How Vinyl Is Made

Guest leeham987

Guest Matt Male

Isn't there another part of the process where they cut an acetate, or is the acetate the stamper?

I think the metal stampers turn up on occasion, but I wonder if any of the lacquered discs survive?

Hmm just googled it and it said the acetate is the lacquered disc from which the stamper is produced.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Isn't there another part of the process where they cut an acetate, or is the acetate the stamper?

I think the metal stampers turn up on occasion, but I wonder if any of the lacquered discs survive?

Hmm just googled it and it said the acetate is the lacquered disc from which the stamper is produced.

As far as I know, an acetate is a test cut of the finished product, before they do the vinyl test pressings, like if they needed a copy hot off the press they'd cut a couple of acetates first.

Social source share

Ive heard some small private labels would use recycled vinyl and the 45 would sound like crap..cant recall anything in particular but I know there was on label out of the bay area that did that

Yes I heard something like this too. Also heard about use of old car tyres or something. Sound really bad but no probs if you drop them :D:thumbsup:

Hadn't seen this original thread in December, so found it interesting to have a quick read / look just now before going back to work. Also good to see how all my edge-warped and off-centre records were created!

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by 71 Steve
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes I heard something like this too. Also heard about use of old car tyres or something. Sound really bad but no probs if you drop them :D:thumbsup:

Hadn't seen this original thread in December, so found it interesting to have a quick read / look just now before going back to work.

Cheers, Steve.

Chicago's Trax studios used 1000's of unsold Sargent Pepper to cut house 12's in the 8ts, Rocky jones openly admits this, though he did say 'he didnt use old sneakers' as often claimed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As far as I know, an acetate is a test cut of the finished product, before they do the vinyl test pressings, like if they needed a copy hot off the press they'd cut a couple of acetates first.

James brown goes on about using reverse acetate's that were cut to prevent copying, anyone ever hear of this practice?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!