Alternate Versions - One In A Long Winded Series

Derek Pearson

Deon Jackson "I can't go on" (US Carla 45-1900)

Deon Jackson "I can't go on" (UK Contempo-Raries CS-9031)

I'm supposed to know a bit about soul music and for years I'd known about the UK Contempo version of this song being different to its American cousin but a combination of forgetfulness and a 1001 things to do like everybody else seriously hampered my chances of actually getting 'round to comparing them.

Then about a month ago I recall Gibby from Halifax raving to me about the UK Contempo release he was carrying about in his hand and I made a mental note that night to put some time aside to try and finally track down some sound clips to end my curiosity.

Never let it be said that the Internet isn't truly a wonderful, fascinating, mind boggling ocean to swim in. Whatever you can think of - good or bad - it's out there just a keyboard away.

Enter YouTube stage door left. Talk about everything laid out on a plate or what?

I tapped Deon's name into the websites search engine and in less than 10 minutes I'd ticked off another one of those things on my list of 'stuff I had to do before I die'.

It's funny but we all know lots but we all know nothing compared to others.

I was quite surprised really to discover how many collectors - who I thought would know all about these 2 different versions - didn't know anything about them.

It's never ending and it's that which keeps us going.

I guess if Soul Source and it's members were ever to write a 'mission statement' (now there's an idea Mike) I'm pretty certain key words like sharing, co-operation, information gathering, selling me records cheap and loads of other words I can't think of at the moment would be laid down in bold print.

This thread which is the first in hopefully a long winded series of mine will highlight all that is good about this forum.

Nice one Mike.

Idea germinated from this thread in Look at Your Box Dramatics Your Love Was Strange

Started by Premium Stuff, Apr 09 2011.

Why use 10 words when a thousand will do hahaha.

derek x

Deon Jackson "I can't go on" (US Carla 45-1900)

Deon Jackson "I can't go on" (UK Contempo-Raries CS-9031)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Derek,seem to remember having this conversation with you a few times,think we even played the dramatics"your love was strange" back to back to compare, from memory the earlier release on blue volt was the stronger with a slightly hollow feel,the later one being a bit more produced,which is what seems to be the case with deon jackson "I can't go on" the carla release sounding the better of the two,the contempo release sounds slightly slower and with added girlie backing vocals.

Just my opinion of course,anyone played nolan porter's classic "keep on keeping on" from the ABC album,seems to have a longer intro and guitar riffs than the lizard 45??

Social source share

Hi Derek

I love these threads :thumbsup:

I knew about and had listened to the Contempo-Raries version of 'I Can't Go On' before but hadn't appreciated that the differences were so extensive with the Carla version. Had thought it was all about the girlie backing vocals - but Deon's vocals are also quite different. Good to compare side-to-side

The Dramatics thread noted above was spot on in getting to the answer and shows the value of this forum for collectors

Another thread comparing different versions that resulted in a similarly great result with top info was about the different versions of Love Is Real by Cynthia & Imaginations and can be found here:

Keep 'em coming :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

• 1 month later...

anyone played nolan porter's classic "keep on keeping on" from the ABC album,seems to have a longer intro and guitar riffs than the lizard 45??

By jolly michael - I believe you're right!

Never heard the album cut before - didn't even know there was one.

Stumbled upon it whilst flitting about YouTube at random

derek

Social source share

By jolly michael - I believe you're right!

Never heard the album cut before - didn't even know there was one.

Stumbled upon it whilst flitting about YouTube at random

derek

You obviously didn't hear Nolan Porter get numerous spins at Samanthas in Sheffield in the 70's by John Vincent then as that's when I first became aware of it... and naturally picked the album up promptly!

Deon Jackson, I didn't get to know about until the early 80's, courtesy of Mr Hampsey... and naturally... etc.!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

You've Been Cheatin' - Ramona Collins on Cllarks.... One version counts in at the start, other, bang straight into 'ooh baby, you've been cheatin' me'.... What a class tune..

Social source share

I've done this before on another thread, Ben Aiken-satisfied,female backing, german loma compilation ,sadly no cover to lp, so cannot provide any other info from sleeve notes etc.

Now, I heard about this 'other version' (my words) on here a few years ago and have tried to track it down ever since. Not one of the collectors in Germany I have contact with have heard of it. One did suggest that it could be found on the compilation "Soul Message".

Having got hold of a copy of that LP recently, I'm disappointed to report that alI it contains is dodgy stereo remixes of the original 45 cuts. Please tell me that the hunt was not in vain and that this alternative version of Ben Aiken's classic still eludes us. Until found, I can't be satisfied...

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Guest Brett F

Hi Derek, i recently got the Ledgends on the Locket label,' Gotta' Let You Go' whilst over in Germany at the excellent Aachen Soul weekender, i had already got the Commenwealth and Red Balloon(plus the demo of Something To Remember) versions so it was purely a completist thing, low and behold it is a slightly different take, i wasn't aware of this but certainly made the acquisition all the more enjoyable, and to boot i enjoy this take more than the others, and it replaces my Red Balloon copy in my play box.

Brett

Ps...There are a million (!) alternate LP versions to 45's out there aren't there.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

According to Manships boots book Jerry Williams "If you ask me " Different version no Calla to the Pye Disco Demand !

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Dee Edwards on De-to, 'Deal With That', i've the original but there is another version on De-to with horrendous syrupy strings added, really over egging the cake, the original is superb, it works and didn't need messing with, i wonder how many bought that version but didn't realise ?

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Got both the Dee Dee Warwick's on Mercury, ' Where is that Rainbow', LP far slower tempo, and better to my ears, both superb though, remember Gary Dennis playing the 45' at the Monumental weekender some years back, and it sounded so good out loud. Plus another while i'm on a roll is Tom- Emanuel and Ron Experience ' Why (the knower) on Golden Three, i have the 45' but they do a far superior Album only version but under a different name Emanuel Khalid etc, it's a far slower tempo and far more haunting, be careful though the LP got re-issued in 1980 ! (well if such things matter...they do to me...)

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Willie Hutch ' When a boy falls in Love', got the single and the Season For Love LP, totally different versions, this time the up-tempo 45' is the killer choice for me...Always been an avid album collector and enjoy the differing releases (gotta' get both though, haven't you :thumbsup: ), Idris Muhamaad both the 45' and the LP versions of 'I'm a Believer'..I've both but the only way i can listen to this brilliant tune is via the LP, Sakinah Muhamaad just lets go and over 5 minutes long it's a beauty and joy,a fabulous vocal 'tour de force' that is sadly missing from the 45'...

Social source share

Another Contempo-Raries issue which differs to the original 45 is "There's Nothing Else To Say" by The Incredibles. Same backing track, but totally different set of vocals (more loud and assertive). Personally, not as nice as the original Audio Arts 45.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Basic Black & Pearl "There'll Come A Time..." has a slightly longer "outro" on the UK release than the US 45......not heard the original Canadian 45 so don"t know if thats the same :g:

Cheers Paul

I've the Wam (Canadian) demo, two sided both 16 second intro, though one is 4.10 (disco edit) and flip is 3.20...

Social source share

Deadwax Markings.

R-711-X - Strings Foreground - PIANO ?

R-711-A - Strings in the Background. (PIANO Foreground)

Anyone ever noticed this before, I certainly haven't.

Don't know if one is rarer than the other or Luck of the draw.

I bought them from Soul Bowl in the 70's.

Reforee_711.gif

The Labels are Identical, here are the two different Deadwax Markings above.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Will Hatcher on Wheelsville, light blue label, ' You Haven't Seen Nothing Yet', the version i have is the one with the longer intro, for me it makes the record, its a little like the Lou Rawls 'Dead End Street', version with long talking intro is the killer take, without doesn't work for me.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

A couple of 12"s i have and prefer over the 7's, MJ Wade ' Gonna Ball Baby', and Sir Charles Matthews/ Village Choir ' Sweet Hot Lips', just longer takes over the 45' release and better for it in my opinion, but alternate takes, not dissimilar to album (longer cuts) good example Two Tons of Fun ' Taking Away Your Space' (Fantasy/Honey records) got the 45' and LP, album cut is the one i go for longer by a couple of minutes and better for it.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Rance Allen Group..Peace Of Mind and Reason to Survive got the LP and the 45's prefer the longer takes 5.11 and 7.11 respectively, same goes with the O'Jays and the fantastic Message In Our Music, have the demo 45' and the LP, once again LP wins hands down, brilliant break in the later stages, just not there on the 45'.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Interesting one but The Whispers on Dore'.' it only Hurts For a Little While', got the 45, but have later LP version from 1980, re hashed and souped up, both nice versions, funny but the excellent CD comp of Dore' actually credits the 45' in the booklet but actually the track on that CD is the 1980 version, i did email the company...but heard nothing back !!!!

Social source share

Guest Brett F

The Class Set on Mod Art.. ' My Style', fantastic record, but the album is the better take (and harder !), i have the 45' as well, but apparently all the 45's where pressed at the wrong speed, you can tell and there is a clear difference, the LP (recorded at the correct speed) is far superior.

right i'm giving over now, good thread though.

Brett

Social source share

Russell, has the lp got tommy starr-love wheel, on it. I've had the lp for about 30 years, when last played, was always under the impression, it was a different version, no dodgy stereo remixes, from memory. All the best, Nigel.

That's the one. The LP is a compilation of Loma releases and includes Bobby Reed 'I wanna love you so bad' along with 11 other tracks.

post-9478-0-58117800-1332097486_thumb.jp

Apart from being in stereo, to these ears there's nothing different about Ben Aiken's Satisfied at all.

Social source share

Jobell Orch - Never gonna let you go

1st issue has a break after the intro just before the vocals

The 2nd issue has no break at all and continues straight into the vocal.

The twelve inch is also slightly different and the actetate cut for the 12" is also different from the 12" issue.

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!