Recording Flaw?

Weingarden

Guest allnightandy

This one sprang to mind as soon as i saw this topic

there are at least two blips in this one at 0.13 seconds and at 0.54 seconds

Willie tee walking up a one way street !

Social source share

Wait, Pete, are you saying that copies exist that don't have the flaw? All of mine have, and the random youtube clip I found to illustrate my point....

No I'm just saying that having been an early champion of this record, way back in 1990 or thereabouts when it was a £2 cheapie, I've heard it hundreds of time but never noticed the flaw, I might have thought it was part of the record!

Social source share

I never noticed that before but it's clearly there.

Not tape flutter, but one vaguely similar thing I always noticed that annoys me is that you can hear an edit (probably from another take or something) in the Bluebelles version of "I'm still waiting":

it happens around 2:29 or 2:30

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Surely those Willie Tee blips are just in THIS youtube recording, no? I just checked out two other youtube versions of the same record (one on U.K. Atlantic) and they are fine.

The reason i posted the youtube clip was the blips are on both my copies a demo and a stock , where did you find the other two youtube versions the one i posted was the only one there i think ? Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

I never noticed that before but it's clearly there.

...that you can hear an edit (probably from another take or something) in the Bluebelles version of "I'm still waiting":

it happens around 2:29 or 2:30

I agree, it really sounds like that. But do you really think that back in the 60s they were technically able to mix in the vocals from another take?

Social source share

I agree, it really sounds like that. But do you really think that back in the 60s they were technically able to mix in the vocals from another take?

certain studios did have multitrack recorders. but i don't think they mixed in the vocals from another take, i think they did more than one take and spliced the tape together at the point of the edit.

Social source share

Thought of this while reading another thread. What happens at 1:45 here? Sounds like the tape slows down for half a second. All copies of the single have it. A production mistake or an inexplicable bit of vocal gymnastics?

:hatsoff2: Hi All if you list at 1.35 on at 1.39 there is a studio splice in tape, if you can imagine the tape mowing on 1 rev, as the tape goes over the splice it gives the effect of what you here at 1.45, , so by fixing whatever the problem was at 1.39 with a splice, and the engineer had aleady marked the tape as the problem, why would he bother checking what was already checked, :thumbsup: in the 70s when I did a bit of work in the music trade, many of the old AMPEX 2 & 3 TRACK RECORDERS were being phased out, and that sort of machine would have been top of the range in most top recording studios, as such the tape had many cuts and edits in them, and the sound man would put a slip of paper to mark the cut, again this could of been left on the tape in the same way, the next operation was to cut the metal demo and master stamper, :g:listen to LARY WILLIAMS & JOHNNY WATSON "TO LATE" Okeh

Why the quality control did not pick the mistake up is anybodys guess? but I am sure that this is the explanation that you seek :rofl: DAVE

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Here's Willie Tee on U.K. Atlantic without any discernible glitch at the start.

That clip doesn't play ! The copy i put up off youtube is a UK copy both of mine are American ALL with the same blip's

there are no other copies on you tube in this country to compair it with and the clip you offered does not play !

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Huh? I just listened to it for the third time!

It says : The video content from WMG@EMI one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds !
Social source share

whoa, I always thought it was just my copy and I was pissed.

nah, i grabbed a bunch of unplayed ones from Amoeba & they all do it on each time the organ turnaround bit (like you hear near the start occurs), pretty sure it'll be all of them from a bad master edit because I checked with someone elses unrelated copy too & now yours.

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

nah, i grabbed a bunch of unplayed ones from Amoeba & they all do it on each time the organ turnaround bit (like you hear near the start occurs), pretty sure it'll be all of them from a bad master edit because I checked with someone elses unrelated copy too & now yours.

you think it's the tape and not the plates? Did you ever try spinning it back slowly or looking closely at the vinyl to see if it was messed up.

Social source share

you think it's the tape and not the plates? Did you ever try spinning it back slowly or looking closely at the vinyl to see if it was messed up.

i think it's a bad tape edit on the backing track. didn't think it was the plates at the time because i couldn't see anything overly crooked/wobbled at those points. I think it happens 3 times in total, when it happens under the vocals I think it just gets hidden better.

Social source share

It says : The video content from WMG@EMI one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds !

Well, I can assure you that the UK press played in the clip you can't listen to doesn't have the same glitch right at the beginning of the song that the clip you posted above does. Neither does my American copy, which I played on the radio here: https://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/14092

Click on realaudio link; "Walking Up..." comes up around 58:08.

But my copy DOES have the glitch on the word "greet," as yours does as 0:54. Strange!

Edited by weingarden
Social source share

i think it's a bad tape edit on the backing track. didn't think it was the plates at the time because i couldn't see anything overly crooked/wobbled at those points. I think it happens 3 times in total, when it happens under the vocals I think it just gets hidden better.

I thought there was only one skip at the beginning before the vocals come in.

Social source share

Never heard the

This one sprang to mind as soon as i saw this topic

there are at least two blips in this one at 0.13 seconds and at 0.54 seconds

Willie tee walking up a one way street !

On my copy the blip is only at 54 secs , and it is also on the Mojo reissue. I have just had a listen to the track on a WillieTee CD and the blip is not on the track anywhere.

Edited by shinehead
Social source share

ok, let's start to perpetuate the rumor on here that anything not listed is common & cheap, make it a sticky at the top of the sales forum, like the grading thread... :wicked:

actually that worked well in the US when price guides 1 and 2 were out, as they had much less info than the current book which is like twice the size. So even if they had a manship guide, if you weren't getting an obvious northern record it was cheap. No more.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All if you list at 1.35 on at 1.39 there is a studio splice in tape, if you can imagine the tape mowing on 1 rev, as the tape goes over the splice it gives the effect of what you here at 1.45, , so by fixing whatever the problem was at 1.39 with a splice, and the engineer had aleady marked the tape as the problem, why would he bother checking what was already checked, :thumbsup: in the 70s when I did a bit of work in the music trade, many of the old AMPEX 2 & 3 TRACK RECORDERS were being phased out, and that sort of machine would have been top of the range in most top recording studios, as such the tape had many cuts and edits in them, and the sound man would put a slip of paper to mark the cut, again this could of been left on the tape in the same way, the next operation was to cut the metal demo and master stamper, :g:listen to LARY WILLIAMS & JOHNNY WATSON "TO LATE" Okeh

Why the quality control did not pick the mistake up is anybodys guess? but I am sure that this is the explanation that you seek :rofl: DAVE

Its sounds more like she has her tongue in her cheek, what was she suppose to sing when she actualy says - I will be near to you where ever I may cline when did she wanted to say - I will be near to you whenever I'm Inclined, the backing stays the same speed so I cant see how its a spliced tape theory.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Its sounds more like she has her tongue in her cheek, what was she suppose to sing when she actually says - I will be near to you where ever I may cline when did she wanted to say - I will be near to you whenever I'm Inclined, the backing stays the same speed so I cant see how its a spliced tape theory.

:hatsoff2: HI That a interesting point of view and quite plausible, However I would say you were 100% right but for one thing, the studio recording set up, It was not until October 1966 that the worlds #1 group got to record on 4 track tape. the recordings they made at Abby Road was amazing skill, from the engineers at the time. Queen recorded Bohemian Rhapsody on 16 track Rose Morris, I worked with the roadie who did the sound for the group family there singer Roger Chapman with him made the 1st on stage fold-back set up (a separate PA for the band to here what they were playing) as such I have a good knowledge about studio recording, and I am sure it is like I say, You may be right though, it is important to remember that the backing track in good studios is just that a track that has been laid down, most vocals were dubbed over the backing from another track, if they used a 3 track machine backing singers and extra BASS would be dubbed on, so my guess it's still a clip mark made 1 rev before giving that amazing sound, but again you have a good point, :rofl: DAVE
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!