Ian Levine 3 Hour Podcast Solid Soul Sensations

Pete S

Guest Brett F

Love the 70's, crossover sounds, could care less about the pop/soul, Two Tons of Love, Kitty Doswell etc, great records but a staple of many a quality 70's /crossover club like say Filthy Soul, Monumental, Soul Essence, Dab of Soul, Bentinck etc, the sort of brilliant 70's/Crossover things ive heard Steve Guarnori, Dave Rippolles, Lars Bulnheim, Chris Anderton, Cliff Steele and obviously Butch (Bamberg, Hamburg Modern rooms) playing for a number of years. Not certain how so many crossover/70's tunes would go down with the mainly 60's rare soul fans that the 100 club caters for ? But maybe he will go mainly a 60's route, who knows, i like what i like and don't like what i don't like....and thats all that matters too me.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Pleasant easy listening music but not Northern enough for me either.....I'm sure he is playing this stuff and on the night will start playing a set of uptempo unknowns.Ive a CD he compiled for the Rocket and will put up a tracklisting most of which got severely panned on here.From memory Benny Harper-My Prayer,Old Devil Moon-Adam Wade,Return To Me-Bobby Samson plus a load of other great stuff.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I enjoyed the podcast.

Ian has a good radio dj voice.

He played a good variety of records.

Its not all about having the latests, rarest, most expensive record, anyone can play one record after the next -

Its a package, It needs to be entertaining, keeping the interest of the listeners with stories and history from start to finish, and playing the sounds that run smoothly from one to the next.

Thats what makes a good broadcast, and Ian has done that in my eyes.

Well done and thank you, because I keep going back to re-listen to it,

Pauline :):thumbsup:

Social source share

Finished hour 3 this afternoon. Have to say I definitely have not wasted 3 hours of my life by listening to this podcast. It was entertaining, some parts educating and some parts just entertaining. Nice to hear he kicked off with Tony Bruno. I knew he was desperately after a copy, good to hear he finally managed to find a copy. I'm sure he's going to play it at the 100.

I know Levine is a red rag to many. His ego caused many internet kerfuffles over the years, starting with the ancient mailing lists like KTF or his own "advanced northern soul". Try to listen without prejudice and don't expect every track to be a complete mind-blower (even if IL says it is). You'll enjoy it, I certainly did.

Social source share

Gotta agree with Gareth really.

Im into the second hour and I can't say that there is anything that I've thought I'd like that, other than those I've known for years. As Gareth said the lesser known items were pretty bad. That Jason Steel on MS, Bob Wright [shades of Rod Stewart in the voice] on UK Bell, Letta M and...., the Porter.. on HBR.

So far the best track I'd not heard before was that Wilson Williams but as we're discussing this playlist in the context of a 100 Club appearance you gotta wonder whether that type of sound would fit in there. Of course he could be keeping some items under wraps that haven't appeared here.

That's not to say that in the 3 hours he hasn't got a 60 minute playlist that would be OK for a more 70's leaning night but my feeling is he's not going to stand out compared to say Dave Ripoles or others. And I don't think Ian would like to settle for second-best as he never has done [which is why he drove the scene forward in the early 70's].

ROD

Bob Wright was the lead singer of Los Bravos...he had a spell away from music in 70-71 and worked on a Texas ranch and came back to London.He recorded this in late 71 and it was released in Jan 72.I wonder if Ian played it as a contemporary release at the time.

Social source share

Bob Wright was the lead singer of Los Bravos...he had a spell away from music in 70-71 and worked on a Texas ranch and came back to London.He recorded this in late 71 and it was released in Jan 72.I wonder if Ian played it as a contemporary release at the time.

He did - told me the other day

Social source share

But not the voice of the monster US & British hit 'black is black'. That was a german guy called mike volker kogel who called himself mike kennedy after he left the group in 1969. The rest of the group were spaniards from madrid & majorca.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Personally I found the first 2 hours very appealing, have not got as far as the end yet. I really liked hearing things I've never heard before, Jason Steel - Suppose, Chocolate Syrup - You Got A Lot To Give, ( both of which I had never heard before and have just obtained thanks to hearing it on the podcast), Porter Jorden - Untouchable Woman, Hyla Parker - Joe, Letta & The Safaris - Walking Around, are all new to me. I'm only a collector of 10 years or so, many of the tracks can be found on youtube or google MP3s once you have learned the title from Ian. I think he has tried to ditch current Northern Soul & Rare Soul boundaries to a very enjoyable level for the average punter.

Edited by soulmaguk
Social source share

interesting info, thanks.

Social source share

Fifth Avenue Band - was a Keith Money spin way back. Some known tunes on here amongst us collectors , so glad he was not preaching ' only one copy blah blah blah... Think that the opening track is Italian power pop cack IMHO - purchased on Ebay ( might be rare , but it s shite ) . Some good known spins from Timothy Wilson , Kittie Doswell , Steelers ( spun on jazz fm way back when he guested )

Edited by glynthornhill
Social source share

Think that the opening track is Italian power pop cack IMHO - purchased on Ebay ( might be rare , but it s shite ) .

Dunno about Italian, it appears to be German only and it came from Ebay Germany so it was pretty hard to find.

I don't like it either though.

Social source share

I enjoyed it. Lots of good music and very well presented. Not all of it hit the spot and I was surprised how many even I knew (which wasn't that many really). Tic Toc by Connie Stevens was excellent. I guess she's white but it's still a great northern soul record. I don't think he intended the entire podcast to consist of northern soul. Some of the 70s stuff wasn't but they were still pretty good.

Edited by daved
Social source share

Is there actually a track listing anywhere of what Ian played on the show please?

If not, anyone who has listened fancy doing one? :D

Cheers

Richard

Here goes Richard - but only the artists. :wicked: Off the top of my head...

TONY BRUNO

STEELERS

5TH AVE BAND

SAM WILLIAMS SINGERS

CONNIE STEVENS

11TH COMMANDMENT

DITTO

WILLIE WADE

DITTO

CHOCOLATE SYRUP

HYLA ? PARKER

125TH ST.CANDY STORE

JASON STEELE

BILLY BYRD.!!

BOB WRIGHT

KITTY DOSWELL

PHENOMENONS

BETTYE JEAN PLUMMER

LETA MBULU

2 TONS OF LOVE

PORTER JORDAN.

ROZ RYAN

ANNETE THOMAS

WILSON WILLIAMS

LEROY BARBOUR

FERNS FOUNDRY

ELLA WOODS

TIMOTHY WILSON

TEMPESTS

DITTO

JEFF PERRY

HARVEY AVERNE DOZEN

FULL FLAVOR

LEE WILLIAMS

PRETENDERS

MELODICS

LARRINGTON WALKER

LEE VANDERBILT

JAMES BELL !!

AL McCALL

EXITS

SOUL AGGREGATION.yuk

More later.I'm busy. :lol:

Social source share

Here goes Richard - but only the artists. :wicked: Off the top of my head...

TONY BRUNO

STEELERS

5TH AVE BAND

SAM WILLIAMS SINGERS

CONNIE STEVENS

11TH COMMANDMENT

DITTO

WILLIE WADE

DITTO

CHOCOLATE SYRUP

HYLA ? PARKER

125TH ST.CANDY STORE

JASON STEELE

BILLY BYRD.!!

BOB WRIGHT

KITTY DOSWELL

PHENOMENONS

BETTYE JEAN PLUMMER

LETA MBULU

2 TONS OF LOVE

PORTER JORDAN.

ROZ RYAN

ANNETE THOMAS

WILSON WILLIAMS

LEROY BARBOUR

FERNS FOUNDRY

ELLA WOODS

TIMOTHY WILSON

TEMPESTS

DITTO

JEFF PERRY

HARVEY AVERNE DOZEN

FULL FLAVOR

LEE WILLIAMS

PRETENDERS

MELODICS

LARRINGTON WALKER

LEE VANDERBILT

JAMES BELL !!

AL McCALL

EXITS

SOUL AGGREGATION.yuk

More later.I'm busy. :lol:

The other side of the Soul Aggregation would have been a much better bet Kev - "I can't find love"

He also played James Shorter Modern Day Woman

Cheers

Edited by manus
Social source share

Listened to it all, some good some bad, started off bad IMO and some poppy stuff that werent to my liking but overall it weren't too bad a three hour listen, certainly heard worse. Some good crossover and 70's in the set

As said nothing unknown to speak off. Dunno where he gets his info but Ian ought to ask someone else, Gracie Dumas....unknown? It's not the type of stuff that all-nighter goers want either so not sure how it will go down at the 100 Club?

Social source share

I've listened to it and pretty much like everybody else has said, some good stuff and some not so good stuff.

Can't see much in there for a nighter spot but I can't imagine that Ian would use this podcast as a template anyhow.

Always enthusiastic, predictably controversial, difficult to ignore - it is his way now as much as it's always been.

Social source share

Well I think at the end of the day, Ian is going to be quietly pleased at the reaction to this podcast. Only a handful of out and out slatings, people split 50/50 on the content and lots of positive comments. And over 5000 views generating a lot of publicity. Saturday will be interesting I'm sure.

Social source share

next few...

JOHNNY MOORE

SHIRLEY WAHLS

TONY DRAKE

RONNIE DYSON

MAURICE JACKSON

PHILARMONICS

GRACIE DUMAS

BOOBY FREEMAN !!

KENNI LEWIS

JAMES SHORTER

MELVIN MOORE

EARLS INC

JIMMY HELMS

SKIP JACKSON!!

BARBARA MILLS

RINGLEADERS

NEW IMAGE

WAYNE BOLLIN..

LARRY SAUNDERS

PATTI LABELLE

TERRI & MARSHA

CHUCK JACKSON

PERSIANS

DAVID & GIANTS

GAYLE WINTERS

JOHN BROS.

FREDDIE WATERS

GERALD SIMS

2ND NATURE

MARIAN LOVE

HANK MULLEN

125TH ST CANDY STORE.

74 tracks in all.Off the top of my head. :)

Edited by KevH
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL This is the sort of record that I remember finding in junk shops, and trying to impres Mick Smith at my discovery way back in the early 70s i remember it got the thumbs down then, mind you did it fit in with the Fuller Bros or the Carstairs? the pictured record is of the UK Bell record, what next Madi Gra "To busy thinking" or the B side of the Fantastics Classic "Something old Something new", I do not jest it's a good tune? so all you car booters out there tucked away on the UK Bell label inbetween the Gary Glitter & Bay City Rollers, there are some really non expensive soul recoards along with re issues Like Bobbi Lynn Earthquake, which is a cheap way of getting the underplayed B side. :g: Dave

"Opportunity Street", still raises an eyebrow when played lol

Social source share

Anybody could do a podcast at any time, if I feel like doing one, I take 20 minutes to choose the records, 90 minutes to record, then about 45 minutes to get it onto the pc and publish it.

If he wanted to do another one it's a piece of p*ss and would only take a couple of hours.

:hatsoff2: HI PETE I wish it was as easy as you say it is, as my life on the net would be 100% better if I could grasp these basic stuff, I agree that once you reach a certain level of achievement you will challenge yourself to achieve more, and with experience, most challenges in life are achievable, however if you don't understand the basics it becomes a problem to solve, I am sure if some of the basics of this new tech was observed by myself , I would master it, maybe you need a clear mind at the start is the answer, is there any sights were you can observe how to set up and record audio? as I have the equipment, :rofl: DAVE
Social source share

How do you download this? I'd like to listen but haven't got 3 hours to spare in front of my computer. I would like to put it on my MP3 player and perhaps listen on the way to Thorne on Saturday. Can anyone help please?

click on"listen on soundcloud" underneath the soundfile and there is a download option on there bud,hope this helps mate

jason

Social source share

click on"listen on soundcloud" underneath the soundfile and there is a download option on there bud,hope this helps mate

jason

Thanks very much for replying. I'd been right clicking, etc. It's now downloaded and I'll listen to it on my way to Doncaster tomorrow, I've never seen Ian Levine DJing, so it will be interesting to hear his current plays. All being well I'll be at the 100 Club for his guest appearance, so this should give a preview.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI PETE I wish it was as easy as you say it is, as my life on the net would be 100% better if I could grasp these basic stuff, I agree that once you reach a certain level of achievement you will challenge yourself to achieve more, and with experience, most challenges in life are achievable, however if you don't understand the basics it becomes a problem to solve, I am sure if some of the basics of this new tech was observed by myself , I would master it, maybe you need a clear mind at the start is the answer, is there any sights were you can observe how to set up and record audio? as I have the equipment, :rofl: DAVE

Dave I can give you the software you need to mix the podcast and show you where to upload it. You just need to get the music together on a cd or usb. As your decks seem to be miles away from your pc, I doubt you can record directly into the pc.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!