Johnny Washington On Sandwash

boba

This was hidden in the obscure records on big labels thread, so I'm creating a new thread for this. Here were Andy's comments

Again loosely related but never the less rellevent is the John Washington / Daddy Teddybear / Burn the callender / Sandwash , a Agency Studio Recording,certainly the same guy - one side great northern dancer and the flip phew a absolutely fantastic ballad ! in my experience very rare (got 4 copies around 8-10 years ago) sold the spares and haven't seen it since...

Anyways, I got the record yesterday. It was stone mint which was cool. But I thought it was terrible. The ballad side is sort of meandering and poorly written, and there isn't any backup (even girls) on the record. The thing that made the sensations so great was their fantastic harmony.

The other side just sounds like random funky soul to me, although Andy is much more qualified to judge whether a record is a "great northern dancer".

Either way, it's an interesting record, it would be cool to know if John Washington was involved with making music in any other capacity after the sandwash record..

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

thanks a lot. that is a weird sort of gossipy / insidery article with a lot of detail. I wonder who wrote it, maybe Andrew Hamilton?

The pair of you should wash your ears out with soap .. The ballad really is nice,aswell as the uptempo flip with girly reply to the hook line - John Washington is vocally very versatile and sings with soul and passion ! Is it the absence of the group that makes it terrible Bob ? I think the people aren't familiar with these two sides otherwise i'm sure it would have had positive reviews... all personal taste though.

Social source share

thanks a lot. that is a weird sort of gossipy / insidery article with a lot of detail. I wonder who wrote it, maybe Andrew Hamilton?

Yes it says Andrew Hamilton at the end Bob. Quite interesting article I thought - Joan Baez on Way Out? : :pirate:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Is this the one Mick H plays ?

Sure I saw and heard it at Lowton wheb he was on, its a thumper !

Sure it is cos I asked about this an now have seen the label it rings a bell.

Yes that's the one young man, Mick was where one of those first little clutch of went to .Was it in the back room he played it ,if i remember at lowton ? i also played it a few times at the early Lifeline's when i first found it (i dare say it was known about before that ,but it was new to me at that time !)

Social source share

The pair of you should wash your ears out with soap .. The ballad really is nice,aswell as the uptempo flip with girly reply to the hook line - John Washington is vocally very versatile and sings with soul and passion ! Is it the absence of the group that makes it terrible Bob ? I think the people aren't familiar with these two sides otherwise i'm sure it would have had positive reviews... all personal taste though.

Have to agree, it's a very soulful double-sider, and whilst the Sensations aren't in the background, it has everything else that made the Sensations productions so special....John Washington's vocal talents are as strong on this release as "Demanding Man".... it's a must have 45.. :yes:

Social source share

I thought I said I liked it...off to wash me lug oles out.

Social source share

I played the crossover side at a venue once :lol: it bombed and the bar suddenly became very busy! Shades of Curtis M in the vocals I thought......good record.

Not surprised at that Steve, it's a ballad, barely walking pace :lol: .... not really a crossover tune.... but agree with your comments on Curtis like vocals, very different style to his work with the Sensations, but great all the same.

Social source share

Andy Dyson played the 'Calendar' side in the lounge at Essence last year. It's the one side I wrote down to track down all weekend. Glad to say I managed to pick one up since. It didn't sound as good when I played it at home as it did in the lounge, if I'm honest (maybe I needed half a dozen pints down me to recreate the mood) but it's still quite nice... about sums it up! :0)

Sean

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I finally found my copy under a stack of other records and listened to it again. The uptempo side is actually really good, almost (haha) rare groove sounding. I think I didn't get past the weird intro or something when I played it before. The ballad side is okay but not great, has a nice lo-fi vibe to it though.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert