Anyone Dug In This Place In Manchester?

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Ian,

I remember this guy he use to be upstairs on Oxford Street.

He was a big fat bloke with a beard more interested in progressive rock.

He mainly had LPs I bought a couple of him Barbara Lyn and The spellbinders both on import but he was hard work and thought everything was worth a fortune.

I heard he was still about but I wouldn't think he has anything of interest on here .

Regards

Brian

Edited by bri. phill
Social source share

Ian , The record dealers we are a strange bunch , BUT George is probably the zany wackiest most awkward guy you would ever meet.

First time I went to his store when on Oxford Street - ' what do you want ? ' was his opening line.

Oh , I ' m just browsing ' reply.

George : We don' t do browsers so clear out if not buying I don ' t have time for this '.

Lot s of the vinyl was ruined and his prices were way way high....

When he had mellowed after a few visits we managed to gain access to the attic - tons and tons of soul boogie disco twelves around the early 1980 s'

Pulled over 100s of copies of Keni Burke, Arthur Adams, Billy Nicholls - all steady sellers of the day - all offers refused - even 100 for £100 which were good offers on bulk quantities.

' People sare always hassling me for Keni Burke 12s - I wont sell them - he had circa 200 plus of some titles but would not part with anything - the most unhelpful rude dealer I have encountered in over thirty years... ( And that includes some bizarre USA dealers )

He then relocated to smaller premises in Fallowfield and eventually closed that down a few years back....

Last I heard - 2 years back Les Hare ( Kingbee ) was approached by record collector fanzine to appraise his 500 , 000 collection which I think he declined.

Then Eli Espirit dealers were sent in - dealt with his son ( much more approachable ) and began apprasing the collection.

I know other dealers have offered him thousands for some ... lots is water damaged from a flood last year , and not sure if Eli are still appraising they sent two employees allegedly working a few days at a time .. Then George was saying ' oh , thats not for sale ' . Maybe it was just an exercise to attain value of some he was unsure of....lots of chud and crud in there , but will be some good obscurities still I know early 1980 ' s he had a batch of Blue Note RVG albums but lot 's thrashed.

Good luck to any prospective dealers ... be warned .... :rofl::excl::lol:

Social source share

Brian your never feeding red herring to Mr Dewhirst are you? :)

Steve,

I don't think now he would have anything of interest.

You got me dredging my memory.

After I'd stop collecting and dealing I use to buy albums of all types.

I've still got them I know I bought 2 albums from him remember clearly sat behind the counter upstairs.

I was sure one was "Here is Barbara Lynn"and the other on second thoughts was probably Little Milton "Walking the back streets"

I could always remember where I got singles from when I was collecting even though it was a few years before but later not so clear..

The spellbinders may have come from behind The Gaumont(Rotters)at the other end of Oxford Street or even Oldham market(got me thinking)

Regards

Brian

Edited by bri. phill
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I nearly soiled mi panties when I saw all those pictures of records all over the place - there are some things which just get us records obsessives frothing.

I was all set to jump in the car but then I read Glyn's assessment. Oh.

derek

But you know right in the back of your mind there's a little tiny voice saying "Mmm I wonder if...."

Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

I nearly soiled mi panties when I saw all those pictures of records all over the place - there are some things which just get us records obsessives frothing.

I was all set to jump in the car but then I read Glyn's assessment. Oh.

derek

But you know right in the back of your mind there's a little tiny voice saying "Mmm I wonder if...."

Its just like when you go to the car boot and see a box full of records the first ones Dolly Parton the second Max Bygraves, but you still look through the lot.You never know! Edited by chrislokeh
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert