Jools Holland - Hootenanny . Betty Wright Appearing

Ian Parker

is it going to be goosebump time then?,.......not knowing what she's going to sing from a near 5 decade repetoire? :g: clean up woman - shoorah, - where is the love, - this mane of mine etc?....BE HONEST.....SHE COULD HAVE DONE THE WHOLE SHOW FOR HIM!!! :lol: :lol: :lol::hatsoff2:

Most likely a couple of tracks from her new CD - which is good anyway!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I love Betty Wright and all she's done. The four LPs which came out in consecutive years in the late 80s are all superb. As is the current CD. In fact, it's probably the best CD of the year imo and there are some strong contenders.

Let's hope Joolz doesn't ruin it by playing his honky tonk piano through her songs.

Jordi

Social source share

I can't abide Jools Holland's manner, but he is a great blues pianist and has done loads to bring otherwise ignored (by the mainstream) african american artists to the attention of the masses. Won't see Betty's performance as I'll be out on the razz

at the Motherfunk Hogmanay party in Edinburgh, but I'm sure she'll storm the barn.

Social source share

Jools rocks, I love him, always an interesting mix!

Oh definately..luv his shows...think Edwin Starr made one of his last appearances on there....saw Solomon Burke as well one NYE...but one of the shows that has stood out for me..was seeing Betty Lavette...sing Let Me Down Easy...live...when i was dong a night shift unwilling ....remember one of the customers wanted to turn it over half way....and i scowled..they asked me who it was ..cos they had never heard of her... i said if yer have to ask...then yer wouldnt understand :wink: .....saw Jools live locally a few summers back ...and he and his orchestra was fooking awesome...a tiny slip of a man..despite his gob..was suprised at his stature..but hey..anybody who take the time to put on quality artites on TV...is boss in my books!!!!!...Del...xxxx

Social source share

:ohmy: Jools Holland just asked a dwarf what the highs and lows of his year were! :lol:

So far, Sandy Shaw still ain't got any shoes but she certainly has legs, Betty Wright has been excellent, Ruby Turner stormed it, and Cindy Lauper reminded me of Oliver Reed's memorable "Wild One" rendition.

Hats off to Jools Holland for the diversity of the musicians he sets before us.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Jools not the most charasmatic guy BUT musically he is brill. Gives lots of artists exposure whether they be brand new or some of "our artists" can't fault the guy for that and his orchestra are really tight! Betty was gr8 even singing impressions during CUW. Gr8 way to see the New Year in - still watching it now LOL all the best everyone for 2012

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I Sky Plus'ed it last night and have just finished watching it now.

Funnily enough, one of the few times I felt compelled to hit the fast forward button was when Betty was running through her impersonations on 'Clean Up Woman' - which do get a bit old when you've been listening to her 70s live album for three and a half decades, even though she's added one or two to her repertoire over the years. Still, at least she got three songs, which is one more than most participants got.

Best Annual Hoootenanny ever overall, though, with the best balance of acts he's ever had on it.

Definitely including Cyndi Lauper and even including James Morrison...

Social source share

Wow that was good last night! Worth staying in for :yes: .

I loved the first track Betty sang "In the middle of the game" from the great album released last year. What a voice...Ruby too of course.

Great diverse show I thought, and how good are Jool's band? Not sure it's common knowledge that a few members formed a separate band a couple of years ago called "Fillet of Soul", who, along with some other great musicians and singers play some local nights every so often here in Northants (the most recent being just last week, where there was over 400 people in the room enjoying what they do brilliantly). Keep an eye out for more dates. They don't advertise the events on SoulSource, but I might do for them this year with their agreement, as they need to be heard IMO. :thumbsup:

All the best and Happy New Year,

Steve

Social source share

Sandie Shaw might have legs..........but I wish she had used them and walked off somwhere else...........I felt rather embarrassed for her!!!! :huh:

Favourite for me was Gregory Porter...............brilliant!!! :thumbup:

Edited by Carol J
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Sandie Shaw might have legs..........but I wish she had used them and walked off somwhere else...........I felt rather embarrassed for her!!!! :huh:

:ohmy: I used to really fancy Sandy Shaw when I was 12.

For a 64 year old, that's 6 years older than both Cindy Lauper and Betty Wright, I thought she looked and sounded (well almost) pretty good. Fair play to her I say.

I agree, Gregory Porter was brilliant - but why the dodgy headgear? With a voice like that he doesn't need a gimmick.

I enjoyed all the acts and they fitted in well with Jools' diverse party atmosphere. Was most looking forward to Betty Wright but I have to say that Ruby Turner edged it for me.

....and what about Rico Rodriguez, vocals and trombone at 77. Fantastic!

Did anone spot the guy in the suit dancing to one of Aloe Blacc's numbers and doing the dummy backdrop? (twist to the right, put your arm down behind you, lean back and bend your knees - then straighten back up when reality hits you). Anyone know who it was?

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Betty was great nice one . Aloe Black was allright though I prefer his sister Vera

I,ll get me leather coat . Happy new year

"Aloe Black" Didn't Luis Suarez get banned for using his name ?

I'll get my coat as well ! :(

Edited by allnightandy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Enjoyed Betty Wright but Cyndi Lauper stole it for me with that first song - 'Shattered Dreams'? - absolutely brilliant!

That was the one that reminded me of Oliver Reed's alcohol inspired rendition of "Wild One"!

Not the singing I might add, but the way she sent the mike stand flying, and teetered around the stage in those heels - I thought she was gonna come a cropper!

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

happy new year everyone. woke up today and can remember everything about last night. Shame they put top of the pops on so late as id had a few drinks by then , but its all crystal clear in my memory thanks to keeping to my one unit limit . My good woman says one bottle of vodka DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ONE UNIT, but im sure the supermarket would count it as such. Anyway that bloke who plays the piano is funny isnt he, his norman wisdom impression at the beginning falling over and that set the tone has us falling about too, although i was reaching for more ice at the time.Gregory porter reminded me of an artist i saw on standing in the shadows of motown, Big guy, huge leather coat forgotten his name , anyone?... Cindy Lauper was spot on, not as pissed as she appeared, my good lady said she was dressed like a whore, but then she dressed me , and i looked like a whore too so i dont see what she had to complain about..Betty Wright was just superb, rolling back the years effortlessly with such a resilient voice despite her age. i was upstairs catting up during her first number , but caught "shoorah shoorah, and clean up woman , which was ironic as id knocked more drink over during this classic. Jo brand,s humour doesnt always strike the right note with some people but i thought her new years resolution to have nick clegg face down on hackney marshes with her boot in face , left an enduring image didnt it,? er yes it did. Rico rodrigues , "im in the mood" ruby turner was just magic, imelda may looked quite tidy and played down the rockabilly image quite well. with a good choice of songs which added to the party , the american neo skiffle group , pokey lafarge and......the rest of the group s name escapes me , probably down the back of the sofa along with the vodka bottle top and our lasses knickers. Caro emerald ,and sandie shaw both looked fantastic but werent so great in the singing department. Although i reckon sandie was looking for some lessons in the oral department from james morrison at the end. heh heh. Now thats entertainment !

Social source share

Did anone spot the guy in the suit dancing to one of Aloe Blacc's numbers and doing the dummy backdrop? (twist to the right, put your arm down behind you, lean back and bend your knees - then straighten back up when reality hits you). Anyone know who it was?

My eldest informs me he was the drummer out of Imelda May, and yes I spotted it as well.

Great show overall, very pleasant way of passing this morning, that and the Super League review of 2011

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Well I spent NYE in my bed from 4pm, where I still am now, feeling and looking like crap due to infection! I have checked out Joolz on iplayer and have to agree with everyone that's it's the best one yet. Betty was class, Cyndi was fantastic and a real eyeopener for me but Ruby Turner just sent me over the edge, utter magic! All the other other acts were fantastic and Joolz got a perfect balance yet again. Fantastic! I have always applauded him for his showcasing of lesser known acts and there is no doubting his love and joy for musical talent, so a huge pat on the back to Mr Holland and pass the neurofene for me. Happy New Year!,

Social source share

I enjoyed the show, Betty Wright was great & putting it into perspective, she's not that we'll known outside the soul fraternity this side of the pond & she showed her talents to the mainstream.

Being watching this show on NYE for years, deffo a more r&b slant this days, not so long it was all indie/obscure/rock based, while still diverse, r&b/soul at an all time high in the mainstream at the minute.

We can probably thank Amy, Adele & all that white pseudo soul stuff, etc etc, but whatever reason, black music in in a purple patch.

Long may it continue, but just the flavour of the day for the main record industry, who'd drop it like a ton of bricks to make a buck.

Still, can't complain cos that was great last night.

Aid.

Social source share

He was awesome singing the Work Song :thumbsup: Usually the audience can sing the song word for word, not this time :no: but I could :thumbup: It was sooooo cool.

Wasn't keen on his silly head thing, but his voice more than made up for the reject balaclava :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

I don't think that anyone has mentioned Jessie J, but I liked her Price Tag, especially with the tight band backing and the fantastic brass section. She looked so much like a young Sandie Shaw (but with shoes) :lol:

Social source share

I recorded it, came in half-cut and like an impatient kid I put it on to glimpse Betty and luckily she was on first with one of the killer cuts from the new album. Was then pleasantly surprised to find Gregory Porter on too......next thing I knew it was 4am! LOL

Have watched it now and thought it was great overall, with the highlights being those mentioned here really.

Shameless plug time......but not really for me, more for those great artists......if you want to hear Betty's opening number or the killer Gregory Porter cut doing the rounds over the last year, check 'em out here in my November Starpoint Radio show. There's another track from the Betty CD in the December show, re-broadcasting now Monday 2nd January 9-11am at www,starpointradio.com, or catch the podcast which will be available at Podomatic from 11am today:

https://starpointsoulboy.podomatic.com/entry/2011-11-28T03_00_00-08_00

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!