Who Was Jimmy Church?

• Replies 19
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

He was Atlanta based and was the regular act on a TV series of soul shows in the 60s, I have them on Video, and he appeared every week singing a different song. That's probably him, doing a cover.

I guess you have or know of his 45 releases?

the show in the clip is Night Train. It's really disappointing to watch that show because there are some amazing acts (for example, the avons) but they don't do their own songs, they do covers of hits.

Social source share

Jimmy Church was out of Nashville, started out in The Seniors on Excello along with Bobby Hebb. Then he was in The Hi-Fi's on Montel. Sang with Johnny Otis for a spell in LA. Was also vocalist for the King Casuals' in their Jimi Hendrix era. Later fronted his own revue which also featured Frank Howard & The Commanders among others. He has solo 45s on Hickory, Okeh, SS7, Hermitage, Peachtree etc. The best footage of him is on The Beat DVDs.

Still going & available for bookings on the wedding singer/bar mitsvah circuit in the mid-south.

https://www.thejimmychurchband.com/

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Saw Jimmy live in Utrecht about 10 years ago with Fred James' excellent band - he was in really good shape and he sounded terrific. Glad to read that he's still working, Kris!

Social source share

Jimmy Church was out of Nashville,

I stand corrected....

he actually reminds me a bit of Jackie Wilson to look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5-bxe_yIwU

dig Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Johnny Jones & Billy Cox in the backing band

Yes this is the TV show I have the series of. Sure are some good acts on there and Bob, not all cover versions, from a Chicago perspective I distinctly recall seeing the Radiants and also Mamie Galore singing "It ain't necessary" on one of the episodes. When I get some time I might see if I can get it off of vid and onto a more uptodate format....:ohmy:

Social source share

The Vivid Sound-released "Soul Shack" and "My Faith In You" are great unissued Northern. Screaming raw soul.

"Soul Shack" turned up years later on a Rich records compilation* credited to Rodge Martin & Jimmy Church.

I'm guessing Jimmy's link to The Beat and Night Train TV shows was representation by radio DJ and artist manager Hoss Allen.

*"The Rich Records Story" Blue CD

Social source share

Jimmy Church was out of Nashville, started out in The Seniors on Excello along with Bobby Hebb. Then he was in The Hi-Fi's on Montel. Sang with Johnny Otis for a spell in LA. Was also vocalist for the King Casuals' in their Jimi Hendrix era. Later fronted his own revue which also featured Frank Howard & The Commanders among others. He has solo 45s on Hickory, Okeh, SS7, Hermitage, Peachtree etc. The best footage of him is on The Beat DVDs.

Still going & available for bookings on the wedding singer/bar mitsvah circuit in the mid-south.

As you say Kris, still going strong to this day. I met him about 4 years ago in Nashville, he lives pretty close to downtown. On the road every couple of weeks mainly doing college type gigs. He came over to do one of the Dutch blues festivals a few years back and says he'd love to do the UK.

Social source share

Night Train evolved into The !!! Beat but they are different shows. Night Train is black and white, has this weird sort of staged thing going for every performance where you don't even see the set, and all the songs are covers of other songs.

The !!! Beat is color, has a great 60s looking set, and the artists do their own material. Supposedly the episode with all the chicago people (radiants, mamie galore, etc.) came from a big tour that was passing through town and they got scheduled on the show.

Social source share

Recorded "Right on time" on Southern Records then re-released on SS7.

Social source share

I stand corrected....

Yes this is the TV show I have the series of. Sure are some good acts on there and Bob, not all cover versions, from a Chicago perspective I distinctly recall seeing the Radiants and also Mamie Galore singing "It ain't necessary" on one of the episodes. When I get some time I might see if I can get it off of vid and onto a more uptodate format.... :ohmy:

Steve - released on dvd box set by Bear family Records in super quality a few years ago

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert