Which Genera Of Music Is Your Passion ?

Guest allnightandy

Guest allnightandy

I have noticed people on here talking about many different generas of soul , as a "Dinosaur", i had my hay day back in the 70's and left the scene to marry have kids etc

Although my music never left me and i started to go to soul night again a few years ago i still prefer the faster stuf i listened to back then although i do hear the odd "Newie" i like

I just wanted to get an idea of who i'm communicating with here and exactly how many different gereras of music we are dealing with

thanks Andy

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Mine seems to change every couple of weeks Andy :lol: , some nights when I play stuff at home it's all fast 60's (traditional style , if you know what I mean) .

Then I go through phases of playing Modern (70's even 80's dancers) . The other night I started playing a few of my Motown label 45's of which I've never

had many but realised how many great dancers there are . Ive just bought some more 70's 45's so I guess that's the flavour of the month!

Confused of Louth

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I like most styles to be honest, not too keen on R&B apart from the odd exception but i listen to 60's through to new release BUT my main passion is definitely 70's soul, 90% of my current 45 collection is 70's, i also love 70's soulful funk - Basically i love 70's, ok?!

Social source share

Definitely old fashioned 60s stormers, some stomping R&B, with the odd bit of Latin thrown in! I do seem to need more than the odd midtempo track thrown in while I'm out though, help me get my breath back, these old legs ain't quite up to a full night of 100mph stompers anymore!

I do have to admit to listening to a fair amount of 70s stuff in the car and at home during the day at the weekends as well.

So ... Something fast(ish) while I'm out, or on my way out, mainly 70s the rest of the time :-)

Oh, and a fair bit of old skool house inbetween!

Social source share

Its all down to what mood i'm in,love the old 60s floaters,stompers when i'm out,especially when the place is buzzing,however like 6osoulboy the old legs are'nt what they used to be[not that i ever was an athlete] and other times i'm quite happy playing/listening to slower chillout stuff.I've even got a few reggae bits n bobs that i put on now and then.

Social source share

In a younger day traditional classic Northern and early mod style soul.

Even though I love that stuff still, as I've got older (and slower in a dancefloor sense!) the sweeter and more melodic crossover style has grabbed me.

Actually what I would class as real "soulful" tunes now as opposed to the "four on the floor" stompers I guess.

Also I can't deny the influence of my girlfriend kinda helped push me into that direction too.

Eh Gill !! Lol. :wink:

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

most genres of soul appeal to me. my favourites are classic detroit groovesville..golden world..solid hit productions. motown. followed by the philly side of northern in particilar harthorn..gamble and huff..early stuff from the trammps ojays etc..not keen on r&b...just a few exceptions. also not too keen on really deep southern soul. also love the 60s and 70s club and commercial soul.also really enjoy the chicago productions with lush strings and orchestra's.....like i said most genres.

Social source share

I'd have to say I love most of it, from late 50's black R N B to soulful house, with most stops inbetween, though I'm not Keen on Popcorn, cliperty cloperty cowboy tunes, and think there's little place for crossover nowadays, though i like a lot of it for home listening. Things have changed so much since I've gotten into the scene in the 8ts and for me tempo's have actually gone up from the days when, 'the panic is on' and 'down and out' were big tunes, still love big voices and productions, but not sure how well they work on the floor now.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

...yeah definitely NOT popcorn, what the feck is that all about??!

I genuinely have no idea can you give me an example so i can listen to some lol ?
Social source share

I have noticed people on here talking about many different generas of soul , as a "Dinosaur", i had my hay day back in the 70's and left the scene to marry have kids etc

Although my music never left me and i started to go to soul night again a few years ago i still prefer the faster stuf i listened to back then although i do hear the odd "Newie" i like

I just wanted to get an idea of who i'm communicating with here and exactly how many different gereras of music we are dealing with

thanks Andy

I just love the 70's Soul and Jazz.............and a little bit of disco

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

For going out to nighters mid/uptempo gotta be plus good smattering of quality R&B and funk edged

For home and car most types if l like it

For soul nights club soul saphires ,o'jays ,elgins and the like...top

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

I grew up listening to my father's 78s of City Blues, a little Delta Blues, Avant Garde Jazz, and Boogie Woogie. The first records I bought were Black group harmony (in 1953 (Flamingos, Five Keys, Drifters, Orioles, Dominoes, Moonglows). I LOVE 1953-1954 Group Harmony cuts, as well as 1959-64 R&B/Soul transition (Detroit & Chicago Soul, early Philadelphia Soul (1962-65) and New York Soul (1960-65). I don't like Funk. I like Chicago Blues (1948-1957) and a lot of Delta Blues. I like Gospel music (19302-1960s). I like Avant Garde Jazz Late 1940s-1950s and Cool Jazz of the 1960s, and also Afro-Latin Jazz 1960s-1970s. I don't like much Soulk from the '70s (only 1970-72). Motown 1962-66 and Chicago Sound 1962-66 are my favourites, along with Group Harmony from 1953-54.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I grew up listening to my father's 78s of City Blues, a little Delta Blues, Avant Garde Jazz, and Boogie Woogie. The first records I bought were Black group harmony (in 1953 (Flamingos, Five Keys, Drifters, Orioles, Dominoes, Moonglows). I LOVE 1953-1954 Group Harmony cuts, as well as 1959-64 R&B/Soul transition (Detroit & Chicago Soul, early Philadelphia Soul (1962-65) and New York Soul (1960-65). I don't like Funk. I like Chicago Blues (1948-1957) and a lot of Delta Blues. I like Gospel music (19302-1960s). I like Avant Garde Jazz Late 1940s-1950s and Cool Jazz of the 1960s, and also Afro-Latin Jazz 1960s-1970s. I don't like much Soulk from the '70s (only 1970-72). Motown 1962-66 and Chicago Sound 1962-66 are my favourites, along with Group Harmony from 1953-54.

it would be funny if you made some sort of diagram to illustrate this all.

Also, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is avant garde jazz from 1940s-50s?

Social source share

Also, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is avant garde jazz from 1940s-50s?

nothing really in the 40s, but in the 50s you'd get guys hanging off George Russell & taking it to extremes, dudes like Mingus, Ra, Cecil, Ornette, Coltrane, not really Avant as we know it but more like revisionism of where they were headed.

Social source share

nothing really in the 40s, but in the 50s you'd get guys hanging off George Russell & taking it to extremes, dudes like Mingus, Ra, Cecil, Ornette, Coltrane, not really Avant as we know it but more like revisionism of where they were headed.

thank you

Social source share

I genuinely have no idea can you give me an example so i can listen to some lol ?

Popcorn is, to my knowledge, a genre made popular in Belgium (originally known as "Belgian Popcorn") and consists of number of sub-genres - blue-eyed soul, 60's pop, R&B and the genre now known as New Breed R&B.. There's huge range of tunes that fall under this umbrella.

Here are a couple of links for you:

https://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=7742

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Popcorn is, to my knowledge, a genre made popular in Belgium (originally known as "Belgian Popcorn") and consists of number of sub-genres - blue-eyed soul, 60's pop, R&B and the genre now known as New Breed R&B.. There's huge range of tunes that fall under this umbrella.

Here are a couple of links for you:

https://www.acerecord...59&release=7742

Thanks for that I'll keep an open mind Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

At home or in the car and maybe the odd soul night then anything does to be honest but when it comes to a nighter then for me, personally speaking, in my honest opinion, what does it for me..........just covering all my bases here, then i am a proper dinosaur.

60's top 500 all night long for me.........i know it's not for some but it's defo the way i like it.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Root's reggae .Heavy dub reggae , lovers rock reggae , Ska , R-N-B, Jazz , Jazz funk / fusion ,60's northern , 70's northern , 80's dance , 90's dance up to nu soul and nu funk and modern ,punk and MOTORHEAD. regards Simon.

Social source share

Root's reggae .Heavy dub reggae , lovers rock reggae , Ska..............with u on these Si as ive been playing the ones i had off u last week only today , ive always has a reggae / lovers rock collection from 25 yrs ago also a big rockabilly collection but when it comes to soul , i tend to sway more 70's / crossover / boogie...everytime.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Root's reggae .Heavy dub reggae , lovers rock reggae , Ska..............with u on these Si as ive been playing the ones i had off u last week only today , ive always has a reggae / lovers rock collection from 25 yrs ago also a big rockabilly collection but when it comes to soul , i tend to sway more 70's / crossover / boogie...everytime.

Good evening Daz I hope you're o.k sir,yes I like it varied tonight I've played the following track's as I mused over the mechanics of the Universe.

1, Echoman by the Chimpbeans ,2,Favour by Jackie Williams ,3 , Try Me by Wee , 4 ,When the boy that you love by Peggy Gains , 5, I bear witness by Vince Apollo ,

6 ,You've been gone too long by Ann Sexton , 7,Come back to me baby by Ollie Ashe , 8,We're going to have a good time by The Swan silvertones ,9, Tell me what's wrong by the mighty diamonds ,10,greetings by Halfpint ,11 ,Je'Taime by Harry J allstars , 12,Psychedelic clowd by Dety Dread , 13 , Let nobody love you by Virginia Blakely 14 ,He know's how to love me by Helen Shapiro ,15, Hi-Life by Granville Williams Orch, and as I type this after a jolly nice puff I've switched from vinyl to c.d and am listening to the whole of Pt.Hariiprasad Chaurasia flute recital vol 2 including Raga-Jalija Wanti and the classic Madhukauns so on the whole a standard evening's audio pleasure regards to that good lady of yours and give a bit sloppy kiss from me mate see you soon Daz Simon.

Social source share

Good evening Daz I hope you're o.k sir,yes I like it varied tonight I've played the following track's as I mused over the mechanics of the Universe.

1, Echoman by the Chimpbeans ,2,Favour by Jackie Williams ,3 , Try Me by Wee , 4 ,When the boy that you love by Peggy Gains , 5, I bear witness by Vince Apollo ,

6 ,You've been gone too long by Ann Sexton , 7,Come back to me baby by Ollie Ashe , 8,We're going to have a good time by The Swan silvertones ,9, Tell me what's wrong by the mighty diamonds ,10,greetings by Halfpint ,11 ,Je'Taime by Harry J allstars , 12,Psychedelic clowd by Dety Dread , 13 , Let nobody love you by Virginia Blakely 14 ,He know's how to love me by Helen Shapiro ,15, Hi-Life by Granville Williams Orch, and as I type this after a jolly nice puff I've switched from vinyl to c.d and am listening to the whole of Pt.Hariiprasad Chaurasia flute recital vol 2 including Raga-Jalija Wanti and the classic Madhukauns so on the whole a standard evening's audio pleasure regards to that good lady of yours and give a bit sloppy kiss from me mate see you soon Daz Simon.

Sounds like a fantastic evening in , i will give Sam a kiss tomorrow for u mate as she's at work on nites , enjoy your puff ,catch u soon.

Daz

Social source share

doo wap, rockabilly, group soul, 50,s/60,s rnb , northern, disco, some 70,s, house, funk, crossover, reggae, ska,motown, club soul, 60.s uptempo pop northern. basically any thing i like thats a good tune .

i love the anderson bros, i dont like sy hightower :ohmy:

sorry i like popcorn but i dont like that 80,s modern stuff (unless i have a copy and its rare !)

Edited by codfromderby
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!