Ian Levine 3 Hour Podcast Solid Soul Sensations

Pete S

Gotta agree with Gareth really.

Im into the second hour and I can't say that there is anything that I've thought I'd like that, other than those I've known for years. As Gareth said the lesser known items were pretty bad. That Jason Steel on MS, Bob Wright [shades of Rod Stewart in the voice] on UK Bell, Letta M and...., the Porter.. on HBR.

So far the best track I'd not heard before was that Wilson Williams but as we're discussing this playlist in the context of a 100 Club appearance you gotta wonder whether that type of sound would fit in there. Of course he could be keeping some items under wraps that haven't appeared here.

That's not to say that in the 3 hours he hasn't got a 60 minute playlist that would be OK for a more 70's leaning night but my feeling is he's not going to stand out compared to say Dave Ripoles or others. And I don't think Ian would like to settle for second-best as he never has done [which is why he drove the scene forward in the early 70's].

ROD

Social source share

One thing is for sure - Ian's enthusiasm for the music is creditable and over flowing,i've only listened to around 40 minutes of the set at the moment ,but what is apparent is there is no unknowns - having said that who on the scene is currently playing true top quality unknowns ,the odd few on a great day.I guess a key style missing is the uptempo 60's winner that one has to have a handfull of to cut it,that said Ian's delivery and proffesional dj style (toned down ) a tad maybe,maybe what the upfront niter scene needs when you look at what the majority of the so called forward thinking players have to offer ?

White shite ,black shite both included in there,some good black vocals too.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ian told me a few weeks ago to look our for that Bob Wright as he found it on one of his old Mecca playlists and they played it as a new release, I found one in 5 minutes for £5, might still be a few out there if anyone's interested.

There must be hundreds of records that were played as one-offs and never played again.

Alsi I0 9gree with Andy above, really needs some top uptempo 60's - but as I said the other day, Ian bought a lot of really good oldies off me recently, I don't mean Tainted Love, Dearly Beloved sort of things, Quotations, Sheryl Swope, stuff like that, so he's got enough amunition.

Social source share

Ian told me a few weeks ago to look our for that Bob Wright as he found it on one of his old Mecca playlists and they played it as a new release, I found one in 5 minutes for £5, might still be a few out there if anyone's interested.

I was excited to hear the track when he announced it as an unknown bell soul record could be excellent. the backing starts off okay and then the guy starts singing and it's clearly a rock record. Then I see it's on UK bell. That record really wasn't made as a soul record and putting it in a soul context (which works for many non-soul records) doesn't work.

Social source share

There must be hundreds of records that were played as one-offs and never played again.

Alsi I0 9gree with Andy above, really needs some top uptempo 60's - but as I said the other day, Ian bought a lot of really good oldies off me recently, I don't mean Tainted Love, Dearly Beloved sort of things, Quotations, Sheryl Swope, stuff like that, so he's got enough amunition.

============

like the four vandals was played at the torch and broke on the bus back??

Social source share

I was excited to hear the track when he announced it as an unknown bell soul record could be excellent. the backing starts off okay and then the guy starts singing and it's clearly a rock record. Then I see it's on UK bell. That record really wasn't made as a soul record and putting it in a soul context (which works for many non-soul records) doesn't work.

Yeah I agree with you.

The label doesn't say if it's a US or a UK recording.

post-1893-0-68114200-1326207483_thumb.jp

Social source share

So far the best track I'd not heard before was that Wilson Williams but as we're discussing this playlist in the context of a 100 Club appearance you gotta wonder whether that type of sound would fit in there. Of course he could be keeping some items under wraps that haven't appeared here.

ROD

I've only listened to the first hour so far and though I like to be open minded there's very little that floats my boat so far - and certainly not in a 100 Club or niter context.

I'm hoping too that a few things are being kept under wraps, but having just heard Ian say that he hopes that the podcast introduces a few sounds that will be firm favourites by the time he play's them at the 100 Club, well, I'm not very optimistic.

Undoubtedly there will be a few non-regulars along for the occasion which may or may not be a good thing. I'll be there but from what I've heard so far I think I might have to take an extra pack of cigarettes.

:hatsoff2: - Kev.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have - Lead balloon I'm affraid, even as the last track in my spot. I'll not be doing it again in a hurry lol.

Don't be a 'Scaredy Cat' He He :wink: , I would have danced if I was there. Try 'Splicing' it in after something like Marion Stewart - I Must Be Losing You....No one will notice (Honest!) :D

All the best,

Len.

P.S - If D.Jing was easy, everyone would be doing it...Hang on? - They are! - Now that's confusing! :O)

Social source share

Am I The only one missing something here .. Pete posts up a 3 hr podcast of Ian levines current taste in music ... Then everyone takes it in turn to dissect it.

Does that mean , when everyone else posts a radio show podcast , we do the same ??only I haven't yet seen similar practice on here.

For the record , never met and absolutely no connection with Ian Levine .

Hey Nev i thought the same as you at first and didnt post anyhting for that reason BUT ive now listened to it all the way through and after reading Pete`s post that Ian asked him to put on here for all to hear and hearing Ian saying at the end of his podcast that he hoped everyone injoyed it and that it will probabaly get ripped apart on a Soul Site that he is banned from (guessing thats SS) then yeah i think he is looking for feedback wether good or bad, so on that note here is my pennies worth.

some tunes that i really liked not many but a few and many that i thought were bloody awful but hey thats the same feedback i normally get about my tastes so nothing too damning there, is any of that music right for the 100 Club ? imho NO except maybe 3/4 at most, was it just a taster and he is holding back with some real quality tuneage ? i think he is cos like someone said he likes to be known as the best and will strive to be that and hey nowt wrong with that but can anyone get even close to Butch ? no imho, will he mix it up at the 100 Club and just how will any discoeeee 70s or even crossover go down with the dancers at the 100 Club, not sure but one thing is for sure and that he is an attraction to many and he does have a lot of knowledge and is/was a top dj, time will tell and no doubt Ian will let his playlist from the 100 Club be known and be disected and take in the feedback, good luck to him anyone with a passion for the music can only be good for the scene cant they :D

Social source share

well ive listened and to be honest not northern enuff for me but HATS off to Ian to trying to win people over by doing this

he blew me away in the 90s and i really wish he was an easier person to get along with but i wish him well at the 100 club

im sure he'll get alot of good feedback and go down well

atb

mark :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yeah I agree with you.

post-1893-0-68114200-1326207483_thumb.jpg

Producer Ralph Murphy could be the guy who wrote some of the James Royal stuff on CBS. Got a pre-release sheet that mentions him

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Enjoyed flicking through it and it was no surprise to know Ian is a big cross-over fan.

Encouraging stuff , Tezza won't like it but who cares eh!

Bet you'll be hot footing it down there to fall asleep then......be alright as long as he goes on before 12.....just hope he don,t stand behind the decks looking bored to tears,as he did last time l saw him play out

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

No, its just because its being built up as the return of Ian Levine with the 100 club spot and everything. Also other people dont build everything up as "this is the best thing ever, better than so called top dj's are playing" blah, blah, blah Most of the stuff I've heard so far is distinctly average with some absolute tripe in there. If he thinks this kind of stuff is going to cut it at the top level alongside Butch he's sadly mistaken. If he just presented them as "this is music I really like have a listen and see what you think" that would be fine but I suppose thats not in his nature, he knows he going to get a reaction and is probably reading this now. As said before not all nighter music in 2012

Spot on steve........think he said it all right at the beginning when he said..."the sort of music you play in the CAR"....although not mine. tezza

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

can you imagine a tezza promoted nighter everybody would be going home knackered after about 2 hours. :D

ha ha :D ......better than falling asleep after two hours :thumbup:

Social source share

Pity really cos he could have sold himself on NS bearing in mind his 100 club spot.Know its probably not reflective of what he'll play,but.....missed a trick.?

Listened to 15 tracks up to yet.Only 2/3 tracks are near good enough for me.

Kev.(hoping for a podcast of stompers.. :wink: ).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Anybody could do a podcast at any time, if I feel like doing one, I take 20 minutes to choose the records, 90 minutes to record, then about 45 minutes to get it onto the pc and publish it.

If he wanted to do another one it's a piece of p*ss and would only take a couple of hours.

Social source share

Anybody could do a podcast at any time, if I feel like doing one, I take 20 minutes to choose the records, 90 minutes to record, then about 45 minutes to get it onto the pc and publish it.

If he wanted to do another one it's a piece of p*ss and would only take a couple of hours.

I hope he does Pete.Would love to hear his more 60's/early 70's stuff. :thumbsup: (only listened to part of podcast).

Edited by KevH
Social source share

he hoped everyone injoyed it and that it will probabaly get ripped apart on a Soul Site that he is banned from (guessing thats SS) then yeah i think he is looking for feedback wether good or bad,

I actually am surprised, everyone is being pretty honest and reasonable without hatefully attacking him or ripping him apart (which did happen in that other thread).

Social source share

I actually am surprised, everyone is being pretty honest and reasonable without hatefully attacking him or ripping him apart (which did happen in that other thread).

Bob i think the attacking will come after his set at the 100 Club if he dont produce the goods, if he does and he plays a blinder then hopefully credit where it is due and i have a feeling he will have a few up his sleeve for the 100 Club cos imho out of that 3 hour podcast i dont think he could muster an hours set to suit the 100 and the djs normally get 2 sets so if what i hear what Ian was about then he liked to deliver bloody good dance music and the 100 Club clientelle do like a dance, he has more to lose than gain i feel but hey he sounds like a man that revels in a challenge, good luck to him ......

Social source share

Really enjoyed it.

didnt like 3 or 4 but the rest I enjoyed very much.

2 or 3 Id not heard but overall nice to listen to:

One I had not heard Im onto so thanks for that Ian and cheers Pete for putting it up!

Picking 3 out for different reasons:

Chocolate Syrup - Memories of fantastic youthful times at the Mecca.

Connie Stevens - Its what I call " Northern soul" sorry but if your a fan of Joannie Sommers then how you can criticise this is beyond me!

Second Nature - Ive got the other version but had never heard this one! Great version!

Could probably critique all his selections but I picked out those three - other will pick out a different trio.

Wish I could be at the hundred club but have my daughter that weekend & we will be watching the Pool against Sheff weds

Anyhow once again Thanks Pete for putting it up!

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

The one I would be chasing which was bang on target for me was the Hank Soulman Mulan ? He upset your dream. I like its energy and eathyness.

Carms, his last name was Mullen and it came out originally on Audel but was re-issued on Daptone's Ever-Soul. Plenty on the Bay if a re-issue is fine with you (I appreciate it may not be).

Not everone's cuppa I know (it is mine) but the flip is a fabulous deep soul track. He died of heart attack in his mid twenties shortly after it's original release.

https://www.sirshambling.com/artists/hank_mullen/hank_mullen.html

Social source share

Yeah I agree with you.

:hatsoff2: HI ALL This is the sort of record that I remember finding in junk shops, and trying to impres Mick Smith at my discovery way back in the early 70s i remember it got the thumbs down then, mind you did it fit in with the Fuller Bros or the Carstairs? the pictured record is of the UK Bell record, what next Madi Gra "To busy thinking" or the B side of the Fantastics Classic "Something old Something new", I do not jest it's a good tune? so all you car booters out there tucked away on the UK Bell label inbetween the Gary Glitter & Bay City Rollers, there are some really non expensive soul recoards along with re issues Like Bobbi Lynn Earthquake, which is a cheap way of getting the underplayed B side. :g: Dave

Social source share

Bobo I think what comes over to me is his love of soul and I really like the way he values the lower priced records

plenty of people value lower priced records. I do think his enthusiasm for the music comes out, that was one of the things I was saying earlier. I actually think he has a pretty good DJ style too.

Also, I agree with what bearsy is saying that people are more likely to rip into him after his DJ set. Some of the people responsible for the conflict in the previous thread aren't posting here anymore though.

Social source share

The one I would be chasing which was bang on target for me was the Hank Soulman Mulan ? He upset your dream. I like its energy and eathyness.

I just "deleted" this disc from my playbox and filed it back after two years of heavy rotation at the Hip City. Also have a spare in my sales box (again siince two years LOL) pm me if you like ?

Social source share

Ps i know its not stomp stomp northern ohmy.png but its better than some of the funky shite that i heard the few times i ventured out last year rofl.png but thats my opinion again xx

..and there`s been me scratching my head why I havent seen you at the Hip City the last six months LOL seriously though, hope you ar efine steve and hope to catch up soon again mate, atb marc

Social source share

I've listened to about an hour and a half of it so far, thought it was fairly pleasant. I was there the last time he played the 100 and he had the dance floor heaving, I don't know if it'll be an 'I was there moment', only one way to find out I guess, looks like I'll have to put in the effort :thumbsup:

Social source share

I've listened to about an hour and a half of it so far, thought it was fairly pleasant. I was there the last time he played the 100 and he had the dance floor heaving, I don't know if it'll be an 'I was there moment', only one way to find out I guess, looks like I'll have to put in the effort :thumbsup:

Go careful Win or before you know it, you'll be back on the 'Northern Soul Merry Go Round'! - Remember, one ride takes 10 years! lol :rofl:

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Go careful Win or before you know it, you'll be back on the 'Northern Soul Merry Go Round'! - Remember, one ride takes 10 years! lol :rofl:

All the best,

Len.

I'm aware buddy, it's like a disease, but a nice one. Already booked myself in to go to Rugby as well, see you saturday at the bowls club :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!