Trends & J. T. Parker Wanted

Mattfox

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Guest dundeedavie

I never expected it to go for anything close to what it did...but no doubt it's a great record imo. Like it or not there is certainly some hype about it and on lots of wants lists!

so were furbys but whatever happened to them...theres a lot of sheep out there so that accounts for half the wants lists

Social source share

so were furbys but whatever happened to them...theres a lot of sheep out there so that accounts for half the wants lists

Fancy bringing furby's into the the topic :tumbleweed3: . Not sure about sheep Davie...the people who i know who have it on their wants list are very knowledgeable and have great soul/RnB records and that's why they are after J T Parker. I am after a Volumes at the minute, yes it's played lots and lots of people have it but not because i am a sheep it's because it's a quality record and i love it.

Callum :lamsey:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Fancy bringing furby's into the the topic :tumbleweed3: . Not sure about sheep Davie...the people who i know who have it on their wants list are very knowledgeable and have great soul/RnB records and that's why they are after J T Parker. I am after a Volumes at the minute, yes it's played lots and lots of people have it but not because i am a sheep it's because it's a quality record and i love it.

Callum :lamsey:

i'm not saying that people don't like it and that's why they want it, i'm just saying that some of them want purely on the basis of the hype and the kudos they would get for playing it... you can't say you don't know people like that ? as for the volumes, well i agree there it is a quality tune without any doubt.

I've always felt with the JT Parker that if people didn't already know it they wouldn't dance until the chorus kicked in, it's not immediate like i think a good R&B tune should be...all that is of course opinion

Social source share

That auction result for JT Parker must be some sort of mistake surely. It will be interesting to see if the winning bidder actually goes through with the deal.

For what it's worth I personally think it's a really great early soul record and am nonplussed to see people dismiss it so readily.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've always felt with the JT Parker that if people didn't already know it they wouldn't dance until the chorus kicked in, it's not immediate like i think a good R&B tune should be...all that is of course opinion

Davie, you couldn't be more wrong old chap.....the record has had instant dancefloor appeal from the off.....over a big sound system the intro sounds the dogs and just drags folk onto the floor.

Seen it have the same result at big venue oldies events as well as smaller R&B/Mod events as well...and this was well before it became well known to the masses.

Regards

Mace

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Davie, you couldn't be more wrong old chap.....the record has had instant dancefloor appeal from the off.....over a big sound system the intro sounds the dogs and just drags folk onto the floor.

Seen it have the same result at big venue oldies events as well as smaller R&B/Mod events as well...and this was well before it became well known to the masses.

Regards

Mace

Have to agree. I remember Des played it at our do, around early 2010 before it went big and was still covered up. Several of us went running up to the decks straight away (coming away disappointed of course :lol: ) so instant appeal.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

It's always the same here: a very good record becomes popular and some people have to put it down just because it has become popular :sleep3: . J.T. Parker is a TOP record whatever its price.

you're wrong, I disliked it from the time I heard it which wasn't that long after it surfaced ... and i'm not gonna apologise for thinking it's crap either

Social source share

you're wrong, I disliked it from the time I heard it which wasn't that long after it surfaced ... and i'm not gonna apologise for thinking it's crap either

unless you went to Lifeline or where Andy Dyson was djing it would have been a while before you heard it. It was covered up by him for ages and then Mace got his mits on one.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

unless you went to Lifeline or where Andy Dyson was djing it would have been a while before you heard it. It was covered up by him for ages and then Mace got his mits on one.

well obviously I never heard it at lifeline cos it's not a place i would frequent... the point was I never waited till it was popular before claiming not to like it, I disliked it the first time i heard it and my opinion hasn't changed

Social source share

Davie, I know you've never liked it, and your opinion on whether it's good, bad, or indifferent is as valid as anybody elses.

However, to presume and comment that it's never had an 'immediate' effect on the dancefloor is just simply incorrect.

Andy Dyson filled the floor with it as a cover-up at Bidds (the first time I heard it) and not long after Flanny did the same at Middleton.

I first played my copy at one of the Xmas events at Weston-Super-Mare and it instantly filled the floor to a cross section of dancers, most of whom had never heard it before......I know this to be a fact by the size of the queue at the decks after it finished to try and see what it was.

In fact, it was quite a while before I gave it any spins on the R&B / Mod scene, and no-one else was spinning it on those scenes prior to then (not that I'm aware of anyway)

I remember playing it to Callum & Mik Parry down at Carole & Al Forteys house when it was still covered up...Callum made me play it about a dozen times on the trot (bit like the teletubbies...'again, again, again'...)...bless him! :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Always packs the floor down here in deepest South of England whenever it's played it has become a monster sound for many, but I'm with Davie it has never done it for me but then again I've never been into rock and roll baby lol

Social source share