Recording Flaw?

Weingarden

:hatsoff2: HI That a interesting point of view and quite plausible, However I would say you were 100% right but for one thing, the studio recording set up, It was not until October 1966 that the worlds #1 group got to record on 4 track tape. the recordings they made at Abby Road was amazing skill, from the engineers at the time. Queen recorded Bohemian Rhapsody on 16 track Rose Morris, I worked with the roadie who did the sound for the group family there singer Roger Chapman with him made the 1st on stage fold-back set up (a separate PA for the band to here what they were playing) as such I have a good knowledge about studio recording, and I am sure it is like I say, You may be right though, it is important to remember that the backing track in good studios is just that a track that has been laid down, most vocals were dubbed over the backing from another track, if they used a 3 track machine backing singers and extra BASS would be dubbed on, so my guess it's still a clip mark made 1 rev before giving that amazing sound, but again you have a good point, :rofl: DAVE

Hi Dave. I'm not totally following this thread-within-a-thread about multitracking, but I do know of examples before 1966 of soul records being recorded on multitrack tape. Specifically, Jan Bradley's "mama didn't lie" was recorded on multitrack. It came out in 1962. Chess didn't have a multitrack setup but she said they recorded it in some studio in Missouri. Here vocals are doubled on the track, which wouldn't have been possible on a single track. There is also a Doris Troy 45 on atlantic that has a similar thing, can't remember which one right now but can pull out the records to check if it's important. Thanks.

Social source share

Hi Dave. I'm not totally following this thread-within-a-thread about multi-tracking, but I do know of examples before 1966 of soul records being recorded on multi-track tape. Specifically, Jan Bradley's "mama didn't lie" was recorded on multi track. It came out in 1962. Chess didn't have a multi-track setup but she said they recorded it in some studio in Missouri. Here vocals are doubled on the track, which wouldn't have been possible on a single track. There is also a Doris Troy 45 on Atlantic that has a similar thing, can't remember which one right now but can pull out the records to check if it's important. Thanks.

HI I don't disagree with that at all, wasn't the great Les Paul who made an art in multi tracking his guitar, in fact what he put together for his guitar was copied by many studios, it was not until the SMALL FACES got to work on cross fazing and HENDRIX WIRH FEEDBACK come along LES PAUL was the man, and another thing to consider is all records of the 40s 50s & early 60s were of a much higher quality than the machine used to play them on, still at the end of the day it i still a mystery, DAVE

Social source share

HI I don't disagree with that at all, wasn't the great Les Paul who made an art in multi tracking his guitar, in fact what he put together for his guitar was copied by many studios, it was not until the SMALL FACES got to work on cross fazing and HENDRIX WIRH FEEDBACK come along LES PAUL was the man, and another thing to consider is all records of the 40s 50s & early 60s were of a much higher quality than the machine used to play them on, still at the end of the day it i still a mystery, DAVE

ok thanks. i just read through the thread again and I think you're talking about a specific studio not being multitrack. But I'm not sure which record you're talking about. Sorry to be confused. Thanks.

Social source share

Dave, I really struggle to follow what you are on about 75% of the time :D I think I get it, but there is always a lot of re-reading to be done..... Am I the only one who struggles with this? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy your posts but they can be mighty tough to decipher. :)

:hatsoff2: Hi All this is my reply to why my posts are so full of energy and crap, I care that you care, so here is a bit of explanation :g:

As high as 25% pleases me, for this reason, As a kid I was very waywood and resented authority, it was not until 10 years ago I found out I was dyslexic, as a kid to avoid some of the educational ways that were the norm in the 50's & 60's I would play up the teachers rotten, back then I would rather get the slipper or the cane in front of the class or at the morning assembly, when I started Secondary School this issue was the bane of my life, many times in many subjects, I approached subjects and issues in a latural way rather than the standard liner style, remember back then you were taught by going over &over things again & again, as I had a good memory and good at problem solving (good at math), at exam times I was never below 5th in the class, this p***ed of the teachers, as I would truant from school most of the week, but out shine the kids who attended all the time, :sleep3:

As I got more out of control and being from a 1 parent family, I became very skillful at stealing and telling lies, also become unpredictable by the time I was 12 I got expelled for stabbing a teacher, the year before I shot a 17 year old in the temple with a harpoon, from that time on I was in kids homes in the north, this experience was to make me street wise, I was a constant run away and landed up at all the major town & Cities in England, it is scary to think how dangerous it all was, and also how the country has changed since then as no alerts were put out, and when the police picked me up! i was aware that when I got back to the home I would get a really hard beating. but that did not bother me, by the time I left school for me to spend a night out in SOHO was nothing, in 68 I was typical of many kids of that time and followed the violent types that attended my Football team West Ham United as such the youth culture that emerged from the ground soon spread and I was your typical Bovver Boy, but one of those who never ran away, adding to the fact that I first started using Amphetamine's at 15, you get what you see on these pages 40 years on,

My poor English has baffled most! as I write more a less as I speak, as such many times I will write about whats in my head than what most people are used to, getting to the point as quick as you can, if any one cant follow my posts or I deviate away to much. PLEASE SAY as I prefer people who are open with there views rather than people who patronise me, as I have a high IQ, and have lots of life experience that could help many younger people, especially in the treatment of chemical dependency issues, to conclude I am a qualified counsellor counselling supervisor, and a teacher in adult education not to bad, but ill health has made me broke in the last 2 years this means I have to take 10 different types of meds a day including 10 Dex so that also can make my posts hedonistic.

:rofl: DAVE the BLADE,

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All this is my reply to why my posts are so full of energy and crap, I care that you care, so here is a bit of explanation :g:

As high as 25% pleases me, for this reason, As a kid I was very waywood and resented authority, it was not until 10 years ago I found out I was dyslexic, as a kid to avoid some of the educational ways that were the norm in the 50's & 60's I would play up the teachers rotten, back then I would rather get the slipper or the cane in front of the class or at the morning assembly, when I started Secondary School this issue was the bane of my life, many times in many subjects, I approached subjects and issues in a latural way rather than the standard liner style, remember back then you were taught by going over &over things again & again, as I had a good memory and good at problem solving (good at math), at exam times I was never below 5th in the class, this p***ed of the teachers, as I would truant from school most of the week, but out shine the kids who attended all the time, :sleep3:

As I got more out of control and being from a 1 parent family, I became very skillful at stealing and telling lies, also become unpredictable by the time I was 12 I got expelled for stabbing a teacher, the year before I shot a 17 year old in the temple with a harpoon, from that time on I was in kids homes in the north, this experience was to make me street wise, I was a constant run away and landed up at all the major town & Cities in England, it is scary to think how dangerous it all was, and also how the country has changed since then as no alerts were put out, and when the police picked me up! i was aware that when I got back to the home I would get a really hard beating. but that did not bother me, by the time I left school for me to spend a night out in SOHO was nothing, in 68 I was typical of many kids of that time and followed the violent types that attended my Football team West Ham United as such the youth culture that emerged from the ground soon spread and I was your typical Bovver Boy, but one of those who never ran away, adding to the fact that I first started using Amphetamine's at 15, you get what you see on these pages 40 years on,

My poor English has baffled most! as I write more a less as I speak, as such many times I will write about whats in my head than what most people are used to, getting to the point as quick as you can, if any one cant follow my posts or I deviate away to much. PLEASE SAY as I prefer people who are open with there views rather than people who patronise me, as I have a high IQ, and have lots of life experience that could help many younger people, especially in the treatment of chemical dependency issues, to conclude I am a qualified counsellor counselling supervisor, and a teacher in adult education not to bad, but ill health has made me broke in the last 2 years this means I have to take 10 different types of meds a day including 10 Dex so that also can make my posts hedonistic.

I didn't understand a f*cking word of that

Social source share

I did really.

I bet those 10 Dex a day are doing you good.

HI PETE Well the truth is yes asI would proberbly Dead years ago! and if you dont understand my rambles, it would be like me saying you have never been to an all nigter, so pray please tell me what part gives you problems, is above 25% or less??
Social source share

HI PETE Well the truth is yes asI would proberbly Dead years ago! and if you dont understand my rambles, it would be like me saying you have never been to an all nigter, so pray please tell me what part gives you problems, is above 25% or less??

None, I understand all your posts and really enjoy them...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I didn't understand a f*cking word of that

Actually those paragraphs were written pretty clearly, thanks for the story of your life, it was interesting.

I don't know what "Dex" is though, googling makes it sound like you are either talking about either a corticosteroid or dextromethorphan, I guess the first one is more likely.

Also, I still don't know what record you were talking about when you were saying that it was not multitracked. it's not clear because there are so many different conversations in the thread, not because you wrote it a certain way. Thanks.

Social source share

awesome reply, thanks for sharing.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!