El Corals - Chick Chick

Guest Bearsy

i just noticed that a copy of this sold on Ebay earlier, it was on the Tiny, label and not Rouser, anyone have any info on the different labels releases ??

many thanks

Bearsy

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

i just noticed that a copy of this sold on Ebay earlier, it was on the Tiny, label and not Rouser, anyone have any info on the different labels releases ??

many thanks

Bearsy

FWIW, I won the copy on eBay today. It's the first release. The record was a local hit and was rereleased on Rouser, probably a few months later. Beyond that, I don't know. Both sides of the Rouser have the intros cut, but otherwise they are the same. In the case of Chick Chick, I prefer the longer intro. I haven't made up my mind about Angel. I already have the Rouser release, the label with the devil head is way cooler than the generic Tiny label so I'll probably keep it. When I get the 45 I will compare the mastering. The Tiny label is probably 10x rarer than the Rouser. I've only known about this record for 5 years but this is cleanest Tiny copy of the three or so I've seen for sale.

Edited by George G
Social source share

FWIW, I won the copy on eBay today. It's the first release. The record was a local hit and was rereleased on Rouser, probably a few months later. Beyond that, I don't know. Both sides of the Rouser have the intros cut, but otherwise they are the same. In the case of Chick Chick, I prefer the longer intro. I haven't made up my mind about Angel. I already have the Rouser release, the label with the devil head is way cooler than the generic Tiny label so I'll probably keep it. When I get the 45 I will compare the mastering. The Tiny label is probably 10x rarer than the Rouser. I've only known about this record for 5 years but this is cleanest Tiny copy of the three or so I've seen for sale.

nice one George i was thinking of bidding on it myself but funds put paid to that idea, i like the longer intro too so would be greatful if you can let us know what the mastering comes up like :thumbsup:

Social source share

George: please stop outbidding me. Thank you.

... actually in this case my bid didn't even go through because some other people had already bid higher. if you know those other people, please also tell them to stop outbidding me.

Social source share

George: please stop outbidding me. Thank you.

... actually in this case my bid didn't even go through because some other people had already bid higher. if you know those other people, please also tell them to stop outbidding me.

Went for a cheap price imho ...up your bids you tight git Bob :P

P.s George...tehre are 6 copies on popsike ,3 of each label ,and there are a few on here who all have the Tiny copy ,so not sure on rarity ??

Edited by NEV
Social source share

re-cycled trivia

andy rix once passed on something about frankie beverlys uncle being a member of the el's

roburt

apoligies but just throw in a quick pimp site features

dunno if you had a look at the gallery recently

but if you do have worthwhile images

it may be a ideal place to share them, plus in future if you use the "my media" tag you can quickly insert them in future posts :thumbsup:

Social source share

re-cycled trivia

andy rix once passed on something about frankie beverlys uncle being a member of the el's

I'm pretty sure Joe Quarterman was a member.

I didn't bid more victoriously because it's not exactly my sound but I want to collect it. When I bid high and george bid high it sucks though, has happened a few times.

Social source share

Bobby Allen who played trumpet on the Shrine sessions was a member of the El Corals

I obviously asked him about Frank Beverly on Rouser thinking he might be able to throw some light on the connection .. he said that Frank's uncle was a member of the El Corals which might explain how Mr Rouser hooked up with Frank .. all assumption but could make sense

Andy

Social source share

Whats the going rate for this? Seems to be getting some attention as of late. I played it at Burnley and it went down a storm. One of the collectors there spoke to me on the way out and said it took him 10 years to track down his copy, I then automatically assumed it was a pretty hard but it seems a few copies have popped up as of late? Great tune!

I love the 'Rouser' Devil label design, it must be the Red Devil in me :wicked:

Callum

Social source share

Is this the record that has the mad chorus, repeating Chick Chick or something like that??

If so Pete Lawson was always trying to push this back in Stafford days, or maybe just later, it has a good other side if I remember rightly but can't imagine the chick chick side working, shows what I know nowadays.

Is there a soundfile anywhere out there, couldn't find it on You Tube but the search wasn't exactly specific to music!!

Social source share

Is this the record that has the mad chorus, repeating Chick Chick or something like that??

If so Pete Lawson was always trying to push this back in Stafford days, or maybe just later, it has a good other side if I remember rightly but can't imagine the chick chick side working, shows what I know nowadays.

Is there a soundfile anywhere out there, couldn't find it on You Tube but the search wasn't exactly specific to music!!

It goes like this Jocko

"Chick, Chick, Chicken Lay A Little Egg For Me

Dave

Social source share

It goes like this Jocko

"Chick, Chick, Chicken Lay A Little Egg For Me

Dave

To be honest, you are just waiting on that line coming out! You have better taste than this one David surely. Anyway, get yourself over to the Wants thread, sure you will have some of those LP's I am after just lying around gathering dust.

No new SJ product for me to buy in near future?

(Dunno why it's popped up twice!!)

Thanks for that mate, it is the one I remember, although not as bad as I thought it was and certainly not as unplayabe as I remember it, however the chorus totally kills it for me personally. This has been around since mid 80's but didn't really take off then despite Pete's pushing.

Is the other side not quite good or is that another dementia led rose tinted glasses memory?

Definitely one for the tempo terrorists though......

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Hi Jocko ....the reason why its a struggle to find on youtube is the spelling is actually EL COROLS not CORALS :yes:

Tip top Nev, and yes that is much more my sort of sound, both then and now. Probably missing that little bit to give it enough oomph for playing out, but a much better side.

Ta very much all, now I have some housework to do so need to stop mucking about here with you retrobates, although do expect all my wants to be fulfilled on my return...

Social source share

To be honest, you are just waiting on that line coming out! You have better taste than this one David surely. Anyway, get yourself over to the Wants thread, sure you will have some of those LP's I am after just lying around gathering dust.

No new SJ product for me to buy in near future?

Thanks for that mate, it is the one I remember, although not as bad as I thought it was and certainly not as unplayabe as I remember it, however the chorus totally kills it for me personally. This has been around since mid 80's but didn't really take off then despite Pete's pushing.

Is the other side not quite good or is that another dementia led rose tinted glasses memory?

Definitely one for the tempo terrorists though......

The reason it didn't take off in the mid 80's is because this is rubbish compared to some of the stuff that was being discovered back then. As stuff started to dry up this was bound to have its day. Agree with you the chorus just kills it.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Well "chick chick" certainly is a good dancer put in a going out all night, up beat set.....the b-side ummm, probably a prime example of why some venue are going down tha pan ....if this is the type of stuff being played all night.......defo leather sofa soul...til about 12.30 lol...........happy new year and DO try and stay awake......Tezzarist

Social source share

Whats the going rate for this? Seems to be getting some attention as of late. I played it at Burnley and it went down a storm. One of the collectors there spoke to me on the way out and said it took him 10 years to track down his copy, I then automatically assumed it was a pretty hard but it seems a few copies have popped up as of late? Great tune!

I love the 'Rouser' Devil label design, it must be the Red Devil in me :wicked:

Callum

It sounded awsome too Callum as it was the first time i had heard it played loud on a quality sound system and as it had a different intro to the one i had heard before thats why i came up to you and asked about it,

now i know what the other intro tune is on the TINY label i feel my work and knowledge gathering is done here now :yes:

thanks everyone :hatsoff2:

Jocko you need to get out more and leave the housework to the women :thumbup:

Tezza you bang on Chick Chick top tune indeed and defo nt a leather sofa soul tune :D

Social source share

The reason it didn't take off in the mid 80's is because this is rubbish compared to some of the stuff that was being discovered back then. As stuff started to dry up this was bound to have its day. Agree with you the chorus just kills it.

kids now use "kills it" for when someting is realy good. :D

my memories of "chick chick" getting played are from the dome in London.

Social source share

Ok I'm showing my age :lol: The chorus kills it dead for me, really spoils it....I remember it from the Dome too but it was around long before then. Still think it was just a case of Dj's slowly running out of ideas for something fresh, every tune has its day eventually.

Social source share

Well "chick chick" certainly is a good dancer put in a going out all night, up beat set.....the b-side ummm, probably a prime example of why some venue are going down tha pan ....if this is the type of stuff being played all night.......defo leather sofa soul...til about 12.30 lol...........happy new year and DO try and stay awake......Tezzarist

Ahh Mrs Stopcock, I thought my tempo terrorist jibe would have you swooping swiftly from your roost to keyboard.

Problem is if you go for danceability only, we end up back in the bad old days of soul content being of a secondary concern. I don't think either side of the 45 has strong enough vocals to interest me, and the novelty value of this chorus makes it more Black Lace than Black Power for me, so for that reason I am out,

I would off course argue is its surely easier to play a spot with all uptempo stuff, particularly in current day crowds, hence things like this becoming popular, than actually mix it up with something of similar tempo of the b-side (but a better record) of this and have no impact on all nighter. Lots of DJ's used to be able to do it, DJ's that can't be arsed now coincidentally, and lots more people seemed to go to progressive all nighters then than do now.

Obviously there are two sides to every theory.

Jocko you need to get out more and leave the housework to the women :thumbup:

Can't disagree with that young man, its easier for me to blame the music though than admit that I am old and apathetic, and just a miserable bas**rd :D

I don't think it's just kids now, on the Marvin Gaye unreleased CD, I think on his version of Its Not Unusual, he says he is going to kill it. So possibly a Black American saying from back in the day? Bob over to you to educate us as usual.

Social source share

It's funny, I just got the el corols on rouser in a trade 2 days ago. I never heard the other side before (which is marked the a-side). While I agree with jocko that overall both sides are weak, the a-side is more of a real song and more listenable. It's also uptempo, I don't understand why people don't play that side... probably because chick chick is more danceable or for historical reasons. Also, compared to the tiny release I think it's very different, I think the second label pressing exists probably to release a different version of the a-side and not a slightly edited version of chick chick.

Anyways, to each his own, but personally I would never play the chick chick side but think the other side is okay enough to play on my radio show at least.

re: marvin gaye, I just listened to "not unsual" in this youtube video:

I missed the part where he says he's going to kill it, can you give me the time. What's funny though is in the comments someone says that marvin "killed it" which is the original usage posted by dylan.

Social source share

Strangely don't remember this one from the Dome - we are talking Greg/Flynny era I presume? Certainly the type of sound which would have been played there. I think it's great stuff myself.

Social source share

re: marvin gaye, I just listened to "not unsual" in this youtube video:

I missed the part where he says he's going to kill it, can you give me the time. What's funny though is in the comments someone says that marvin "killed it" which is the original usage posted by dylan.

If you listen right at the start he says roll the tape I'm Going To Kill it, sadly don't have the CD but pretty sure this is direct lift, Rob Marriot used to play this very occassionaly along with Marvin's great version of Sweet Thing. Now would I rather dance to this or Cluck Cluck!

Tangent but if anyone has a spare of this CD I am your man!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Ahh Mrs Stopcock, I thought my tempo terrorist jibe would have you swooping swiftly from your roost to keyboard.

Problem is if you go for danceability only, we end up back in the bad old days of soul content being of a secondary concern. I don't think either side of the 45 has strong enough vocals to interest me, and the novelty value of this chorus makes it more Black Lace than Black Power for me, so for that reason I am out,

I would off course argue is its surely easier to play a spot with all uptempo stuff, particularly in current day crowds, hence things like this becoming popular, than actually mix it up with something of similar tempo of the b-side (but a better record) of this and have no impact on all nighter. Lots of DJ's used to be able to do it, DJ's that can't be arsed now coincidentally, and lots more people seemed to go to progressive all nighters then than do now.

Obviously there are two sides to every theory.

Yep an obvious slant on things from you..........firstly it ain,t easy at all to play fresh mid/uptempo mixing old and new without being boring.......but it can and regularly does happen...........you only have to look at the wilton to see what happens when the emphasise is on mid/crossover policy.........people go out for an upbeat night.......not to hear sofa soul just because one might like a more down beat kinda tune many fool themselves into believing it,s for playing out well it ain,t....however good it may be, it belongs at home or in the car.....that is the crux of my comment ...it,s a matter of horses for coarses,once you get your head around that you're halfway there........those that don,t watch ya attendances t

Social source share

Strange how we've gone from a question about a two sided 45 ,to the failings of the Wilton being down to mid tempo music ??

Peggy you must be on some serious gear if you can't dance at the Wilton !

On the odd occasion I've been , Andy Dyson , Ted Massey , Arthur Fenn ,Soul sam et al are playing uptempo soul music , granted a few mid-tempo get played by some dj's , but not whole sets .

Statements like that are negative ,very damaging and unfair to the promotors .

Your a hard man to please IMHO .. Maybe your on the wrong scene ?possibly missed your turn in the road and should have went to Ibiza with the trance , dance nation .

Next time im at a nighter , I'll look out for the guy in the high viz , blowing a whistle and waving his white gloved hands like a crazed windmill ;)

Social source share

Yep an obvious slant on things from you..........firstly it ain,t easy at all to play fresh mid/uptempo mixing old and new without being boring.......but it can and regularly does happen...........you only have to look at the wilton to see what happens when the emphasise is on mid/crossover policy.........people go out for an upbeat night.......not to hear sofa soul just because one might like a more down beat kinda tune many fool themselves into believing it,s for playing out well it ain,t....however good it may be, it belongs at home or in the car.....that is the crux of my comment ...it,s a matter of horses for coarses,once you get your head around that you're halfway there........those that don,t watch ya attendances t

Cmon Mrs Mitchell you have been listening to too much gossip in the Vic and letting it cloud your judgement I am afraid. You seem obsessed with crossover, have you been abused by it in the past? Because crossover and beyond (actually more likely to be Y2K soul and house today if we want to be totally accurate) is my tool of choice when on the wheels of steel that doesn't automatically mean I want to hear that at an allnighter, or would dream of playing it an allnighter that I would go to. For nigh on 30 years I have gone to non Northern venues as well as Northern, and have chosen them based on their ability to play the sort of soul music I want to hear that night.

For crossover etc I know where to go, normally soul nights or day time venues, and they satisfy my needs, along with 000's of others. When I go to allnighters I want to hear good all nighter music, so we agree on this, the difference is its not tempo that dictates a good all nighter record for me, its that undefinable oomph that some records have. Butch gets it, Guy and Keb did when they dj'd as do many other DJ's that no longer DJ or DJ only intermittently. It shouldn't be about tempo but about quality for me. And I never said playing a good uptempo set was easy, just easier than playing a more varied tempo set without impacting on the feel of all nighter, which I think we actually agree on too if you think about. Focusing only on tempo always means the line between good and bad gets crossed more than it should, which to be fair history tends to validate!.

Why does it have to be either Crossover or Up Tempo (I am ignoring you slipping in the mid there, too late to turn back now), there is a whole lot of soul music ( and a few barely soul records but that still work) in between crossover and crass stompers that are great to dance to, and thankfully for me that's always been the case when I have been around, sadly I suspect most of today's crowd are too impatient for any subtleties, and too many dj's to scared to take a hit now and then. And to keep on topic if this is typical of todays stormers its not good enough for me, just differing times and differing priorities I suppose, and for that reason, again I, and to be fair lots more like me, are out.

I have only been to the Wilton once in last couple of years so not fair for me comment, I don't think you are alone in your thoughts around that, but agree with Nev etc not really best place or best way to present constructive criticism the guys have asked for though

Social source share

Strangely don't remember this one from the Dome - we are talking Greg/Flynny era I presume? Certainly the type of sound which would have been played there. I think it's great stuff myself.

Yes that era, it was also included on one of the anniversary tapes. I think the 2nd anniversary ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert