Millions Of Records Causing A Fire Hazard

I had to remove my record collection from my flat in L.A. because the owner claimed his insurance company said it was a fire hazard, and threatened to withdraw their insurance policy to the whole 90-unit apartment complex, if I didn't remove them. I moved out within a month.

Social source share

Bet there's quite a few long time UK collectors on here with massive massive collections whoes homes must be some sort of fire risk going by this news report.

It would be interesting to know how US home fire regulations compare with the UK's though.

Never noticed any sort of clauses regarding possible fire risks on my Home Buildings and Contents Insurance which is renewed annually. If I think on I'll have a look.

That's not saying that my collection is that massive in the first place hahaha.

derek

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi there for what it's worth I have to say that that this is an over reaction by the fire department , I have worked in the recycling industry all my life dealing with plastics , cardboard , paper ect .I'm telling you all if most of those records are vinyl and not styrene there is little or no risk they could smoulder if an excellerant was used but you'd need a lot of petrol and even then they wouldn't burn .I spoke to a distributor I use in the U.K about the fire at Sony's wharehouse during the summer riots the fire was very intence as we all saw on the news however this was the polycarbonate C.D.s and if there were games this would have ment polypropylene packaging mixed with wooden pallets and shrink wrap.I think a good compramise could be if the building was removed of any rubbish , the records were stacked with a flame retardant covering and the place totaly sealed up to prevent arsonists ect ( who after seeing the clip on the news will by now be filling the petrol cans up and buying new film for thier cameras ) personly what I'd do is offer everything that wasn't rare at say a couple of dollars and cop the cash then if I owned the building flog that and go on the piss regards Fireman Sam.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The majority are probably LPs, and probably mostly rubbish. But without searching through, who would ever know eh? Would anyone on here dare to dump the lot in a landfill without at least a day looking through?

I couldn't live with myself without having a look first. :(

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

The majority are probably LPs, and probably mostly rubbish. But without searching through, who would ever know eh? Would anyone on here dare to dump the lot in a landfill without at least a day looking through?

I couldn't live with myself without having a look first. :(

Matt you'd have to look at each one but sometimes if your under pressure you'll do spur of the moment decicions a bit like cleaning a shed out then buying a new tool a couple of day's later to replace the one you chucked out .regards S

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

does excellerent make the records more excellent?

Boba don't you ever sleep mate ? by the way I was wondering if the fire department were really intrested in the guy being forced out so they could take the building and develop it for the fire sevice with them being next door ? please note this is not an accusation as I know that Americans don't deliberatly annex peoples property and this is by no means the reflection of the soul source crew but an idea from myself happy new year and best regards Fireman Sam

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

i've been buying random (yellow) stax numbers recently, they're all like white garbage, with no pleasant surprises

Look for the much later Stax soul outputs distributed by Fantasy Records out of Berkeley California.

Social source share

Look for the much later Stax soul outputs distributed by Fantasy Records out of Berkeley California.

Yeah not too many duffers on Mauve Stax Nick. :thumbup: Only a couple in fact.

I am sure records are a fire hazard vinyl or styrene Fireman Sam. That being said the place does look dirty and dangerous :lol:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Yeah not too many duffers on Mauve Stax Nick. :thumbup: Only a couple in fact.

I am sure records are a fire hazard vinyl or styrene Fireman Sam. That being said the place does look dirty and dangerous :lol:

Hi Steve I had a factory unit just for storage of work stuff and I had 20,000 45's in there the unit went up in flames with bales of plastic , drums of diesel ,pallets ect I lost less than 5 45's this was witnessed by Charles Griffen ( insurance consultant ) and Sam moore .Anyone wishing to prove or disprove this get an old 45 (vinyl ) and put a match to it don't breath the smoke in it as it contains amongst other thing's dioxine also in the plastic's industry vinyl can be used as a flame retarder in materials such as A.B.S ect.However for the purposes of the gready insurance company's who are as bad as the banking industry that have shattered the knee cap's of the working man with thier black mailing tactics in the plastics industry I'm told that if plastic is used on site it's plastic so the insurance company can charge what they like regardless of whether the material is flamable or not.It's a pity these people are so gready.regards Twisted fire starter.

Edited by sharmo 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Having never set light to a record :ohmy: I'll bow to your superior knowledge on this one Simon and let you set the 'record straight' (if you pardon the pun).....but always thought vinyl was highly flammable - maybe been reading to many insurance manuals :D:

Hi Steve I've just set fire to a crappy old box of funk records by some group called the Hopkins brothers or something like that only burned with petrol.However a manual is a manual so you must also be right I''ll get you a pint when I see you happy new year Simon P.S some one just told me you were in the insurance industry the comments were not directed at you personly and I apologise for any offence I may have caused you this is a genuine and public apology and hope that you understand it was nothing personel to you.Although you have to be aware that a lot of people and not just the general public but people in business struggle to accept the constant rise in premiums ect .I realise that your position in the industry is way above insuring mini's for a first time driver and hope that you could some day try and make people below you understand how people feel , I know that you are into the big time scenes and you must have earned your stripes on the way up after many bloody encounters and take my hat off to you with best regards Simon.

Social source share

I doubt that vinyl records are a true fire hazard. I think that my building's owners just used that as an excuse to force me out of my flat, as they had plans to tear down the buildings and build new townhomes on that property and would have otherwise been forced to pay me thousands of dollars, had I remained there till the official announcement that the buildings would be torn down. I've had thousands of vinyl records in several other locations and insurance adjusters never mentioned that as a problem.

Social source share

Hi Steve I've just set fire to a crappy old box of funk records by some group called the Hopkins brothers or something like that only burned with petrol.However a manual is a manual so you must also be right I''ll get you a pint when I see you happy new year Simon P.S some one just told me you were in the insurance industry the comments were not directed at you personly and I apologise for any offence I may have caused you this is a genuine and public apology and hope that you understand it was nothing personel to you.Although you have to be aware that a lot of people and not just the general public but people in business struggle to accept the constant rise in premiums ect .I realise that your position in the industry is way above insuring mini's for a first time driver and hope that you could some day try and make people below you understand how people feel , I know that you are into the big time scenes and you must have earned your stripes on the way up after many bloody encounters and take my hat off to you with best regards Simon.

Hi Simon, I know they're as mad as a bunch of hatters. I can't get any sense out of them and I saw that goon from ABI on the news today going on about flood insurance and why the industry won't insure people who live in flood prone areas. You are right though I'm more of your disaster man, Katrina, 9/11, that type of thing. That's why I was in Japan in November. :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Hi Simon, I know they're as mad as a bunch of hatters. I can't get any sense out of them and I saw that goon from ABI on the news today going on about flood insurance and why the industry won't insure people who live in flood prone areas.

Hey Steve, Happy New Year! :thumbup:

Purely out of curiosity why would an insurance company insure people in flood prone areas? If the area is flood prone it wouldn't be a particularly good bet to insure would it? :g:

Ian D :D

Social source share

right i can now state with absolute certainty that vinyl records will not burn (cos i just tryed ...lol)in fact if you hold a flame to them they melt a bit but remove the flame and they do not burn on...thanks simon it was a challenge i had to take on

all the best happy new year to all Dave T

Social source share

right i can now state with absolute certainty that vinyl records will not burn (cos i just tryed ...lol)in fact if you hold a flame to them they melt a bit but remove the flame and they do not burn on...thanks simon it was a challenge i had to take on

I think Pete Smith tried this with the Carstairs and had a similar result didn't he....? :lol:

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I think Pete Smith tried this with the Carstairs and had a similar result didn't he....? :lol:

They shrivel up into little ashtrays As the late Dave McCadden Would have testified regarding ,

Richard Searlings copy of "The Jades I'm Where It's At" LOL x 10

Social source share

I think they do burn, it just has to be a very high temperature. When they do, they burn very hot and release toxic chemicals. It's like a tire fire.

Someone on another message board posted that they looked inside the windows and saw entire palettes of like the same record (e.g. there was a palette of sealed isaac hayes tough guys soundtrack). There still has to be some good stuff given the quantity though.

Social source share

I think you might have a point Bob. Holding a match to something is different from exposing it to a hot fire for a period of time. Some substances don't 'take' until they reach a certain temperature I seem to remember reading when I was errrrr 18.

Just out of interest which record did you try and set light to Motown Dave? The Carstairs is styrene I seem to recall, so should burn like a gas station if the accounts on this page are accurate. Maybe Pete didn't get the temperature hot enough, and hey maybe we need a controlled experiment at an allnighter with some boxes of unsellable or overplayed 'northern' that don't seem to change from one decade to the next :wicked::D: (That's a joke by the way). But at least that'll prove it one way or another. :lol:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I can confirm also that they shrivel up and look like ashtrays,my mate had a record late 70s ,can't even recall what it was, he knew I wanted it but had no cash,so he proceeded to to put a lighter to it in the middle of the pub,some mate eh

sure, a certain temperature will make the vinyl not solid and start bending. but a higher temperature (probably more than you could achieve with your lighter) will make the vinyl catch on fire. Look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_acetate

There is something called the "autoignition temperature" and it's 427 celsius. Admittedly I'm not a scientist and could be misinterpreting that, but you would have to heat up the vinyl very hot to 427 degrees before it caught fire.

Social source share

right now i have tried with an oxy-acetylene torch and whilst you hold the flame to the vinyl it burns(and does produce some acrid smoke) once you remove the heat source the vinyl stops burning.now obviously i have only use one record so cant say how stacks of them would react,but it think you would need a sustained ignition source(eg ruptured gas main) for there to be a significant fire risk.

atb Dave(burn it down)T

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I've just thrown a petrol bomb through my living room window, all my records are in there so i will let you know of the outcome of this experiment when i get out of jail for arson.

Social source share

right now i have tried with an oxy-acetylene torch and whilst you hold the flame to the vinyl it burns(and does produce some acrid smoke) once you remove the heat source the vinyl stops burning.now obviously i have only use one record so cant say how stacks of them would react,but it think you would need a sustained ignition source(eg ruptured gas main) for there to be a significant fire risk.

atb Dave(burn it down)T

I think you have to try with many more records. Maybe like a whole box or a whole shelf or something. Report back!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!