Brainstorm 10 Inch Acetate - Loving Is Really My Game

Mark Jones

Just bought this Northern and disco classic on ebay in what I thought was an interesting format, 10" 45rpm RCA acetate.

Never really been an acetate collector but spotted this listed as a funk 10 inch record so thought it worth a punt just for the novelty factor as much as anything.

Just wondered what you could tell me about the 10 inch format and why it appears quite a few acetates were cut in this size,

Also any particular value to these...probably paid what it's worth I reckon $31, as it's not an expensive tune of course.

post-397-0-69512700-1325021789_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Nick Harrison

Its a british RCA 10 inch acetate with a running speed of 45 rpm, just like the Brimstone Ingram british RCA/Grapevine acetate I once owned. Which was released on 12 " Grapevine REDC1 promo in 1978 which sold very poor. Not like the later Leo Sunship also on a collectorable british 12" red pressing.

Hasn't Pete Smith currently/recently had a copy for sale of the Brainstorm on a red 12" Promo only( Grapevine RCA) in the November sale's section 2011. Along with the Leo's Sunship.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Bought it off a guy in Ohio so doubt it's British?

https://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

He had quite a few other acetates too.

It just seem's rather strange that Brainstorm recorded on the Tabu label (CBS records) in the USA, which included Loving Is Really My Game and a few other titles. Then one would associate this RCA acetate with Grapevine, as having a very British connection perhaps.........but hey ho. :g: .

Social source share

It just seem's rather strange that Brainstorm recorded on the Tabu label (CBS records) in the USA, which included Loving Is Really My Game and a few other titles. Then one would associate this RCA acetate with Grapevine, as having a very British connection perhaps.........but hey ho. :g: .

RCA UK had the UK rights for Brainstorm originally. I've got "Wake Up And Be Somebody" on a UK RCA 7". Whilst "Loving Is Really My Game" never came out on UK RCA it did eventually came out on UK Miracle I believe..........

Ian D :D

Social source share

When you look at the scan on Ebay, there's a matrix no. right above the song title. The number is the same as on the US Tabu release so I'd guess it's an US acetate.

post-397-0-20427400-1325268541_thumb.jpg

Spot on Benji....well spotted...far more observant than me for sure!!

Also the Tabu RCA/CBS issue might be explained on the discogs site:

"Tabu was initially distributed by RCA then within three years switched distribution to CBS Records, where it remained well after the label became Sony Music Entertainment"

Appreciate all the input guys...and as Dave Pinch said nice bit of history to own...not sure where I'm gonna keep a 10 inch record though...don't fit in any of my boxes!

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

post-397-0-20427400-1325268541_thumb.jpg

Spot on Benji....well spotted...far more observant than me for sure!!

Also the Tabu RCA/CBS issue might be explained on the discogs site:

"Tabu was initially distributed by RCA then within three years switched distribution to CBS Records, where it remained well after the label became Sony Music Entertainment"

Appreciate all the input guys...and as Dave Pinch said nice bit of history to own...not sure where I'm gonna keep a 10 inch record though...don't fit in any of my boxes!

You outbid me you git :lol: as this is the only Format I didnt have it on!

If you get fed up with it sell it to me pretty Please

Social source share

Arrived yesterday...plays perfect...no difference at all to TABU label version unfortunately for me.....on the 10 inch front...oooh matron....The first 3 inches on the vinyl are totally blank.......there is a groove from 10 inch run in but just takes you in to the the cue area at 7 inch point...i.e the "cue" area is in exactly same place as it is on 7 inch vinyl!

So just like the 7 inch with 3 blank inches glued on!

B side of 10 inch acetate totally blank!

Interesting but may just dissapear into a dust gathering box like most of my records? lol

I don't generally sell records...probably only sold 10 records in 30 years but if this acetate matters to you let me know!

Mark

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert