I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face How Many Versions?

Rom1

How many versions of this great track exists?

what's the original version?

I know these:

- Aretha Franklin (Columbia)

- Sonji Clay (Songee)

- Justine Washington (Sue)

- Pat Thomas (Verve)

- Monticellos (Red cap)

- Spyder Turner (Mgm LP)

- Dusty Springfield (Philips LP)

- Madeline Bell (Philips LP)

Thank you

Romain

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sure that Pat Thomas was the original. The credits support it.

that's wrong, baby washington was '63, pat thomas is '64. I saw that on the pat thomas record one of the writers produced it (versus juggy murray) but back in that time, songwriting was a full time profession, songwriters shopped songs around trying to get a producer to pick it up... although I don't know what specifically happened in the Baby Washington case. Even if the songwriter decided to later produce the song on an artist, it's not necessarily first.

also, even if pat thomas was first, baby washington had the hit.

Social source share

that's wrong, baby washington was '63, pat thomas is '64. I saw that on the pat thomas record one of the writers produced it (versus juggy murray) but back in that time, songwriting was a full time profession, songwriters shopped songs around trying to get a producer to pick it up... although I don't know what specifically happened in the Baby Washington case. Even if the songwriter decided to later produce the song on an artist, it's not necessarily first.

Sorry to have to disagree with an acknowledged oracle but I've managed to dig out my copy of Pat Thomas.

Both sides have the same publisher, the same arranger (Gary Sherman), the same conductor (Jerry Ragavoy) and the same producer (Creed Taylor).

I cant wait.....written by Ragavoy/ Taylor; B side written by Ragavoy/ Elgin

When did Jerry Ragavoy write for Baby Washington?

Social source share

Sorry to have to disagree with an acknowledged oracle but I've managed to dig out my copy of Pat Thomas.

Both sides have the same publisher, the same arranger (Gary Sherman), the same conductor (Jerry Ragavoy) and the same producer (Creed Taylor).

I used to think Pat Thomas was first because of the credits on the label, but for defo Pat Thomas was recorded in sept 1964. Baby Washington I'm sure was released in feb of 1964? the credits on Justine's version are Norman Meade as well as Chip Taylor, Norman Meade was a pen name of Jerry Ragovoy, I just think Jerry re-dun it on Pat later that year.... might be wrong tho?

steve

Social source share

Did you read my post? It specifically acknowledges the same names on the pat thomas and I give a possible explanation.

Also, you don't have an explanation about how the sue 45 was released in '63 and the pat thomas was released in '64. Baby Washington was released 12/63. Pat Thomas was released in 1964 according to this discography:

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/verve.htm

A discography could make a mistake with a date but not when it's surrounded by a bunch of 1964 dates.

Additionally, even if you are totally correct about which was first, Baby Washington's record was the hit.

Social source share

Did you read my post? It specifically acknowledges the same names on the pat thomas and I give a possible explanation.

Also, you don't have an explanation about how the sue 45 was released in '63 and the pat thomas was released in '64. Baby Washington was released 12/63. Pat Thomas was released in 1964 according to this discography:

https://www.soulfulki...c.net/verve.htm

A discography could make a mistake with a date but not when it's surrounded by a bunch of 1964 dates.

Additionally, even if you are totally correct about which was first, Baby Washington's record was the hit.

Yes, OK, perhaps Jerry Ragavoy licenced the song to Juggy before cutting it himself on Pat Thomas....or maybe the release of the already recorded

Pat Thomas was delayed in a deal with Juggy....or maybe...........But in any case Pat Thomas is "morally" the original in my book and having the "hit" means little in the anals of soul music.

Social source share

And referring to our last interaction have you heard Bennie Shaw's version of the Heatwaves yet?

no, I totally forgot sorry, I just did a search to find out what you were referring to. I will see if I can find the bennie shaw record cheap now, if not, I'll put it on my search list. Thanks for the tip.

Social source share

no, I totally forgot sorry, I just did a search to find out what you were referring to. I will see if I can find the bennie shaw record cheap now, if not, I'll put it on my search list. Thanks for the tip.

craig moerer has it for $350. I guess it's going onto the search list. I think I have that uptown down south CD that the track is apparently on, I will try to dig it out to check it out. Thanks again.

Social source share

this is totally unrelated but your post reminded me of this... did you know there's a chuck colbert production on crackerjack? It's duke hunter "nose trouble". Also, he has that Kitty Love on Dade which is weird. An excello title adds to the random labels he's licensed to.

Social source share

this is totally unrelated but your post reminded me of this... did you know there's a chuck colbert production on crackerjack? It's duke hunter "nose trouble". Also, he has that Kitty Love on Dade which is weird. An excello title adds to the random labels he's licensed to.

Interesting. He was also a member of The American Breed.

Social source share

Back on topic. Did this come out as Baby Washington & Justine Washington as 2 seperate issues?

https://www.raresoulm...INGTON,_JUSTINE

Listed as 1964

I think it just came out as Justine Washington.

And several other sources list it as '63, including one that says 12/63. It's probably reliable given that sue was a large label.

p.s. This is still the best version:

Social source share

I think it just came out as Justine Washington.

And several other sources list it as '63, including one that says 12/63. It's probably reliable given that sue was a large label.

p.s. This is still the best version:

I've got pat thomas version and i prefer that to others i've heard, but each to their own as i say

Social source share

Just one more small point regarding the credits; approx 50% of versions credit Meade rather than Ragavoy as co- writer with Creed Taylor.

Any ideas anyone? I expect an explanation from The Oracle (unless of course he's got himself stuck somewhere up there in the anals).

hi mate, mentioned back in post #18 Norman Meade was a pen name of Jerry Ragovoy

steve

Social source share

pat thomas came out in sept 64 according to the verve discography and baby washington 12/63 and it made 92 on the hot 100 in march 64. its a great song and i like every version i`ve heard but spyder turners version from jan 67 is the best imho....incidentally the uk sue copy is credited to baby washington

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Just one more small point regarding the credits; approx 50% of versions credit Meade rather than Ragavoy as co- writer with Creed Taylor.

Any ideas anyone? I expect an explanation from The Oracle (unless of course he's got himself stuck somewhere up there in the anals).

Sorry I don't have an explanation and I was really busy with anal.

I did know about the different credits though, as I was involved in trying to license the dontells track and it somehow was in BMI in all different permutations of writers, it was weird.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

I know this will offend everyone on this thread, but I got the Pat Thomas today and played it, it's totally like a cheesy lounge jazz version of the track, the least soulish version I've heard. This is just my opinion, but I probably won't be playing it again any time soon.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

what about the other side Boba?

both sides were similar in style.

IMO the best female version is Baby Washington, just because she is such a soulful singer. I like hers better than aretha's etc.

Whoa, i just googled aretha's version and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dR0FDgNJdw

aretha doesn't even look like the same person. she looks anorexic.

I wonder why no female groups ever did the song.

Social source share

Certainly hasn't offended me that you don't rate PatThomas,I do and a lot of folk, I know do,as well and as for The long long night IMO it's a great tune n right up a few people's street who are going to British soul nights nowadays I just disagree bob.with your opinion!

Cool. Some people take stuff too personally here so I wanted to be apologetic. I totally appreciate that there's different tastes and I actually appreciate the fact that some people even like music I hate because I feel like it's all history and I want someone to feel that it's important and care about it and document it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry Bob, not keen on your Dontells, but I can see why you would like it. If your Pat Thomas ia s a Blue issue I would make you an offer on it......Yellow or Black I am ok with thanks. Pro

I got a yellow copy, sorry. It's also in worse condition than was advertised. Do you like the monticellos on red cap version?

Social source share

Montys, Sonjit, Aretha, Baby Washington, Pat T but not sure about the Donells version, I think its a little two mixed for me.

I like the simple ones best.

Suppose its a bit like Tiny Topsy Little Bit but for me its only Topsy's cut that I can listen to.

Dontells Nick. Btw contact?

Edited by Mister Fish
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!