What Do You Class As Cross Over Soul?

Guest seanbailey1983

Guest seanbailey1983

Just wanted to gather peoples thoughts/personal definitions/opinions on what they consider cross over soul?

Include tracks and atrists too if possible?

Thanks

Social source share

Sorry - welcome to SS.

Best Russ

No you are right though, someone put a link up to the last 5 or 6 debates we've had on this subject, the last one was only 3 weeks ago, this will only end up with the same people saying the same things, sorry Sean but this debate always ends in tears and angst! When you read the other debates you'll see what I mean.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

He's a new member so can be shown a little mercy I think. Crossover is many things to many people. I still struggle with what it is and I've been into soul music two thirds of my life!

Welcome to Soul Source :thumbsup:

What?..........since you were 11 :D

Social source share

Its soul music, real soul music for thinkers and people with inner feelings....

Not for some of the dead ears and " uptempo terrorists " :shhh:

Only joking :lol:

It means different things to many folk and like so many other topics, one mans rice pudding is another mans dog shit...

All eggs in one basket..

Its soul or nothing...

Social source share

Cheers all

Thanks for the link - should give me enough info

Didn't realise it had been debated over and over!

There are about 4 or 5 topics that get continually discussed time and time again and in between them we get a few interesting threads.

Social source share

There are about 4 or 5 topics that get continually discussed time and time again and in between them we get a few interesting threads.

nah, dont agree

loads of decent threads all the time on here

the trick is that you start threads about things you wanna talk about

try it

Social source share

Goodness me , this is a difficult question , we tie ourselves up so many times trying to catagorise soul it gets very confusing , for me its better to describe what it isn't and I could be wrong because my opinion is not gospel , its just my take on it .

Its not northern , its not fast , its not girly like the saphires for example , its not modern , its not detroit sounding . I think it can lean to southern sounding ,its mellow and its fresh , not the norm its anything that is unusual "out of the box" .

I have found Nev a good source of education in the CD's he did for me.

My fave sounds are

Top tune for me is Daniel Madison - It don't matter baby

Rare Gems Odessy - It don't take much , absulute maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaajic , and cheap

Clay Brown .......anything by him

Clinton Parks - Masterplan

Irene Scott - Everyday worries

Cornell Guntor - In my heart

Social source share

nah, dont agree

loads of decent threads all the time on here

the trick is that you start threads about things you wanna talk about

try it

well this part is definitely true: "There are about 4 or 5 topics that get continually discussed time and time again"

Social source share

well this part is definitely true: "There are about 4 or 5 topics that get continually discussed time and time again"

I would disagree with "continually"

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forum/1-all-about-the-soul/

sure have ones like dislikes etc that hang around for a while

but on other hand when was the last boot related one ?

end of day its you out there make it what it is

if you feel that could do with some new topics then why not start some ?

Social source share

end of day its you out there make it what it is

if you feel that could do with some new topics then why not start some ?

I'm not bitching about the lack of topics, I was just pointing out that certain topics have been created many times and continue to be created. i do create topics. anyways, i've said enough on this. thanks for dealing with this site, i know it must be annoying when people complain after you put so much time and energy into the site. thanks a lot.

Social source share

I'm not bitching about the lack of topics, I was just pointing out that certain topics have been created many times and continue to be created. i do create topics. anyways, i've said enough on this. thanks for dealing with this site, i know it must be annoying when people complain after you put so much time and energy into the site. thanks a lot.

and im not bitching about anyone bitching

just trying to get a general point across to all members that they can influence what gets talked about on here

thats all

Social source share

and im not bitching about anyone bitching

just trying to get a general point across to all members that they can influence what gets talked about on here

thats all

I do enjoy the site and continue to read and comment in threads but there are a few topics that I ignore now as they are done to death.

I'm sure I must've started a few threads I(hopefully interesting to some) in my time on here and have enjoyed the deep soul swaps and taken part in a least 4 of the recent ones.

Social source share

I do enjoy the site and continue to read and comment in threads but there are a few topics that I ignore now as they are done to death.

I'm sure I must've started a few threads I(hopefully interesting to some) in my time on here and have enjoyed the deep soul swaps and taken part in a least 4 of the recent ones.

yep put my hands up, my earlier post was a bit off

guess just being a bit too defensive today on site stuff

apoligies

Social source share

Alongside of giving examples which is a hep to me,cos I ain't got a clue what "crossover"'is could some one define the term crossover?

This is a genuine quest for knowledge not a piss take

If you do a word search in the forum, you will probably find other threads on the subject and realise there is a bit of a debate on the definition. For me, it means a crossing over of styles (soul meets another) and most likely to be a late 60s to early 70s track. But I am sure others will disagree on that and whether a named song even falls into the category. One person's "crossover" can be another person's "70's modern" or just "disco funk" - and I've even heard what I'd simply call "60s soul", described as crossover. One thing's for sure IMHO, depending on where you're personally at with your soul tastes and recording years, seems to influence opinion.

Also, various "crossover" (aka "xover") compilations were put out which may help you gain your own understanding- google the Kent and Goldmine LP's/CD catalogues and look for these, for a start. Also, the audio section would likely have crossover forum threads running where people nominate their tunes (and you can listen via youtube links or refosoul I'm assuming).

These forums can be a bit of a bitch at times, so hope the above helps in your quest.

m

Edited by Maria O
Social source share

Guest Perception

Just wanted to gather peoples thoughts/personal definitions/opinions on what they consider cross over soul?

Crossover is a record that can fit into a Northern Soul DJ set or a (so called) Modern Soul DJ set.

Social source share

Alongside of giving examples which is a hep to me,cos I ain't got a clue what "crossover"'is could some one define the term crossover?

This is a genuine quest for knowledge not a piss take

60s soul has a definite style to it, 70s soul also has a definite style to it - the two are completely different and fairly easy to identify one from the other.

Records from say 68-72 can have elements of both decades in them and are less easy to define.

In general thats all there is to it really, I dont know why people have to complicate thing with loads of different theories as to what crossover is

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!