Soulsource Record Club Record Of The Day 2012

dthedrug

:hatsoff2: Hi All I think it.s time for me to start putting a few forgotten oldies and obscure B sides that I have enjoyed for the past 35 years but maybe unknown to some of you, and I think they deserve a play, now and again, Years ago, when it was common to describe our music in the terms of SOUL.MOTOWN RARE SOUL, R&B. and also as STAX, ATLANTIC ^ CHESS It is the latter label that my record from my box, comes from. Chess records are still loved today as much as they were loved by the forefathers of the soul scene the MODS, many of the really rare stuff from the USA CHESS GROUP of LABELS never got a UK release, but some fine records did come out on PYE INTERNATIONAL & the UK CHESS LABEL,

The record I have picked today, is a B side inst, by one of black African American musicians, a man whose talent plating the 88's is known world wide, but for the majority of the UK soul lovers, I think they would struggle to name 5 of his records? and I have picked a B side for you?

The artists name is Ramsey Lewis, my pick is one of his best, Title:- CHINA GATE Label UK CHESS CRS8040 B, RELEASED IN 1967 Value£20

I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS I DO, :wink: DAVE

post-13241-0-61658200-1326588271_thumb.j https://youtu.be/leGc-d0jGR0

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All I think it.s time for me to start putting a few forgotten oldies and obscure B sides that I have enjoyed for the past 35 years but maybe unknown to some of you, and I think they deserve a play, now and again, Years ago, when it was common to describe our music in the terms of SOUL.MOTOWN RARE SOUL, R&B. and also as STAX, ATLANTIC ^ CHESS It is the latter label that my record from my box, comes from. Chess records are still loved today as much as they were loved by the forefathers of the soul scene the MODS, many of the really rare stuff from the USA CHESS GROUP of LABELS never got a UK release, but some fine records did come out on PYE INTERNATIONAL & the UK CHESS LABEL,

The record I have picked today, is a B side inst, by one of black African American musicians, a man whose talent plating the 88's is known world wide, but for the majority of the UK soul lovers, I think they would struggle to name 5 of his records? and I have picked a B side for you?

The artists name is Ramsey Lewis, my pick is one of his best, Title:- CHINA GATE Label UK CHESS CRS8040 B, RELEASED IN 1967 Value£20

I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS I DO, :wink: DAVE

Always liked "China Gate" Dave, used to think the other side "Saturday Night After The Movies" was a stonkin' Northern Inst!

great pick mate

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Always liked "China Gate" Dave, used to think the other side "Saturday Night After The Movies" was a stonkin' Northern Inst!

great pick mate

steve

:hatsoff2: HI STEVE & CHEERS, you are dead right with the A side, I chose China Gate, for 2 reasons over the A side #1 it is a record that on the first time of hearing it, you get instantly taken to old CHINA TOWN, along with all the trimmings of an old black white Hollywood B rated movie coolie's Sampans junks & rickshaws (I had a mate called Rich Shaw) it's a classic hook for any one who likes good music,

#2 the A side is more of a stomper as you say, and I was looking just a bit more deeper with the B side.

How does it go "Saturday night after the movies" "we are going to the TWISTED WHEEL" Great club sounds on 1 record, just maybe worth a bit more than my estimate of £20 for the DEMO, :rofl: DAVE

post-13241-0-90871800-1326623933_thumb.j SORRY NO SOUND CLIP

Social source share

This afternoon's offering: Look past the daft graphics and you see a man who is my #1 wish to see live! A great catalogue of songs, a great musician and a top bloke to boot. Imagine him at Prestatyn with the full band! Alas it wasn't to be.

Regards,

Dave

Alas indeed Dave, I love anything this man ever did! and "That's What You Do To Me" is one of (many) fav. double siders by the great man. just thought I'd stick the flip up too mate :thumbsup:

haunting and awesome, with Mike Terry's arrangement all over it.

Deon Jackson "I Can't Do Without You"

steve

https://youtu.be/O_BLbF1AU9Q

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bit of Motown from me today and lesser play one too.According to one of the comments that went with this on You Tube it's Gladys & The Pips on backing vocals........no wonder is sounds brilliant.

David Ruffin-I Pray Everyday You Won't Regret Loving Me Motown

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Still love this and i never knew there was an RCA demo of it

must look out for one

Edited by allnightandy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Wow!!!! I ve been away too long, ive not posted on here for a few weeks and i got to say what a collection of gems. I`m breaking the mold a little here with a stonkin 70`s dancer album only track..... Unless someone can tell me different. Just got the album anyway & i can tstop playin it, got to be my favorite 70`s track at the moment. Just love the way they use the Jr Walker classic "what does it take" but put a totally different groove on it!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

HI ALL THIS IS A CLASSIC FROM OUT OF MY, A US RECORD FROM ME TO-DAY NOT SURE! BUT I THINK IT WAS A BLACKPOOL MECCA SOUND, IT'S IN MY TIP-TOP 500 NORTHERN SOUL US LIST?

LEE ROGERS "MY ONE AND ONLY!- D-TOWN 1062 VALUE O DUNNO HOW MANY £'S AS THE LABEL USED TO BE EASY TO FIND, A BIT LIKE RIC-TIC HOWEVER IT'S A GOOD UN! CHEERS DAVE

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This mornings offering: Landed this morni9ng from one of the Pinch Brothers. Great upbeat 70s. ALMOST disco but just pulls back from the precipice! :lol:

Puts much of the giddy price tag stuff to shame.

Regards,

Dave

Haaa,Mecca in its disco heyday.. :yes: .

Time to get dirrrtyyyy........

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

BACK ON LINE WITH A SUPER FAST QUAD CORE COMPUTER AT LAST,

JUST GOT TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO WORK IT NOW,

FIRST FROM ME THIS YEAR VAN McCOY MAGIC

post-2477-0-15007900-1326921609_thumb.jp

Same here after i work out how to spell it !
Social source share

Always been over shadowed by "You Can't Go" which is a pity as when I've heard it out it's always sounded great.

Lonnie Lester & Chuck Danzy-Ain't That A Shame Nu-Tone

Cheers

Martyn

Can't argue with that, class choice Martyn!

Social source share

Passsionettes - My Fault

Love this, and it seems to be pretty forgotten about these days, I guess uptempo girly dancers aren't the fashion at the moment!

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL This is a great one to have, I am not sure if it still gets a spin, it should do? most records on this label BLUE ROCK are quite easy to get hold of, however out of the few BLUE ROCK records I still have, this is a bit harder.

CYNTHIA & the IMAGINATIONS - HEY BOY (I LOVE YOU) - BLUE ROCK B04074 VALUE £80+ may be more I am not 100% sure? :g: DAVE

This is my copy, :lol:post-13241-0-21761800-1327034703_thumb.j

https://youtu.be/a1K5IoXQ9Us

• Helpful 1
Social source share