Sheldonsoul

• Replies 25
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

he had the old co-op store in 82-83, then the last shop was in queen street, think it was called watchdog but mick will correct me on that one. the coop was amazing...it had a huge cellar which ian duely filled with all the record collections he had purchased over the years.....it REALLY WAS a CELLAR FULL OF SOUL & every other genre you could imagine, there wasnt an inch of floor space...you could literally have to walk over records. however, the one nestled between the grand & vic was the place to be in its heyday...all those brilliant releases, in particular from the late 70's/early 80's...ian got them on their release dates...many of them now are collectors items and gone on to be massive tunes but back then you would pay the going rate...£1 for most of them.

Social source share

he had the old co-op store in 82-83, then the last shop was in queen street, think it was called watchdog but mick will correct me on that one. the coop was amazing...it had a huge cellar which ian duely filled with all the record collections he had purchased over the years.....it REALLY WAS a CELLAR FULL OF SOUL & every other genre you could imagine, there wasnt an inch of floor space...you could literally have to walk over records. however, the one nestled between the grand & vic was the place to be in its heyday...all those brilliant releases, in particular from the late 70's/early 80's...ian got them on their release dates...many of them now are collectors items and gone on to be massive tunes but back then you would pay the going rate...£1 for most of them.

The Queen Street one was last known as "Toontown Video" !

Social source share

call me old fashioned but I do like reading about people's fond memories of record shops they frequented in years gone by.

But what I really like looking at is them old creased black n white photos of said record stores but there must be something in the human psychia that either takes for granted those common everyday items or we simply never think on to take pictures of our favourite haunts.

I'm just as bad as everybody else.

derek

I've just had an idea! Mmmm

Once whilst trawling for records somewhere north of Miami I found an old electrical store that supposedly sold some of them old 45s.

As I got to the front door I noticed in the window a small hand written note that said 'I sell soul records'.

Come to Pappa.

I did take a photo and I know I've still got it somewhere in amongst a thoussand and one boxes....

Social source share

Guest saddler

Any one remember Memory Lane records in Willenhall .Used to pop in there after night shift and can remember a few times coming out of shop after four or five hours having to be back at work with a couple of hours sleep. Sorry cant remember guys name who ran the shop but he liked to play a tune and you had to guess artist. and title.

Social source share

Any one remember Memory Lane records in Willenhall .Used to pop in there after night shift and can remember a few times coming out of shop after four or five hours having to be back at work with a couple of hours sleep. Sorry cant remember guys name who ran the shop but he liked to play a tune and you had to guess artist. and title.

Bald guy, Malcolm, other guy John.

They had a very very big falling out hence the shop closing.

I still see John now and again, he sometimes has records for me.

Social source share

Does anyone know if pep had any brothers, 20 years back I worked with a dusky skinned guy at LDv vans.worked with him for years when for some strange reason we started talking music and he told me his brother was a northern soul dj called pep, was peps surname ullah as that was this guy I used to work with surname. Are there any other big characters from the past who anyone has some good stories about

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

peps name is ian peripar sumut like that

PEP - real name Ian Pereira.

So sad to hear about Helen.

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Does anyone know if pep had any brothers, 20 years back I worked with a dusky skinned guy at LDv vans.worked with him for years when for some strange reason we started talking music and he told me his brother was a northern soul dj called pep, was peps surname ullah as that was this guy I used to work with surname. Are there any other big characters from the past who anyone has some good stories about

the name ullah was the sir mane of little john from scunthorpe who sadly pass away a few years ago will find out of is wife on box day if i see her it just seem uncanny

Social source share

Alan Rhodes used to run a pub about a mile from where I live, quite a while ago. I didn't know at the time (found out much later) or i would have gone and had a word with him.

The strange world of....

Are you talking Al Rhodes Wigan Dj who used to run The Oval Ball Soul Club York? Was the pub a Samual Smiths pub by any chance Steve, or are we talking about a different Al Rhodes?

Social source share

PEP - real name Ian Pereira.

So sad to hear about Helen.

ian did have quite a large family, brothers & sisters etc, i think he originally moved from stourbridge or somewhere in that region and supposedly most of them still reside there. he moved houses several times whilst living in wolverhampton, always remaining private but to a select few friends. the first record shop he set up was in walsall, in stafford street, always amazing tunes...i used to spend every lunch time in there when i worked in the town. of course there were a number of record shops and great junk shops in walsall during the early/mis 70's. i remember when neil rushton opened his first floor premises in lichfield street, he'd been there a short while when he came back from the states with an absolute motherlode of tunes, many in 50's & 25 counts....again tripping over stuff!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert