How Do You You Like Me Now - The Heavy....interesting Record

So being the Xmas break, I'm doing my annual catch-up of everything I missed throughout the year due to a ridiculous workload LOL.

So I finally got around to watching the film "Horrible Bosses" (which is brilliant by the way) and halfway through the film a song jumped out and grabbed me by the jugular.

It doesn't happen that often. The last time was when I heard a neat tune using the sample of Alicia Myers' "If You Play your Cards Right" in the film "Smokin' Aces" roughly about this time a couple of years back.

But this one is a real beauty. A really aggresive uptempo funk workout which lifts from James Brown and Kool Moe Dee and samples Dyke & The Blazer's "Let A Woman Be A Woman And A Man Be A Man". Basically a King Hell B*stard of a record! I've been listening to a lot of Lee Dorsey and New Orleans stuff just lately, so this really hit the spot. Plus it reminded me of the World Column LOL. See whatcha think....

The Heavy - How Do You Like Me Now

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Ian, Great tune can't remember where I first heard it and then heard it on the film the Fighter last year.

Talking about Dyke and the Blazers I believe Funky Broadway was the last track played at the Wheel in1966 by the late great Roger Eagle.

Edited by bri. phill
Social source share

• 5 months later...

Top (local) band, I put their first 45 out a few years ago.

Still got a few in the loft.... :rolleyes:

Great signing mate. I didn't even realise they were British until recently. They seem to be getting the most attention in the U.S. Good for them. Is the first single any good?

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest mattRSC

I went to see these live a few years back at the Rainbow in Brum I think it was. I highly recommend going to see them if they tour at a venue near you. I personally think the first album in very well put together called "Great Vengeance Fury and Fire" I think there's even a sample of Spencer Davis Gimme Some lovin where they've sampled the drum start and used it on one of the tracks. Yeah clever band with vast influence in great music using it to work in today's market.

They certainly work on a groove with there songs to get the foot tapping which seems to be a missing thing in a lot of today's new bands sadly :(

I think the first single might be called colleen or something like that Ian, Yeah I like it, I wouldn't mind one if there's any spares for sale :yes:

Matt

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest john s

Launch for the new album at the Borderline on Thursday August 9th - and I'll be playing some records beforehand...

some might even be Northern! :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert