Collecting Paper Sleeves

Vaguely related (if people don't think so it could be moved to a new topic) -- does anyone collect original label mailers? I have a TK 45 mailer and a Magic Touch one. I'm wondering if anyone has like an extensive collection of these? it would be awesome to see.

Social source share

As far as sleeves go this is one of my fav's (with 45 included),

Not seen many but aesthetically so appealing to the collector in me.

post-9122-0-87885900-1326927381_thumb.jp

P.S.

Hope no one minds me asking but......

If anyone has an excellent condition spare Memphis sleeve, I could do with one please....

Will buy or trade my spare sleeves if anyone is interested ???

ATB

Eddie

mighty pretty

Social source share

On a slightly different note, I have to have my labels square to the sleeve so it can be read properly when flicking though them, whether it be the collection on the shelves, the play box or the sales boxes!

I'm sure most reading this post will be the same?

I even find myself straightening them for other people when I'm looking through their sales boxes etc

This can't be just me?

Social source share

On a slightly different note, I have to have my labels square to the sleeve so it can be read properly when flicking though them, whether it be the collection on the shelves, the play box or the sales boxes!

I even find myself straightening them for other people when I'm looking through their sales boxes etc

This can't be just me?

I have have done that in junk shops, and even putting records without sleeves into sleeves lol sad!

P :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This can't be just me?

nah, i do this too, but not to records in junk shops like paup-ine.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

boba ive got a motown mailer sorry no scan

that's cool, what era of motown? if someone did a gallery of mailers that would be pretty cool to see. I wonder if anyone has a big collection of them. They would be very difficult to collect since it's essentially packaging that is thrown out.

Social source share

As far as sleeves go this is one of my fav's (with 45 included),

Not seen many but aesthetically so appealing to the collector in me.

post-9122-0-87885900-1326927381_thumb.jp

P.S.

Hope no one minds me asking but......

If anyone has an excellent condition spare Memphis sleeve, I could do with one please....

Will buy or trade my spare sleeves if anyone is interested ???

ATB

Eddie

WOW~! :rofl:

Social source share

I once found a Dearborn sleeve in a basement, but dropped it greedily scouring for the 45 it would have housed. Never materialized of course!

Social source share

I once found a Dearborn sleeve in a basement, but dropped it greedily scouring for the 45 it would have housed. Never materialized of course!

I have a dearborn sleeve, I bought some crappy pop 45 to get the sleeve. Someone recently told me that the hargraves record never came with a company sleeve though.

Social source share

I have a dearborn sleeve, I bought some crappy pop 45 to get the sleeve. Someone recently told me that the hargraves record never came with a company sleeve though.

This was years ago when as far as I was concerned the Silky track must have been he only 45 on Dearborn, I was to learn otherwise..

Social source share

Found my first all in one piece Rama sleeve a week or so ago

Found 2 of the Dooto sleeves a year or 2 ago , never seen one before or since

Boba, The dog End sleeves are made of such cheap paper that I'm surprised any of them survive

but the boxy one is newer and make of thicker paper I wonder why there aren't more about, and here in NY too , it was a local label.

post-19806-0-93603200-1327091874_thumb.j

post-19806-0-49794600-1327091921_thumb.j

Social source share

This can't be just me?

I do exactly the same. My own collection has all A Sides or Played side like this.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Boba, The dog End sleeves are made of such cheap paper that I'm surprised any of them survive

but the boxy one is newer and make of thicker paper I wonder why there aren't more about, and here in NY too , it was a local label.

That is interesting, it's a good explanation since the dog label is more common than the other label on actual 45s.

I like the labels that have one release and put in a lot of money into sleeves (and then go out of business?). Like the mellow moods on "we make rock and roll music" has a custom sleeves. I think my alston-sonics on Omega has an Omega sleeve. I have an awesome upnilons on lummtone where the sleeve is a regular sleeve but they made a custom ink stamp design.

Social source share

Roger, that Tetragrammaton sleeve, nice one. Haven't seen it before.

I once bought a shitty pop record on Dearborn just for the sleeve, record was 99c, postage to Germany was like $7.00. Saw the sleeve and knew I had to have it. How desperate is that? And that sleeve is filed away for at least 10 years because I don't have any Dearborn records to put in it. Anyone with a cheap Silky Hargreaves for me?

Social source share

Vaguely related (if people don't think so it could be moved to a new topic) -- does anyone collect original label mailers? I have a TK 45 mailer and a Magic Touch one. I'm wondering if anyone has like an extensive collection of these? it would be awesome to see.

Anyone remember the stuff John Manship auctioned after the big West Coast find? Many records were still in their original mailers. Didn't he auction a Ray Pollard still in its Shrine mailer?

Social source share

Roger, that Tetragrammaton sleeve, nice one. Haven't seen it before.

I once bought a shitty pop record on Dearborn just for the sleeve, record was 99c, postage to Germany was like $7.00. Saw the sleeve and knew I had to have it. How desperate is that? And that sleeve is filed away for at least 10 years because I don't have any Dearborn records to put in it. Anyone with a cheap Silky Hargreaves for me?

I bought one of those garbage pop records to get the sleeve too and I don't have anything on the label. But someone (I think he's Soulhawk on here) told me that the silky hargraves wasn't actually released in the custom sleeve.

Social source share

Anyone remember the stuff John Manship auctioned after the big West Coast find? Many records were still in their original mailers. Didn't he auction a Ray Pollard still in its Shrine mailer?

That's gotta be sick, anyone have a pic of the shrine mailer?

Social source share

Even if that's true a nice colourful issue of Silky Hargraves would look fab in a Dearborn sleeve, wouldn't it?

that depends on what kind of collector you are. it's not the "original" sleeve.

once I was looking through this really old school chicago collector's collection (he had gotten all original sleeves for everything) and he kept complaining that I was not putting the record back with the same side facing out when I put them in the sleeves.

Social source share

me and a mate here in berlin always try to put the records in date matching sleeves...can become quite difficult esp. with such labels as loma, jamie, king and federal, kapp to name but just a few. bought a dearborn sleeve for 20 eurs via facebook last year lol just to give my multi-coloured silky hargreaves a cool looking home..and benji is right...it looks ace, be it original correct or not. would love to have a USA sleeve, never had that. have become almost an artist over the years lol when it comes to re-build old sleeves. got a FINE Records mailer via my darling dears buy as I am sure some did..
Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Who told you that Bob?

Have seen quite a few in company sleeves and it would seem strange if everyone had just matched up the sleeve to the 45 if it was just in a plain sleeve.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I bought this Circa sleeve waiting to fill it with the rare Ann Perry West Coast Theoda copy - and had it for a few years before I managed to pick up a decent copy of the 45 to put in it.

Click on the scan to see a larger size picture and the date stamp on the label reading Jan 1 1966 :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-51507400-1327147076_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

don't suppose you've got a spare sleeve for my Carl Spencer ? please :)

I wish I did have a spare one. That's not even a 45 sleeve- the seller I got it from told me it was used as a

package for women's nylons in the 60's !! Which makes sense- "Cover Girl Exciting Footwear"

Edited by the yank
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Who told you that Bob?

Have seen quite a few in company sleeves and it would seem strange if everyone had just matched up the sleeve to the 45 if it was just in a plain sleeve.

Cheers

Richard

a detroit resident and record dealer and collector. i think he's soulhawk on here.

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

This Duke one is so awesome:

https://www.ebay.com/...9#ht_499wt_1248

IRDA has to be one of the most common label sleeves btw

I REALLY FEEL SO MUCH BETTER SEEING THESE.................AND I THOUGHT THERE WAS ONLY ME, A TIP THOUGH, USE BROWN PAPER ON TOP WHEN IRONING THEM.,.......O M G

HERES A HARD ONE YOU RARELY SEE

post-20010-0-06042100-1327411629_thumb.j

Social source share

I store all the sleeves for 6 months or so in the garage, intend to do something with them, realise I never will, then I throw them all away.

I did give a few hundred away a few years back but something happened to put me off doing it again, can't remember what, they either didn't send me the postage or something.

So now I just chuck them all away, even the British which I collect - the records I mean.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!