Moments On Hog

Mark W

Did this come out on the same issue number with only "Pray for me" on both sides?

I seem to recall this from somewhere.

If not, and "Baby I want you" is on every press then someone just got a hell of a bargain.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moments-PRAY-ME-Hog-1000B-MINT-Rare-Northern-Soul-PROMO-45-Wheelsville-/330662684174?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4cfd08260e

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Wonder how many people were offered the second chance offer that he refers to in the listing ? My second chance offer was for $74

I got offered it twice on a second offer - different values each time - didn't go for it

Record is not that exciting and it just looked like a possible situation of multiple copies becoming available - there is just one ...ooh here's another one ... oh and another one ... and I'm still looking through the box ... some big box that is :lol:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I got offered it twice on a second offer - different values each time - didn't go for it

Record is not that exciting and it just looked like a possible situation of multiple copies becoming available - there is just one ...ooh here's another one ... oh and another one ... and I'm still looking through the box ... some big box that is :lol:

Cheers

Richard

it's a nice sweet soul record. i got it for $130. he said in the soussan thread that he had only one and got some more or something like that.

Social source share

i agree it's not a bargain, but what do you mean by "different completely"? The pray for me side is identical to the pray for me side on the copies of "baby I want you".

as in the other side aint got "Baby i want you" on it Bob :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylguy

Hi, the box of stuff is accurate. I am the one selling the above mentioned records. I found the first single (the one sided Pray for Me) at an estate sale. While I was familiar with The Moments (having worked in radio for several decades now), I had never heard of this record. I looked it up and learned it was quite rare. I went back to the house to see if I could find any other records--hoping to find something else. I found a small box of similar promo singles from Wheelsville, all but a few of which were were moldy and useless...dissapoiniting to say the least. I was planning to hold on to them, but finances dictated me to do otherwise. I am holding on to one clean copy for myself. In my haste to list the most recent auction that ended today, I neglected to mention this was one sided only. By the time one potential bidder had asked me about it, it was too late to change it on the listing, as a bid had already been made. I contacted the bidders to let them know the situation and offered them the opportunity to cancel their bids, which one did. As other bids came in, I tried to tell them as well. I did not reach the winner of the item, but if he or she is not satisfied, I will offer a complete refund (as I would do with any auction., I hope that clears things up a bit. Thanks for your time..The coolest thing I found in the basement though were two reels of tape, both stamped mono master--one of Baby I Want You and Pray for Me, and the other with two songs called Ordinary Guy and People Don't Know. I threw the first tape up there last week to see if it would fly--and while lots of folks looked--no one bit. Not sure what to do with them at this point.

Social source share

and of course we believe you :rolleyes: ..i think they were a different moments to the stang outfit tho

dave

they were the group that sang not on the outside. they evolved into ray goodman and brown. the original moments then evolved into the leaders on volt. the story is convoluted. listen to my mark green interview.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi, the box of stuff is accurate. I am the one selling the above mentioned records. I found the first single (the one sided Pray for Me) at an estate sale. While I was familiar with The Moments (having worked in radio for several decades now), I had never heard of this record. I looked it up and learned it was quite rare. I went back to the house to see if I could find any other records--hoping to find something else. I found a small box of similar promo singles from Wheelsville, all but a few of which were were moldy and useless...dissapoiniting to say the least. I was planning to hold on to them, but finances dictated me to do otherwise. I am holding on to one clean copy for myself. In my haste to list the most recent auction that ended today, I neglected to mention this was one sided only. By the time one potential bidder had asked me about it, it was too late to change it on the listing, as a bid had already been made. I contacted the bidders to let them know the situation and offered them the opportunity to cancel their bids, which one did. As other bids came in, I tried to tell them as well. I did not reach the winner of the item, but if he or she is not satisfied, I will offer a complete refund (as I would do with any auction., I hope that clears things up a bit. Thanks for your time..The coolest thing I found in the basement though were two reels of tape, both stamped mono master--one of Baby I Want You and Pray for Me, and the other with two songs called Ordinary Guy and People Don't Know. I threw the first tape up there last week to see if it would fly--and while lots of folks looked--no one bit. Not sure what to do with them at this point.

Hi there whilst Baby I want you is desirable the other side is only of any value to the odd person whilst the tapes would make a fantastic conversation piece there really only historical novalty items .If they had some unissed material the likes of Ace , Tramp or Timmion would have entered the bidding let's face it where could you dj with a tape ? I think the absence of bidding proved they are of no commercial value however the manifestation of so many looking also suggests an intrest why don't you just put them up for a set price and see what happens if they were cheap enough I'd have them , as an addition to this thread when Kent did the 100 club aniversary single I thought that Ady had found it on a tape ( or an acetate ?) if so your tapes are sadly not unique regards Simon.

Social source share

You need to get the tapes transferred to digital. We need to hear them. There are some on here who might be interested in getting them out either on CD or vinyl.

Social source share

Are you saying that THESE Moments on Hog Records are the East Coast group that recorded for Stang Records, distributed by Mike Hanks' Detroit Wheelsville USA? I would have guessed that they were a later incarnation of the Detroit Moments, originally led by Herschel Hunter, that recorded for Herman Griffin's Hit (Hitbound) Records.

moments1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Social source share

Actually my company (Demon) does some business with the company which controls some of those early Monents/Whatnauts/O'Jays/Linda Jones masters (I just used some on the new Backbeats comps). They could well be interested..........

Ian D :D

Social source share

Anything to do with the $4,500.00 price tag you put on it, perhaps ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bob, for some reason, I cannot listen to your Mark Greene interview, as my new Mac's Quicktime player needs an add-on (I can't figure out which). So, what is the story of Mike Hanks' label distributing an East Coast production? Or did they come to Detroit to record it?

Social source share

the moments on hit (who evolved into the tempos on rileys) has nothing to do with the hog group. The hog group was from DC and the cuts were recorded at edgewood and produced by the mizell bros and freddie perren. The hog release was a local DC release. One of the producers had some detroit link and that weird press is just a last ditch attempt at distribution. Mark Greene joined the group after the Hog recording sessions.

Ian, your company doesn't have the rights to the Hog recordings.

Social source share

Guest vinylguy

Anything to do with the $4,500.00 price tag you put on it, perhaps ?

I'm sure it did! But not having any reference point to work from, I thought I'd see what might happen.

Social source share

the moments on hit (who evolved into the tempos on rileys) has nothing to do with the hog group. The hog group was from DC and the cuts were recorded at edgewood and produced by the mizell bros and freddie perren. The hog release was a local DC release. One of the producers had some detroit link and that weird press is just a last ditch attempt at distribution. Mark Greene joined the group after the Hog recording sessions.

Ian, your company doesn't have the rights to the Hog recordings.

Thanks for the information. I thought it was strange that there were no recognisable Detroit names on the record. It would seem that they should have found a better way to distribute to a wider network, than to have Wheelsville USA distribute for them. But, I guess that Wheelsville USA's national distributors would have then picked up the Hog Record through them. But the record was not very common. So, maybe it WASN'T handled by Wheelsville's national distributors.

Social source share

Thanks for the information. I thought it was strange that there were no recognisable Detroit names on the record. It would seem that they should have found a better way to distribute to a wider network, than to have Wheelsville USA distribute for them. But, I guess that Wheelsville USA's national distributors would have then picked up the Hog Record through them. But the record was not very common. So, maybe it WASN'T handled by Wheelsville's national distributors.

I think it was the producers' first record, so they initially pressed it themselves and didn't know how to distribute it. There was a 4th dude besides the mizell brothers and perrin, but i can't remember who it was right now (it's in the interview I think, I'm not sure). It's the source of the "four pigs" publishing on the record.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vinylguy

Here are samples of the Moments cuts I have on reel. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks, and hope everyone had (and has) a happy, healthy new year. Jim

post-26053-0-37424100-1326299175.jpg

Social source share

I thought both tracks were just okay, both sides of the Hog 45 are far superior. If this were on a 45 I'm not sure it would be expensive . Actually, that people don't know side is structured really weird, it might have gotten better after the clip ends because most songs resolve themselves at the chorus. I listed to it a few times and that side might actually be really good but I would have to hear more of it.

Social source share

Here are samples of the Moments cuts I have on reel. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks, and hope everyone had (and has) a happy, healthy new year. Jim

I have these cuts on an edgewood acetate and have been occasionally playing them since 1990. Never really got much recognition from the Northern Scene, very much like when the 'fabulous impacts' was first played.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert