What Has Northern Soul Ever Taught You ?

Guest Polyvelts

Guest Polyvelts

Although I just love enjoying listening to soul records It's taught me one or two valuable life lessons as well !

Here's a few Things I've learnt over the years from listening to Soul records :

You are definately going to miss your water when your well runs dry

Misery loves company

Beware of doors that hit your back

Certain females are liable to get your nose open

The highest negotiable currency in relationships is 'diamonds and pearls'

Under no circumstances ever trust any man called 'Jody' !

Anyone else learnt anything useful ?

Social source share

Back too original post, Northern Soul taught me,....... when I lost interest & got into 'indie' very late 70's, not to give a box full of originals to your older brother & not even be arsed about what happened to them (god they were all gems).

Don't touch barbiturates, from witnessing close friends die & in not such worse case, ruin there lives.

To feel the love of beautiful people, for that I"m eternally thankful

Aid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Jody turns up in quite a few songs, it was a nickname in the US for folklore character who steals men's girls.

I always though it might have been another name for squaddies, after the Jody calls of American troops.

This is from Wikipedia:

The name derives from a stock character in African-American oral traditions, "Joe the Grinder,"[6] who is also prominent in Merle Haggard's song "The Old Man of the Mountain."[7] The character's name has been transcribed as "Joady," "Jody," "Jodie," "Joe D.", or even "Joe the ____" (in dialect, "Joe de ____") with Joe then identified by occupation. He was a stock anti-hero who maliciously took advantage of another man's absence. Enlisted African-American soldiers incorporated this character into cadence songs during the Second World War.

Social source share

Jody turns up in quite a few songs, it was a nickname in the US for folklore character who steals men's girls.

I always though it might have been another name for squaddies, after the Jody calls of American troops.

This is from Wikipedia:

The name derives from a stock character in African-American oral traditions, "Joe the Grinder,"[6] who is also prominent in Merle Haggard's song "The Old Man of the Mountain."[7] The character's name has been transcribed as "Joady," "Jody," "Jodie," "Joe D.", or even "Joe the ____" (in dialect, "Joe de ____") with Joe then identified by occupation. He was a stock anti-hero who maliciously took advantage of another man's absence. Enlisted African-American soldiers incorporated this character into cadence songs during the Second World War.

See? Something else that Northern Soul has taught me after some 40+ years in! Sometimes it just be's that way........ :lol:

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

From Mr Porter and Mrs Freeman when times get bad KEEP ON KEEPING ON and just try to HOLD ON.

From The Forevers WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

and finally from Mrs Legend TIME WILL PASS YOU RIGHT ON BY

Love the forevers , great tune !

Also you gotta remember that what goes up - must come down, courtesy Mr Tyrone Davis.

Social source share

See? Something else that Northern Soul has taught me after some 40+ years in! Sometimes it just be's that way........ :lol:

yeah i wondered about that too..so, working alongside a black woman from Knoxville later Atlanta..i asked her..she confirmed it was a black slang thing for a guy who steals your girl..
Social source share

This is from Wikipedia:

Wow! My boss is called Jody, we call him Mr Tickle, as when he's had a drink his hands wander.

He's now married, but I reckon the above description is still apt for him :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I like the Vietnam references. Can only think of one though at the minute,

'couldn't have been no brother, brother's in Vietnam...'

Learnt from that song that: Somebody run outta my back door... :glare:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest ritchie

Yeah, what the hell was with those Jody records? What's the history of the Jody connection? It started with Johnnie Taylor didn't it.....?

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Not to stay out all night

Not to take drugs , and

don't talk to strangers :D

And "It will never be over for me" !

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

yeah i wondered about that too..so, working alongside a black woman from Knoxville later Atlanta..i asked her..she confirmed it was a black slang thing for a guy who steals your girl..

I'm using this as an excuse to post the most mindblowing version of a song with that title:

It's Freda Harris' cover of Joe Simon. I don't really like deep soul but I can't stop listening to this song, it's so great, maybe it's the blues guitar or something.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I dont need no woman to help me starve to death I can do that all by myself :thumbup:

Great 80's soul from Jesse James ...................... :thumbsup:

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Anyone else learnt anything useful ?

Yes -

that a man who can promise a women....................... "jewels that light up a room, fur's on her back and a castle by the sea"..............is fuller more shit than me.............and a lot richer !!!!!! :D .

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I dont need no woman to help me starve to death I can do that all by myself :thumbup:

"I don't need no woman to help me starve to death , Can you dig it" ? Williams and Watson Too Late :D
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!