Chris Evans, Bbc Radio 2 Played Dean Parrish This Morning

Soul16

At 9.10am this morning Chris Evans played a record that was in the charts around Christmas 1975 - He back-announced it with the following quote:

" Dean Parrish, I'm on my way, from Christmas 1975.....1975??...Sounds like sixties song to me that...Northern Souly though I suppose, y'know with that echo kind of, y'know ambience to it"

I know that just because he's on national radio, he can't be an expert on all music types, but he clearly was unaware that in 1975 and beyond, the Northern Soul scene was based around sixties records and that it was influential enough to create a demand for reissues of these records that dented the lower regions of the charts.

As for the definition of Northern Soul as having an 'echo ambience', I'm not even sure what that means.

Hopefully, if he listens to Pete Watermans documentary tonight, he'll get a much better idea of what Northern Soul is...

Social source share

At 9.10am this morning Chris Evans played a record that was in the charts around Christmas 1975 - He back-announced it with the following quote:

" Dean Parrish, I'm on my way, from Christmas 1975.....1975??...Sounds like sixties song to me that...Northern Souly though I suppose, y'know with that echo kind of, y'know ambience to it"

I know that just because he's on national radio, he can't be an expert on all music types, but he clearly was unaware that in 1975 and beyond, the Northern Soul scene was based around sixties records and that it was influential enough to create a demand for reissues of these records that dented the lower regions of the charts.

As for the definition of Northern Soul as having an 'echo ambience', I'm not even sure what that means.

Hopefully, if he listens to Pete Watermans documentary tonight, he'll get a much better idea of what Northern Soul is...

Yeah he needs to stick to what he does best ......looking like a 'tw*t' :yes:

Edited by grant
Social source share

Pretty sure Graham Norton played Judy Street's "What" on Radio 2 the other Saturday Morning.

Paul O'Grady usually plays at least one Northern track on his Sunday afternoon show.

And Brian Matthews on Sounds of the Sixties often plays a sixties "stomper".

There's plenty of NS on Radio 2, but at least most of the DJ's know what it is.

Not really surprised that Chris Evans doesn't.

Social source share

hes probably too young to remember when it was played in youth clubs etc ?....i know im in the sw and not up north but most people i speak to under 40,even those who know a lot about music have never heard of 'northern' soul its just 60s soul/motown to them

i know hes a dj but most 'daytime' djs today are just presenters really not big music fans

dean

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Slightly tinny mono / no bass ?
Social source share

years ago dj`s had some musical knowledge..tony blackburn and the like. today they are a hapless bunch who dont know shit. evans is no different.. obviously its a 60`s record but he would only have had to look in the guiness book of hit singles to find out it charted much earlier in the year. bloody hopeless the lot of em....and you know whats even worse the f**king lazy radio programers....pinching a living

Social source share

years ago dj`s had some musical knowledge..tony blackburn and the like. today they are a hapless bunch who dont know shit. evans is no different.. obviously its a 60`s record but he would only have had to look in the guiness book of hit singles to find out it charted much earlier in the year. bloody hopeless the lot of em....and you know whats even worse the f**king lazy radio programers....pinching a living

Too lazy to research...reminds me of the time 'Atomic Kitten' were on some show singing 'The Tide Is High' and the female host proclaimed "nice version of the Blondie original".....made me shout at the TV..."it's the bloody Paragons 1967 aargghhh!!!!!"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wow!!, Soul music on the radio - whatever will they think of next, Eh?.

Remember Dave Lee Travis used 'A Touch of Velvet' as some sort of backing track on his Radio 1 show and there was talk at the time that a 'crew' from Wigan were going to go down to London and Kidnap the DJ, then demand that if he didn't stop playing said Mood Mosiac track they'd shave of his Hairy Cornflake.

Edited by Zed1
Social source share

Why can't folk embrace that the records we cut our teeth on are now being played on main stream radio because they are simply 'fooking good records' all this shit about guys playing them who did or didn't do their stint piffs me off

Its EVERYBODY'S music. :thumbsup:

Jeez not often I praise you on here, but 11.5 out of 10 for this one.

And just to add if people spent less time listening and debating what pop djs play on radio 2 and spent more time thinking of what they play, listen to and buy on the current scene it wouldn't be as pish as it is now with everyone playing the same records.

Double Jeez, I couldnt imagine ever thinking of shit like this when I was going out every week, much more interested in my own records and chasing ones no-one else had.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

not defending the fella but most likely and very simply, never gave a flying f''@k

not defending the fella but most likely and very simply, never gave a flying f''@k

And indeed why should he, f**c me, some of the people on here are getting so far from reality (not you by the way, I am agreeing with you) I am glad I am nothing to do with this scene any more.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And indeed why should he, f**c me, some of the people on here are getting so far from reality (not you by the way, I am agreeing with you) I am glad I am nothing to do with this scene any more.

and what would you call reality then jock.someone who agrees with you all the time. oh bollocks to it ..i havent got the time of day for you

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just listened to the Maconie - Waterman interview last night and if it's anything to go by he'll learn f**k all.

Utter drivel - contrived- Too Darn Soulful at 10:00pm tonight should be a nightmare if the interview is anything to go by

Edited by GrayM
Social source share

and what would you call reality then jock.someone who agrees with you all the time. oh bollocks to it ..i havent got the time of day for you

s

I call my reality people who don't listen to celebrities or radio 2 shows to gain a deeper understanding of the soul scene, I call reality people who can debate records without worrying if Chris Evans knows a NS record or not. I call reality a pop dj not caring, or being expected to care about what we talk about or what we care about.

My extended reality is people who spend time on the scene worrying about the scene, not if Ann Diamond went to Wigan once or not.

Obviously reality is no longer a friend of mine, I find it frustrating and just a shame almost all debate on here is about similar things rather than actually anything remotely related to soul. Feel free for that all to offend you for some strange f**cking reason.

And off course I expect people to agree with me all the time, otherwise they would be wrong.

And before Micheal rightly chastises me, this is a dig a people and not site, but yes I do know the answer, watch this space.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Heard Dean Parrish on Chris Evans show, he followed it with that simply unaffordable tune "Mr Blobby" by Mr Blobby. Whoever put that show together makes me wonder where the world is headed.

TOTP

It's not a serious show is it? Just a light hearted start to the day on the radio so what do you expect? I really don't understand why folks get worked up about a record that actually saw release (and was actually a top 40 hit) being played on a radio show, or in the background on a TV program?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's not a serious show is it? Just a light hearted start to the day on the radio so what do you expect? I really don't understand why folks get worked up about a record that actually saw release (and was actually a top 40 hit) being played on a radio show, or in the background on a TV program?

some of us take other types of music seriously chalky... not just rare soul

Social source share

My extended reality is people who spend time on the scene worrying about the scene, not if Ann Diamond went to Wigan once or not.

Now you've gone and done it!

Next week there'll be a thread about "famous people on the scene" (Part 56) and someone will mention Ann Diamond went to Wigan. Anyway it was Anna Ford as you well know :D:

On Chris Evans isn't he given records to play? So he plays an occasional northern one, so what? Jeepers I heard Frank Wilson on HSBC radio and someone else heard a northern track playing in Tescos the other week. HMV Westfield Stratford was playing Millie Jackson "My man a sweet man" at 17.54 yesterday, I heard it and could help it but start doing a dance in the queue with my Harry Potter box set etc etc. :no:

Bella Delena (pop shi*te) opened up the Butlins programme on ITV tonight - shall we start a thread on that? :no:

People, northern soul records exist, and get played from time to time in the media. Didn't realise it was such a big deal.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

s

I call my reality people who don't listen to celebrities or radio 2 shows to gain a deeper understanding of the soul scene, I call reality people who can debate records without worrying if Chris Evans knows a NS record or not. I call reality a pop dj not caring, or being expected to care about what we talk about or what we care about.

Obviously reality is no longer a friend of mine, I find it frustrating and just a shame almost all debate on here is about similar things rather than actually anything remotely related to soul. Feel free for that all to offend you for some strange f**cking reason.

And off course I expect people to agree with me all the time, otherwise they would be wrong.

And before Micheal rightly chastises me, this is a dig a people and not site, but yes I do know the answer, watch this space.

ego the size o the sun

Social source share

ego the size o the sun

I know Yorkshire men are famous for having few words, as well as being tight, but try making the words you do use worthwhile Want to explain why any of my statements are egotistical. Oh and while you are about spot the sarcastic one.

F**cking typical of debate on here these days, don't like the response, but don't answer the points throw an insult and some toys out of the pram.

I repeat, thank f**k I have nothing to do with current scene,

Social source share

Now you've gone and done it!

Next week there'll be a thread about "famous people on the scene" (Part 56) and someone will mention Ann Diamond went to Wigan. Anyway it was Anna Ford as you well know :D:

On Chris Evans isn't he given records to play? So he plays an occasional northern one, so what? Jeepers I heard Frank Wilson on HSBC radio and someone else heard a northern track playing in Tescos the other week. HMV Westfield Stratford was playing Millie Jackson "My man a sweet man" at 17.54 yesterday, I heard it and could help it but start doing a dance in the queue with my Harry Potter box set etc etc. :no:

Bella Delena (pop shi*te) opened up the Butlins programme on ITV tonight - shall we start a thread on that? :no:

People, northern soul records exist, and get played from time to time in the media. Didn't realise it was such a big deal.

Chris Evans said a few weeks ago he was really pleased with the choices of records been played i assumed he meant he didnt choose any of them or may be the odd one :thumbsup:

Social source share

I know Yorkshire men are famous for having few words, as well as being tight, but try making the words you do use worthwhile Want to explain why any of my statements are egotistical. Oh and while you are about spot the sarcastic one.

F**cking typical of debate on here these days, don't like the response, but don't answer the points throw an insult and some toys out of the pram.

I repeat, thank f**k I have nothing to do with current scene,

yeh thank f**k for that....i dont like your attitude fella ..debate has got nothin to do with it .. we probably like a lot of the same records but like i said i cant be ased even talkin to you about that

Social source share

I have to agree, its not an issue for me, northern's not alone in being used as Muzak, you can here bits of any obscure prog, pych, funk used in ads all the time. Chris Evans is a ginger div, yeah, but thats no revalation to anyone. Aside from it making a point about the general quality of contemporary pop, Northern being played in the mainstream media can only be a postive thing. Celebrity papmiesters commenting on the scene, well thats another thread.

Social source share

..i dont like your attitude fella ..debate has got nothin to do with it ..

Jesus Christ, debate has everything to do with it, its a f**cking forum and I am debating some statements and opinions that you threw at me for no reason.You could try debating what I said since I responsed to you, but no as usual its easier to throw insults rather than debate what you actually started, and as usual not answer any of the questions challenging your statements, nothing like ignoring facts to throw names. In all seriousness do you want to actually say which one of my reality statements offend you so much, I am still scratching my head. FFS nothing should surprise me on here, but daily it does.

And which part of my attitude don't you like, the bit that takes none of this too seriously and takes the piss out of some of the rubbish spouted, or the bit that has the nerve to challenge when people dare to put something I disagree on, on a debating forum? I would say I will change, but so far you don't really present any compelling reasons to shame me into conciliatory retreat do you. My attitude and me are perfectly happy together at the moment, thank you very much

Actually lets ignore this and lets leave you to your prejudices, sure we can both live with it. This became boring and pointless for everyone else long ago.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

can anyone remember if Zig & Zag ever did a cover version of a northern tune ????

I believe they are the original members of the Professionals.

Social source share

Jesus Christ, debate has everything to do with it, its a f**cking forum and I am debating some statements and opinions that you threw at me for no reason.You could try debating what I said since I responsed to you, but no as usual its easier to throw insults rather than debate what you actually started, and as usual not answer any of the questions challenging your statements, nothing like ignoring facts to throw names. In all seriousness do you want to actually say which one of my reality statements offend you so much, I am still scratching my head. FFS nothing should surprise me on here, but daily it does.

And which part of my attitude don't you like, the bit that takes none of this too seriously and takes the piss out of some of the rubbish spouted, or the bit that has the nerve to challenge when people dare to put something I disagree on, on a debating forum? I would say I will change, but so far you don't really present any compelling reasons to shame me into conciliatory retreat do you. My attitude and me are perfectly happy together at the moment, thank you very much

Actually lets ignore this and lets leave you to your prejudices, sure we can both live with it. This became boring and pointless for everyone else long ago.

nothing to debate about. i have no time for you and thats it.....what is to debate about that. i`m sure youll have another agressive jackonory story though. my opinion is my opinion and what you think is irellevant

Social source share

If you have no wish to enter debate with someone can I suggest you then ignore them and refrain from name calling? If you have to call someone something in response to a posting then please elaborate.

Jock maybe highly opinionated but he does plain his opinions, sometimes a little too aggressively for some for which I would ask to be toned down a little if possible. He was asked to explain his use of reality which IMO he did quite well and I for one didn't see anything egotistical in his reply?? There was no need for the response that followed really, not without explanation.

All I ask is to stick to the debate in question without the need for insults or name calling or ignore them, or if you do go down that route then expand a little.

Social source share

This is the reality on here.Discussing Dean Parrish being played on the radio.Not whether you have nothing to do with the scene anymore.

How do you know JNixon is not "getting so far from reality"? You're agreeing with his post,not him...

Social source share

Guest hurryup

You can't expect all dj's on the radio to know what's northern soul and what isn't, there's millions of records out there and they try to play something for everyone. They're not all dinosaurs or ~"bloody hopeless" like you say.

As for Tony Blackburn, yeh I remember the old crooner but popular music is massive these days, a lot more so than back in my youth.

So give them a break, good luck to them!!!

Social source share

I actually think some are losing a grip on reality when the playing of a UK chart hit from the 70's (and I know it is a 60's record) on the RADIO causes such a fuss. The same when something is played in the background on Corrie...we all know there are some in the show and probably behind the scenes with a connection to the music, the same at Radio 2, the same at channel 4 or 5, the same in other aspects of the media, hardly surprising then that music from the 60s black america find its way into everyday aspects of life.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

This is the reality on here.Discussing Dean Parrish being played on the radio.Not whether you have nothing to do with the scene anymore.

How do you know JNixon is not "getting so far from reality"? You're agreeing with his post,not him...

Kev, I thought Jock's point about 'having little to do with the scene anymore' was relevant to the topic, to me he was just saying we've all become so precious about everything, that simple things like Chris Evans playing Dean Parrish becomes an issue. As Chalky said in his last post it happens all the time, I don't get why people are either outraged or surprised.

Social source share

Kev, I thought Jock's point about 'having little to do with the scene anymore' was relevant to the topic, to me he was just saying we've all become so precious about everything, that simple things like Chris Evans playing Dean Parrish becomes an issue. As Chalky said in his last post it happens all the time, I don't get why people are either outraged or surprised.

But Jocko's post smacks of despair/lack of patience/minor outrage* (* delete as necessary).The emotions of someone who's glad to be off the scene? I'm sure he''ll be back to defend himself Win. :)

As for being precious,i'm sure we all are to some extent.I've got over the shock of NS etc,being played on the radio long ago,but its still a good topic to discuss on here.So let it be discussed.

Off to put some grease on the cat's boil.Carry on chaps... :lol:

Social source share

Too lazy to research...reminds me of the time 'Atomic Kitten' were on some show singing 'The Tide Is High' and the female host proclaimed "nice version of the Blondie original".....made me shout at the TV..."it's the bloody Paragons 1967 aargghhh!!!!!"

I remember getting a wee bit annoyed listening to radio 4 about 10 years back when they were interviewing a Rave DJ and in response to a question about the Rave scene she said - you have to remember that this was the first time that British kids could go out and dance allnight to music. Nearly choked on me weetabix lol

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I remember getting a wee bit annoyed listening to radio 4 about 10 years back when they were interviewing a Rave DJ and in response to a question about the Rave scene she said - you have to remember that this was the first time that British kids could go out and dance allnight to music. Nearly choked on me weetabix lol

If Berry Gordy was alive, he'd choke on his cornflakes too. :g:

Social source share

You can't expect all dj's on the radio to know what's northern soul and what isn't, there's millions of records out there and they try to play something for everyone. They're not all dinosaurs or ~"bloody hopeless" like you say.

As for Tony Blackburn, yeh I remember the old crooner but popular music is massive these days, a lot more so than back in my youth.

So give them a break, good luck to them!!!

come on they need to have a bit of knowledge..same as anyone that plays rare soul really

dave

Social source share

If you have no wish to enter debate with someone can I suggest you then ignore them and refrain from name calling? If you have to call someone something in response to a posting then please elaborate.

Jock maybe highly opinionated but he does plain his opinions, sometimes a little too aggressively for some for which I would ask to be toned down a little if possible. He was asked to explain his use of reality which IMO he did quite well and I for one didn't see anything egotistical in his reply?? There was no need for the response that followed really, not without explanation.

All I ask is to stick to the debate in question without the need for insults or name calling or ignore them, or if you do go down that route then expand a little.

and thats the problem i have with him. his initial post is always aggressive guns blazing insane ranting that makes debate with him impossible.. then he calms down a bit usually after a warning from mike ultimately he does talk a lot of sense....................but dont tell him i said that

dave

Social source share

Same people hi-jacking threads again.Threads,and the scene,they apparently have no interest in.

Where did I say I have no interest in either? Being glad not to be involved any more is hardly the same as not being interested in watching, from behind a screen, what I percieve as a terminal decline in my once beloved scene, and getting incredibly excited that more people are interested in debating PW or Chris Evans than talking about the quality of recent Kent releases** woud suggest I am almost sick with excitement at this thread surely.

I am flattered by your constant attention to my detail, but should probably tell you that my therapist would say stalking a narcissist is akin to blindly headbutting a masochist, so your not doing a very good job of getting me stop my attentions seeking ways are you...

Here's a thought, you could challenge the opinions that I dare to throw up much to your obvious disgust.

Not sure if I am your Jonathan the woodcutter or you are my Dennis Nilsen, maybe. I should ask my therapist

** And yes I know I am equally guilty, but watch this space for the new chilled out soul talking only Jocko in 2012

Social source share

nothing to debate about. i have no time for you and thats it.....what is to debate about that. i`m sure youll have another agressive jackonory story though. my opinion is my opinion and what you think is irellevant

My Doctor of Love (Stafford) has said I am suffering a Broken Heart Attack (Wigan) as a result of your cutting comments, but he thinks I Will Survive (Radio 2)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!