The Combinations And Lyn Westbrook On Kimtone

Guest vinylguy

Guest vinylguy

I have recently come across (what as far as I know are the only two releases on the Atlanta, Georgia based Kimtone records. The Combinations, I'm Gonna Make You Love Me, and Lyn Westbrook's, Need Your Love.

Clips of both are below. I've been able to gather some info on the Combinations, from the Georgia Soul site, but news on the Westbrook release is very thin. Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

there is at least one more release on the label ... it's an earlier orange version of the label but i'm pretty sure it's the same label

maybe not if you're sure this kimtone is ga actually, I always thought it was carolinas. The record I'm thinking of is carolinas, I will try to dig out my info and see if the label numbers match up at least.

Social source share

Guest vinylguy

Yep, if you freeze the frame at the open of the video (and as I see on the label), it says Atlanta, Ga. I believe the Combinations tune may have been recorded in Chicago.

Social source share

Yep, if you freeze the frame at the open of the video (and as I see on the label), it says Atlanta, Ga. I believe the Combinations tune may have been recorded in Chicago.

I don't think the chicago combinations are related, but I haven't found the group yet so I'm not 100 percent sure

Social source share

No, this is definitely not the Kellmac Combinations. It was an Atlanta group and recorded here, as verified to me by Tee Fletcher.

Social source share

As for Lyn Westbrook, biographic details are fuzzy. In addition to the Kimtone 45, there is

Del-Mar 1016 - I'm the One / I'm In Love

Esprit 29446 - African Strut pt. 1 / pt. 2

Del-Mar is Nashville based and Esprit was an Atlanta label. The owner of the Esprit label is deceased now, but I did ask him a number of years ago about Westbrook, and I didn't learn much of anything from that conversation. Maybe the Youtube video will help some further information surface.

Social source share

Hi....I have the Combinations 45 on a plain red lable Kimtone and of the few other copies I've seen they've all been same design as the copy in your earlier post mine came from a guy in Georgia.

Social source share

Guest vinylguy

As for Lyn Westbrook, biographic details are fuzzy. In addition to the Kimtone 45, there is

Del-Mar 1016 - I'm the One / I'm In Love

Esprit 29446 - African Strut pt. 1 / pt. 2

Del-Mar is Nashville based and Esprit was an Atlanta label. The owner of the Esprit label is deceased now, but I did ask him a number of years ago about Westbrook, and I didn't learn much of anything from that conversation. Maybe the Youtube video will help some further information surface.

I thought it might be the same guy, but I believe the name on those labels was Lynn (an extra 'n')

Social source share

I just checked and even though the Kim Stacy record is Spartanburg, S.C., I think there's a connection.

The Stacy record is produced by Bill Lyles. (actually it says Bill Lyles production, and the label number is BL-301)

The Combinations record also says Lyles Production

I don't know what that means since the combinations record is produced by Tee Fletcher, but I do know that they must be related somehow even if they're not exactly the same label.

Social source share

I just checked and even though the Kim Stacy record is Spartanburg, S.C., I think there's a connection.

The Stacy record is produced by Bill Lyles. (actually it says Bill Lyles production, and the label number is BL-301)

The Combinations record also says Lyles Production

I don't know what that means since the combinations record is produced by Tee Fletcher, but I do know that they must be related somehow even if they're not exactly the same label.

Yes, and I remember doing a short but fruitless search for Mr. Lyles a couple of years ago. His name shows up on quite a few recordings from around the Southeast. Like the Atlanta/Greenville SC Soulville label, it's entirely likely that the person who ran Kimtone moved from one state to the other. The chronology of the three singles is unknown to me.

Social source share

Yes, and I remember doing a short but fruitless search for Mr. Lyles a couple of years ago. His name shows up on quite a few recordings from around the Southeast. Like the Atlanta/Greenville SC Soulville label, it's entirely likely that the person who ran Kimtone moved from one state to the other. The chronology of the three singles is unknown to me.

it would be funny if it was harvey lyles uncle or something

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vinylguy

Time to put the other Kimtone record up for sale. I will probably get the Lyn Westbrook record on ebay tonight. I haven't ever seen any others on there, so who knows??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert