Pete Best . George Best Played With The Hib,s. Pete Best Played With The Beatle,s. !
Social source share

Guest dave nowell

I always thought that George Martin was more commonly referred to as the 5th Beatle.

Bestie was nicknamed El Beatle by the press after destroying - i think- Benfica almost single handedly

Now, where's me anorak?................... :D

Social source share

Not a soul tune but one of the best and most influential ever in rock:

Muddy Waters - You Need Love >>> Small Faces - You Need Loving >>> Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love

Awsome..

this is like a whole different topic though. i hate janis joplin so much, one of the reasons is that none of her fans who like piece of my heart have heard of erma franklin.

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

didnt the rolling stones write" it,s all over now ", which is covered deftly, by the boabster, and , explosively, by the bobbettes.

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

john bonnam,s pick ups , of which every led zeppellin release is unique by the way , were inspired by his love of , late fifties r& b and sixties soul. e toquite a few of LZ SONG titles are an homage to bonhams soul heroes.

Social source share

The donays "devil in his heart" was covered by the beatles (the donays were the 5th beatle).

As was "Anna" by Arthur Alexander, "You Really Got A Hold On Me", "Money", and more. What's weirdest is that they continued to record remakes into 1965, well after they had established their own incredible songwriting talents. Anyone can be the 5th Beatle.....but there's only one 9th Beatle.....

Social source share

Not really, but that's a long and tedious topic onto itself. Horn rock came from jazz much more than soul. Sax was the original co lead instrument for rock-n-roll.

I agree with Kris. In Chicago like 90% of the rock bands were horn rock groups. I think they were trying to emulate the soul sounds of the city. Are you talking about something else than the chicago bands like Chicago, the Mob, etc.?

Social source share

I agree with Kris. In Chicago like 90% of the rock bands were horn rock groups. I think they were trying to emulate the soul sounds of the city. Are you talking about something else than the chicago bands like Chicago, the Mob, etc.?

My experience with horn rock bands was that the horn players were jazz musicians who wanted to play improvised solos and complex arrangements in rock contexts. These bands were not from Chicago, they were from Cleveland, Youngstown, and most of them never released records, although I have some demos. They didn't sound like the Mob or the Buckinghams at all. Sure they were some soul (and more so, funk) influences, but not as much as jazz and Mothers of Invention type sounds. The singers often had the deep 'macho' style vocals that were common in bands of the time, which could be heard as trying to sound like a David Clayton Thomas type soul belter, but was equally from Steppenwolf or Iron Butterfly. Some of the bands I knew, back then and from more recent conversation, were fans of Sun Ra, "Bitches Brew" (a wildly popular set with underground rock heads), ESP label stuff in addition to the usual people of the time. I said it was a tedious topic.....one of the things that drove me to the Stooges, Velvet Underground, etc in the early 70s.

Social source share

My experience with horn rock bands was that the horn players were jazz musicians who wanted to play improvised solos and complex arrangements in rock contexts. These bands were not from Chicago, they were from Cleveland, Youngstown, and most of them never released records, although I have some demos. They didn't sound like the Mob or the Buckinghams at all. Sure they were some soul (and more so, funk) influences, but not as much as jazz and Mothers of Invention type sounds. The singers often had the deep 'macho' style vocals that were common in bands of the time, which could be heard as trying to sound like a David Clayton Thomas type soul belter, but was equally from Steppenwolf or Iron Butterfly. Some of the bands I knew, back then and from more recent conversation, were fans of Sun Ra, "Bitches Brew" (a wildly popular set with underground rock heads), ESP label stuff in addition to the usual people of the time. I said it was a tedious topic.....one of the things that drove me to the Stooges, Velvet Underground, etc in the early 70s.

I think Chicago may have been different than your Ohio experience. The gritty "macho" vocals on a lot of horn rock groups often sound like a White singer is trying to emulate the sound of a soul singer. I always thought Chicago was like the mecca of horn rock just because most of the bands were horn rock bands, e.g., compared to garage, hard rock, etc. I always thought it was because Chicago was such a soul-oriented city. Also a lot of Black singers from soul groups joined horn rock groups in the 70s -- e.g. the World Column. They also seemed to be more pop-oriented than the Ohio groups you're describing, or even into harder rock, but not avant garde at all.

Either way, I don't know much more about the subject beyond what I've said already.

Social source share

wasnt buddy "just a kiss away" miles in jimi hendrixs band, and wasnt john valenti a member of one of those "poodle haired" rock 70,s bands, and finally not sure if his counts but didnt chubby checker record a psychedelic album n he 70,s

Chubby checker, Checkered album with Gypsy on it

Social source share

Not sure if he ever admitted to it but Robert plant vocals owe a lot to Bobby parker, its that ' whow a ho a ho' thing both often have going on. I do know both he and pagey often cites johnny watson as an influence.

well, Led Zep did steal the lead riff of Watch Your Step for Moby Dick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not really, but that's a long and tedious topic onto itself. Horn rock came from jazz much more than soul. Sax was the original co lead instrument for rock-n-roll.

It's probably a combination, for every bunch of jazzers like Chase there is probably an even number of r&b loving bands embracing horn sections & their blue-eyed soul or whatever to the next step ala The Buckinghams.

Social source share

It wasn't Doris troy, it was a white singer called Clare Torry.

It was Clare Torry who they asked to replicate an orgasm...but i'm sure Doris Troy did backing vocals elsewhere on the lp.JJ Jackson was the UK equivalent of BST and another group called The Web who released an lp on Deram called Fully Interlocking.Zapatta Schmidt on Uk President also mined the BST sound and this was an alter ego for Eddie Grant....i had the album with a mincer on the front but it's not great.One of the best tracks that marries rock and soul is Romantic Attitude by John Fitch on UK Beacon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJEdHux8StE

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!