The Best Deal Ever

Harry Crosby

Bought a 5 Royales 45 off an ebay seller, to sell on and decided to look through his other items to offset high postage costs.

Saw a record I'd never heard of, by a fairly prolific artist with an opening bid of $5.

Thought i might as well have a punt at it for the price.

Won it, and paid for the pair.

Then checked it out in Manships:

Billy Sha Rae - Pitfall - Rapid 1 - £700 NOR.

Result.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bought a 5 Royales 45 off an ebay seller, to sell on and decided to look through his other items to offset high postage costs.

Saw a record I'd never heard of, by a fairly prolific artist with an opening bid of $5.

Thought i might as well have a punt at it for the price.

Won it, and paid for the pair.

Then checked it out in Manships:

Billy Sha Rae - Pitfall - Rapid 1 - £700 NOR.

Result.

Nice one, bet that put a smile on your face :thumbsup:

Social source share

Picked up 40 records from a local 2nd hand shop the other week for £4 (I actually gave them a fiver and said keep the change!). Nothing that special in there but included the superb classic Stevie Wonder double LP "Songs in the Key of Life" in near mint condition...not bad for 10p! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi Harry

Al Williams la beat £10.00

Johnny summers I'm still yours £40.00

Chapter 5 issue 10pence

Oracles aint got time 40pence

fiestas think smart demo £5.00

Sweets orignal soultown £9.00

Profesionals £25.00 John manships still trying to come to terms with that one arn't you John ?

four voices's Love's getting stronger £25.00

Blue jay's point of view £10.00

Soul bros inc Teardrops £80.00

Nat Hall Why £20.00

Hard road to hoe £80.00

Delights £40.00

magnetics when I'm with my baby £60.00

enjoyables shame shrine £200.00

Ray Pollard Shrine £50.00

ect ect regards Simon.

Social source share

Picked up 40 records from a local 2nd hand shop the other week for £4 (I actually gave them a fiver and said keep the change!). Nothing that special in there but included the superb classic Stevie Wonder double LP "Songs in the Key of Life" in near mint condition...not bad for 10p! :thumbsup:

Nice one, a mate of mine,many years ago bought a British Barbara mills, for the princely sum of 10p from a local second hand shop

Social source share

Hi Harry

Chapter 5 issue 10pence

Profesionals £25.00 John manships still trying to come to terms with that one arn't you John ?

Nat Hall Why £20.00

Hard road to hoe £80.00

Delights £40.00

ect ect regards Simon.

These must have been years ago, before they went through the roof though? bought a load of stuff like that myself "back in the day", amazing to think what you could pick up then :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

These must have been years ago, before they went through the roof though? bought a load of stuff like that myself "back in the day", amazing to think what you could pick up then :thumbsup:

yes mate over 30 years the Profesionals was 32 years ago but loads of things that go for say between 50 and a hundred quid now for two quid or less and soul packs.Here's a cracker for you my old mate john Lawson and me both bought soul bowl soul packs and had Bobby Valentine in them and thing's like the ring leaders baby what has happened I saw John a couple of years ago and asked him if he still had the Bobby Valentine he said he only kept 250 of his favorite records and binned the rest including Bobby Valentine well so what they were only 15 pence each regards Simon.

Social source share

Told this one a few times - few years ago in Dublin (5 at most) walked into the shop that predominanntly sells U2 stuff.

Rack of records at the front - I asked if they were Irish pressings he said no Australian - Picked up Dee Dee warwick - Funny how we change places on a demo asked him how much he sai 2 Euros - ASked him if he had anymore- He said yes Ive got about 6 boxes down stairs. Picked out 40 records I asked him how much he said 40 Euros so what was in there

Gene Chandler - There was a time - Coral

Bobby Paris - Personally Polydor

Valentines - Breakaway - Coral

Bub Kuban - The Cheater - Stateside

Bob Kuban - The Teaser - Stateside

Marvellettes Goddess of Love - Stateside

Felice taylor - It may be winter outside - london

ARchie Bell -I love you baby - Atlantic

PLatters - sweet sweet lovin - CBS

Doug Parkinson - Ill be around - Southern Star

Brenton Wood - Better belive it baby - EMI

Chubby Checker - Thw eekends her- parkway

Mandrill - too late - US Arista demo -(Weird as this was in the last box)

Doris Troy cant hold on - RCA

Others I cant remember but nothing special

Saw the lads from Dublin later that night - They were gobsmacked!

Edited by Ernie Andrews
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Told this one a few times - few years ago in Dublin (5 at most) walked into the shop that predominanntly sells U2 stuff.

Rack of records at the front - I asked if they were Irish pressings he said no Australian - Picked up Dee Dee warwick - Funny how we change places on a demo asked him how much he sai 2 Euros - ASked him if he had anymore- He said yes Ive got about 6 boxes down stairs. Picked out 40 records I asked him how much he said 40 Euros so what was in there

Gene Chandler - There was a time - Coral

Bobby Paris - Personally Polydor

Valentines - Breakaway - Coral

Bub Kuban - The Cheater - Stateside

Bob Kuban - The Teaser - Stateside

Marvellettes Goddess of Love - Stateside

Felice taylor - It may be winter outside - london

ARchie Bell -I love you baby - Atlantic

PLatters - sweet sweet lovin - CBS

Doug Parkinson - Ill be around - Southern Star

Brenton Wood - Better belive it baby - EMI

Chubby Checker - Thw eekends her- parkway

Mandrill - too late - US Arista demo -(Weird as this was in the last box)

Doris Troy cant hold on - RCA

Others I cant remember but nothing special

Saw the lads from Dublin later that night - They were gobsmacked!

Fantastic find I found three Ray Merells stapled together in a junk shop in waterford three quid that paid for the weekend's fishing and drinking regards simon
Social source share

Fathers Angels uk Mgm Demo £4

Douglas Banks Aint that just like a woman 15p (first one discovered)

from a local flea market, went round the guys house he was an eccentric hippie and he told me that any record he liked he had bought 5 copies off and stored them.

5 mint mickey lee lane stateside issues £2 each

5 mint bobbi lynn earthquakes £1 each

i left behind loads of uk Chuck Berry 45's and he had at least a dozen copies of the laughing gnome David Bowie

Roscoe Robinson uk pye demo £7 (Russ winstanley)

Jimmy Mack my world is on fire £25

Social source share

Picked up a copy of Bobby Wilburn - I'm A Dreamer (Gamble Issue) a few years ago from a second hand record shop in Melton Mowbray.

Didn't know it, but didn't want to go home empty handed, so paid the man £3!!

A couple of years ago, when it became popular decided to sell it. Got £650 for it. Result

Even better before I had posted it and was waiting for the cheque to clear, I visited a market stall one Saturday and found another copy.!!

Inflation though, cost me £4 this time. Moved it on last year for £525.

Double result

Social source share

Found a box of records at the flea market,

Othello Robertson - So in Luv - Baby Luv 2copies

Lenny Williams - I Couldn't Find Nobody - Fantasy

Eugene Blacknell - The Trip

The Whispers - Doctor Love

and a bunch of more common things, for about $80

that was a fun day

Social source share

Guest Decroco

Sorry can not read any more as this is making me ill, I did buy a Johnny Mccall - 'I need you' only 2 years ago for £26, had to sell and got £350 for it.

Social source share

Living in the US it's a lot easier to find bargains, especially on major label records and ones that are local to your area. Anyways, here's some of the more interesting ones

Patrinell Staten 3x

Little Curtis and Blues

Black On White Affair (both)

Seattle Pure Dynomite

Priceless

all were under $10

Lester Tipton $1

Tina Roberts - One way...25 cents

Differences - 5 minutes 25 cents

Limelights - Don't leave me.....this was painful, $70 or $75

Lotsa funk as well

The punch line is that when I found all these records (except the Limelights) I had no idea what they were. Just looked interesting.

Edited by George G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Living in the US it's a lot easier to find bargains, especially on major label records and ones that are local to your area. Anyways, here's some of the more interesting ones

Patrinell Staten 3x

Little Curtis and Blues

Black On White Affair (both)

Seattle Pure Dynomite

Priceless

all were under $10

Lester Tipton $1

Tina Roberts - One way...25 cents

Differences - 5 minutes 25 cents

Limelights - Don't leave me.....this was painful, $70 or $75

Lotsa funk as well

The punch line is that when I found all these records (except the Limelights) I had no idea what they were. Just looked interesting.

Some good results there George, Lester tipton $1 :ohmy: now that is a result!!!!

Social source share

never been stateside but did used to find some bits when I was studying in london in the mid eighties, loads of orig TMG's only back ones I'm afraid!

one way out x 2

tune up x 3

nothings to good for my baby

i got a feeling

there was always a few imports around on berwick street market, yes betty lou and Bobby Adams did turn up but I didnt get one, my johnny sayles did come from there though. I can also remember seeing maybe 40 copies of that summits record in vinyl exchange, I got custers last band from there too.

Social source share

Was in Detroit, in a small record shop and asked what he got under the counter....he showed me a Sugar Boy Williams - little girl, asking 200 $.

I didn´t know the value and acted a little bit upset about pricing in the states and the current value in europe of 45s....and got it then for 100$.

Back at home I "popsiked" it...... :)

Social source share

Hi Harry

Chapter 5 issue 10pence

Nat Hall Why £20.00

Hard road to hoe £80.00

Delights £40.00

ect ect regards Simon.

HOW ABOUT DOUBLING YOU MONEY SIMON AND SELLING THEM TO ME

Social source share

Lynn Randell Aussie - Stranger..CBS 10p carboot sale

All these on same day! in my local charity shop!

Chuck Jackson..Who Gonna Pick Up the Pieces Stateside 20p

Dusty Whats It Gonna Be UK orig. 20p

Stanley Mitchell Get it Baby pressing 20p

Temptations Youre Not An Ordinary Girl UK TMG 20p

4 Tops ep(no cover) 20p.

A few years ago an empty shop on my road opened as a second hand furniture shop, I had a look in one day and found a suitcase full of 45's..Bessie Banks-Go Now-Red Bird / Solomon King- Beautiful Day-Parlophone / Jackie Wilson -It Only Happens uk Brunswick / Sam Dees Fragile uk Atlantic some more I cant remember now + some rare UK psych 45's Smoke-My Friend Jack & Kaleidoscope-Flight to Ayshea

not 200 yards from my house and all at 10p each!!

Social source share

Guest leeham987

charity shops are the best!

Social source share

Just as a footnote to this thread, ive recieved news that Andy Dyson & Nicola Anderson are at the moment in the process of putting together a book, with regards to the subject of this thread [record digging stories]. If anybody would like to put things down to be included in this publication no matter how big or small, it would be of great help with there research. Both as i`m sure you are well aware are members on this site and can be reached through pm. This promises to be a fascinating insight into the world of record hunting, and i for one are eagerly anticipating its publication. Many thanks :thumbsup:

Social source share

Picked up my Yvonne Baker in San Francisco for $50 - the guy had two and I was sure it was a boot but it turns out it isn't. Only got one tho, this was about 2000 or so.

The hotel lost my Boss suit which I put in to get cleaned so I'm not sure if I got a bargain or not.

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!