Please Say It Isn't So!?

Paul-s

First played as a new release in 1975 by Colin Curtis at the Mecca. Regularly played at the Kings Hall Stoke by resident Mick H.

Yes Kev, was in a Wigan top 20 oldies too, I remember now, I think I was getting confused with the release of the Modern Times LP.

Thank you for reminding me.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Thanks for that, haven't laughed so much since watching it between 3:05 and 3:20 yesterday.

Less Legs & Co, and more Dregs and Co.

FFS, Stop the Northern Scene, I Wanna Get Off...

Just watched this.Why oh why do we need 15 minutes of this ?.I'd got the gist after 3.Do people in their 40's and 50's need to be taught how to dance "northern"?

4 before 8? Re-writing history or re-inventing it? Dancing by numbers,no feeling.

Social source share

Can you remember when three before eight was,nt the number of bowel movements you,ve had today ? Would you like to recreate your youth at one of our fantastic Northern soul themed weekend breaks brought to you by SAGA .

Limited places on the Okey Cokey Christmas special , Book early .

Free sulphate ( Glucosemine ) to the first 50 bookings

Social source share

They were just two random examples Pete. It could have been any other 'representative pair'. Chuck Cockerham came to mind because it had an immediate impact on me when I first heard it (as did Lenis Guess!). I've no vested interest in Crossover or Modern, I've only been receptive to either in the last 3 or 4 years. I missed the Stafford era completely and was out of the UK by 1990. When I started collecting again in the late 80s, I bought 60s exclusively, well that's not true entirely, I sought out and bought stuff like Elouise Laws, James Fountain, Pointer Sisters, Len Jewell on Pzazz (Crossover tune?) and other 'massive at the Mecca and Cleethorpes tunes'. There's still a lot of it (Modern) that I baulk at, particularly Disco, but a good, angst ridden vocal these days floors me every time, regardless of the rythmn, production etc. This led me to seek out a copy of Garfield Fleming not long ago. Why wasn't I listening in 1981? Too sectarian back then, I guess. I wore my Levine must go badge with pride in 77 and chuntered like billy-o when Soul Sam embraced new releases. It's been a long walk here, I'll say that. I'll also withdraw the comments about derision and pity. Looking at my post again, it does seem a bit sectarian and holier than thou. Rich, the comfort zone thing in BCN will be weird, what with so many different genres under one roof. My partner loves it ALL though and never leaves the floor once out there. I'll just be ferrying beer, probably. I did shake an ambitious leg to Stevens & Foster 'I Wanna Be Loved' last year there. It had me smiling to myself and reflecting on more 'exalted' times,when I'd have been frothing at the mouth with righteous NS indignation at the mere thought. Paz se±ores!

I will see you in Spain then Senor, mine's a pint of orange juice and lemonade.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Why bother to explain? The thread is fuelled by mostly Failed DJ's desperate for a quality gig.

Inadvertently got to be the most ironic post on Soulsource for a considerable period of time....

'All that glitters....... :hatsoff2: '

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I'll tell you what sparked the return Rich.Stable finances in some cases,children flown the nest,mortgages paid.

What next? Friends Re-united and such like,putting people back together to relive school days.Its not that difficult to work out.

The problem is that many dont want to know any more than they remember from those days,and just after,in terms of soul music.

Nothing wrong with that.But it seems its become a mix of party/pub nite + soul music.Tagged as Northern Soul.

Now as much as i dont think the tag is that relevant nowadays,i still hold it will fondness.Dont want to see it ridiculed.

Kev don,t forget a smattering of the "singles night " theme and l also suspect there are a load of new people who,ve been told by friends at work "come along and try it, people are all our age and so friendly" "it sure beats bingo"

Social source share

Why bother to explain? The thread is fuelled by mostly Failed DJ's desperate for a quality gig.

Hi Kev,

I don't think we have met, I remember you came to Northants a while back and put an event on at Wickstead Park in Kettering, it was a celebration of Northants. I was puzzled why you didn't include Cliff Steel or Glen Bellamy in the line up - They're not 'Failed D.J's' and would have been my first choices to represent Northants (That maybe off topic and wasn't a dig, just an observation) Point being sometimes great D.J's don't get used, does politics and loyalties sometimes have an effect on D.J choices? - Meaning 'in general', not just you (I think the answer is obvious really)

Like most threads, some folk may miss the point sometimes or it may drift well 'Off Topic' this started about The 'Okey Dokey', or whatever it was and turned into 'what's wrong with the scene' (Again lol!) - You've been around for years Kev, do you think at least some have made valid points? - What's your take on what's been discussed?

There is a fine line here, I'm pretty sure no one on this thread means any malice to those enjoying themselves in the video, it's just that it's so far removed from what The Scene means / meant to them.

As I said, there is more to life but we've got to at least try to keep the standards up aye?

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Let's see if we can keep the tempo up and attract the forum a few more views, seeing as most have defected to Facebook(I wonder why?)

Just to recap.....some of the quotes so far

'Makes me chuckle this Mr Sadot posts the link lights the blue touch paper steps back and watches the firweworks fly and has not as yet said anything else in reply lol beautiful Paul simply genius'.

Mark Bicknell.

(Mark-Only way he can get attention, plus the thread works a treat once the slag offs kick in)

I do resent guys who should know better making a living out of it by selling it down the line, get a fookin real job, you too should be ashamed of your selves.

Geeselad

(Says Geese....Promoting 50 yards from the Kings Hall Stoke on Saturday. Anyone would think you were cashing in?)

Customers who frequent the Blackpool weekender love it. Those who berate it don't go. So what's the problem here?

Good for them and many more happy returns I say! And why should the profit margins be the business of anyone but the promoters? Do people really think that a promotion of this scale should be without reward? I don't.

I don't believe it makes the 'scene' a laughing stock other than to a small number of complainants here. If it goes further than these few individuals, who is it exactly that also finds it a laughing stock?

The Soulgirl

(True statement hun....... though standby for the PM's from the fools....I can almost hear the keyboards crashing right now)

Mr Sadot is back :lol:

He pulls the pin on his hand grenade and tosses it into the room then f%ks off :lol::wave:

Little Stevie

(You said it!)

much prefer the nutters on the rare soul scene...kinda real people if ya get what l mean tezza

Peggy Babcock

(Truer words never spoken from....well.....a nutter!)

Every TV Magazine show did Northern Soul features, usually involving a predictable cast...Messrs ROBERTS, WINSTANLEY and SEARLING smelt the bucks and the imminent re-entry of the original 'stiffs'

Rich Chorley

(Why stop at those 3?....conveniently forgot Messrs Wicks, Wigley, Brady(Bridlington/Scarborough), Raistrick(Skegness),Waterman(Radcliffe), Trundle(Hunstanton), Croasdell(Cleethorpes)? Plus around 200 more who run profitable Soul nights and attract......stiffs? How insulting can you get to the general public. Shameful )

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Let's see if we can keep the tempo up and attract the forum a few more views, seeing as most have defected to Facebook(I wonder why?)

Just to recap.....some of the quotes so far

'Makes me chuckle this Mr Sadot posts the link lights the blue touch paper steps back and watches the firweworks fly and has not as yet said anything else in reply lol beautiful Paul simply genius'.

Mark Bicknell.

(Mark-Only way he can get attention, plus the thread works a treat once the slag offs kick in)

I do resent guys who should know better making a living out of it by selling it down the line, get a fookin real job, you too should be ashamed of your selves.

Geeselad

(Says Geese....Promoting 50 yards from the Kings Hall Stoke on Saturday. Anyone would think you were cashing in?)

Customers who frequent the Blackpool weekender love it. Those who berate it don't go. So what's the problem here?

Good for them and many more happy returns I say! And why should the profit margins be the business of anyone but the promoters? Do people really think that a promotion of this scale should be without reward? I don't.

I don't believe it makes the 'scene' a laughing stock other than to a small number of complainants here. If it goes further than these few individuals, who is it exactly that also finds it a laughing stock?

The Soulgirl

(True statement hun....... though standby for the PM's from the fools....I can almost hear the keyboards crashing right now)

Mr Sadot is back :lol:

He pulls the pin on his hand grenade and tosses it into the room then f%ks off :lol::wave:

Little Stevie

(You said it!)

much prefer the nutters on the rare soul scene...kinda real people if ya get what l mean tezza

Peggy Babcock

(Truer words never spoken from....well.....a nutter!)

Every TV Magazine show did Northern Soul features, usually involving a predictable cast...Messrs ROBERTS, WINSTANLEY and SEARLING smelt the bucks and the imminent re-entry of the original 'stiffs'

Rich Chorley

(Why stop at those 3?....conveniently forgot Messrs Wicks, Wigley, Brady(Bridlington/Scarborough), Raistrick(Skegness),Waterman(Radcliffe), Trundle(Hunstanton), Croasdell(Cleethorpes)? Plus around 200 more who run profitable Soul nights and attract......stiffs? How insulting can you get to the general public. Shameful )

All of which completely fails to explain your original comment, as requested by RUSS...

Now before we 'up the tempo' as you put it, are you really going to try and take the moral position here KEV?....

Because there are a few shameless 'Fools' ready to dance that's for sure.... :wink:

Social source share

Lookls like we have no response to the 'Why Stop At Those 3' comment. I wonder why?

I pointed out elsewhere on this thread that certain people are persona non grata while others could get away with murder for doing exactly the same thing and yet be slapped on the back and congratulated.

You can't win Kev, why bother wasting effort?

And when the people doing the shouting have gained a tenth as much respect as a guy like Richard Searling has gained over the last 35 years, then I might take them seriously.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Lookls like we have no response to the 'Why Stop At Those 3' comment. I wonder why?

Oh I am going to respond shortly KEV, don't worry about that mate.... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

Kev, you are a business man & it appears you are quite successful. You saw the re emergence in popularity in Northern Soul & saw a market to be exploited financially.

You have successfully turned Northern Soul into a brand & you sell that brand. To sell a brand successfully & for it to be financially profitable, in a business sense, the brand has to appeal to the broadest possible & largest market. Thats what you do & you do it well.

I have no problem with a promoter making money from Northern Soul if they are genuinely promoting the music for the good of the scene, but IMO the only reason you have anything to do with the scene now is because it is your living, if you had seen the window of opportunity else where, thats were you would be, its a business to you, the moment that it stops being profitable you will move on to some thing else that is. I do not know some of the promoters you have mentioned, however, of the ones I do know, they do it cos they love the music with a passion, & they want to share the music with like minded people, if they make a few bucks then great.

There are at least two scenes, the oldies orientated, nostalgia driven scene is your main market. They love your promotions, you give them exactly what they want & they love you for it, a lot, not all are in the main returnees, they know no better, probably dont even care, however the die hard, bed rock of the scene, who still see the scene as a precious thing to be nurtured & driven forward, (as much as we can in this day & age) can see exactly what you are doing & sometimes become frustrated at you for it. Its not that you are financially successful with it, its the watering down & the selling off of something they hold dear.

Hope I have been able to articulate my thoughts in a non argumentative way, I just wanted to state the facts as I see them.

Best Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I pointed out elsewhere on this thread that certain people are persona non grata while others could get away with murder for doing exactly the same thing and yet be slapped on the back and congratulated.

You can't win Kev, why bother wasting effort?

And when the people doing the shouting have gained a tenth as much respect as a guy like Richard Searling has gained over the last 35 years, then I might take them seriously.

No you are right he cannot win PETE....As another one of the Southampton contingent has just pointed out... :hatsoff2:

TREV THOMAS SAID: 'and now its just been joined by a convicted bootlegger '....

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

but IMO the only reason you have anything to do with the scene now is because it is your living,

By the same token, you could say that to those of us who sell Northern Soul records for a living, if I didn't sell Northern Soul records I would be out of a job, we all have to make a iiving.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

By the same token, you could say that to those of us who sell Northern Soul records for a living, if I didn't sell Northern Soul records I would be out of a job, we all have to make a iiving.

You make a living from something you love, you are not manipulating the market for your own financial gain, this is not being detrimental to Kev in any way, like I said, NS is a business to him, there is no particular reason for him to be on the scene other than a financial one.. You also contribute to the scene in many other positive ways Pete. I know you feel you are defending Kev & thats very nice of you, but your personal feelings apart you know I'm right.

Russ

Social source share

You make a living from something you love, you are not manipulating the market for your own financial gain, this is not being detrimental to Kev in any way, like I said, NS is a business to him, there is no particular reason for him to be on the scene other than a financial one.. You also contribute to the scene in many other positive ways Pete. I know you feel you are defending Kev & thats very nice of you, but your personal feelings apart you know I'm right.

Russ

I'm not really defending Kev, he can defend himself, I just think it's always the same people (Kev Roberts, ian Levine, Russ Winstanley etc) who get constant stick and others who do the same as those three get lauded for it.

Social source share

Kings hall is my thing, Blackpool i love, any venue that plays mainly good old fashioned northern DANCE soul does it for me, at the same time i go all over the country to other venues that play all the mixtures we seem to have on the scene these days and enjoy myself just as much..............BUT..........................this is the first time i have viewed this clip and to be frank with you all it kind of makes me feel a little ill, it's just not what the scene is all about and it defo don't need the 2am time to go home wedding bash effect.

Not read all the post's about this but am taking a stab in the dark that nobody who participated in this shambles has come on to try to defend or give reasons as to why they thought this would be a really neat kind of way to behave at what is supposed to be a northern event and not a fooking wedding!! FFS!! what is wrong with some people?? ranting_1.gif

Social source share

will all the failed djs please form a circle and on the count of 3 ................................................................. you put your left leg in

Social source share

I also just remembered that I wanted to ask Kev (even tho he still hasnt replied to my last Q), If people are leaving SS in droves for Facebook, why is he still advertising here ?.

Russ

If facebook had clearly defined topics I might give it a go but it's just a mess as far as I can see

Social source share

Why the stupid dubbing (insult to my native country) to the clip, a weekend of across the board soul/northern music from proper legendery DJs Searling Sam,Evison Chapman Terry Davis and the rest. My wifes in the clip lovin the music great end to agreat weekeend, 2500 bodies dancin the night away Friday,Sat and Sunday.Im really pissed off by some of the comments on here makin it out to be some stag/hen weekend. Been into soul music 35 years been to venues up and down the country . Richard and Kev do a great job, as for the original poster lickin Richards arse in a recent post, read his blog on his website says it all! Love to see a rare soul weekender in the tower,Sunday night slippers on sit back an stroke yir chins. Id rather stick my Knob in a beehive

Nighty nite.

Social source share

really didnt want to get involved in this again but

cashing in Kev? Ive never want to make a penny out of the scene, how can anyone offfering a free event, at a cost to themselves want to cash in? Maybe you find the concept of having a non profit night, attended by albeit a few like minded souls, rather alien but its been a hoot, thanks for all who've attended. If you fancy checking out two of the finest progressive dj's in europe, Mace and Johnny Beggs see you sat.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Kev, you are a business man & it appears you are quite successful. You saw the re emergence in popularity in Northern Soul & saw a market to be exploited financially.

You have successfully turned Northern Soul into a brand & you sell that brand. To sell a brand successfully & for it to be financially profitable, in a business sense, the brand has to appeal to the broadest possible & largest market. Thats what you do & you do it well.

I have no problem with a promoter making money from Northern Soul if they are genuinely promoting the music for the good of the scene, but IMO the only reason you have anything to do with the scene now is because it is your living, if you had seen the window of opportunity else where, thats were you would be, its a business to you, the moment that it stops being profitable you will move on to some thing else that is. I do not know some of the promoters you have mentioned, however, of the ones I do know, they do it cos they love the music with a passion, & they want to share the music with like minded people, if they make a few bucks then great.

There are at least two scenes, the oldies orientated, nostalgia driven scene is your main market. They love your promotions, you give them exactly what they want & they love you for it, a lot, not all are in the main returnees, they know no better, probably dont even care, however the die hard, bed rock of the scene, who still see the scene as a precious thing to be nurtured & driven forward, (as much as we can in this day & age) can see exactly what you are doing & sometimes become frustrated at you for it. Its not that you are financially successful with it, its the watering down & the selling off of something they hold dear.

Hope I have been able to articulate my thoughts in a non argumentative way, I just wanted to state the facts as I see them.

Best Russ

Russ you deserve a 'Godin award' for that, spot on.

Social source share

Love or hate Kev Robets promotions, nobody can deny they are extremely popular. That is the be all and end all of it. It doesn't matter whether anyone here likes it or loathes it. They're popular and he's feeding a need from a populace who demand it and are happy to buy in to it.

There are far more 'bigger' and serious 'scenes' than the soul scene yet I don't know anything about them because it doesn't interest me and I don't go seeking it in person or via the internet. Therefore, I suggest, the initial video will only be seen by those seeking 'northern soul'. Viewed with it's intention, the end of a fantastic weekend (by those that attended), it's all good surely.

There are many that need to stop making up the rules from their armchairs, via their keyboards, and start experiencing 'everything' before they plough on with their insults.

Kudos to Kev and Sam for not rising to the bait of the Dragons Den. :wub:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why the stupid dubbing (insult to my native country) to the clip, a weekend of across the board soul/northern music from proper legendery DJs Searling Sam,Evison Chapman Terry Davis and the rest. My wifes in the clip lovin the music great end to agreat weekeend, 2500 bodies dancin the night away Friday,Sat and Sunday.Im really pissed off by some of the comments on here makin it out to be some stag/hen weekend. Been into soul music 35 years been to venues up and down the country . Richard and Kev do a great job, as for the original poster lickin Richards arse in a recent post, read his blog on his website says it all! Love to see a rare soul weekender in the tower,Sunday night slippers on sit back an stroke yir chins. Id rather stick my Knob in a beehive

Nighty nite.

35yrs on the scene? if so then you above all should by now understand that the way this weekender ended is NOT the way it's done. I wager you have never seen it done before like this and hopefully never again.

I'm sorry but just because your partner was in the clip and you feel the need to defend her - and so you should - it don't make it a fitting way to end what was i agree a rammed, fantastic weekender.

Sleep tight and don't let the bed bug's bite!

Edited by dazdakin
Social source share

Guest abdnsoul67

So Rich? what about people like me! I was one of the Mecca Chelsea pensioners - Loved the scene in the 70s /early 80s but didnt live just on oldies and was one of the people who were looking for new even new releases at the time. I then get out to return just over a dozen years ago but then hooked up with the current developing scene rather than just looking at the revivalist aspect .

Their are people who will never accept the 1000s of records that have been found played since what was termed as the Golden days- have been on the scene constantly since the 70s and will only accept the Golden Oldies - How do you class those people as they would argue that was the only true Northern soul scene(I dont subscribe to that view by the way).

The only ones I have a gripe with are those who criticised certain promoters for straying into the " too many Newies / Crossover/Unknown" area and only wanted the Golden oldies who are now playing to the global audience that they have embraced the very thing that they were criticising only 5 years ago! I call them Hypocrites!

can you say who this is aimed at?

Social source share

Phew....Mr Articulate is off to Barcelona.

For a moment there I thought we might see him at the Kings Hall Stoke All Nighter.

But there again, I think he keeps out of the way of the big ones.

And please....no more frigging essays, after 40 years on the scene, I can do without it!

KEV, the reason I don't go to Stoke is I think perfectly outlined in my posting, ...Not quite sure what you mean by 'keeps out of the way of the big ones' (pray define if you wish because it most certainly is not out of any intimidatory factor that's for sure mate) but If that is the best you can do in response then it's a pretty poor showing...By the way I stepped into Wigan aged 14 in 1974 so maybe it's quite interesting where our respective passions lie after all that time eh? You save your energy for the next round of advertising mate... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

It has happened, it happened last year, I think it will happen next year(because of the guy who kicked this all off) just to piss people off.

Why cant people just get on with it The Tower will be a near sellout next year. If you dont like it dont get involved,do your own thing. Anyway well done to young Steven Coutes for winning the dance trophy .

Social source share

Kev,

i for one adore kings hall, blackpool x 2 venues, the music the packed attendances and all that goes with it, i have not one problem with it being the way you make a living these day's, not one problem, but please Kev, you must be able to see that the way it ended at Blackpool is just not on, not the way it's done, never has before and never should it do so again. Forget the politics mate and just look at what it looks like...........a bit of a BBQ knees up.........just wrong Kev.

Social source share

Kev,

i for one adore kings hall, blackpool x 2 venues, the music the packed attendances and all that goes with it, i have not one problem with it being the way you make a living these day's, not one problem, but please Kev, you must be able to see that the way it ended at Blackpool is just not on, not the way it's done, never has before and never should it do so again. Forget the politics mate and just look at what it looks like...........a bit of a BBQ knees up.........just wrong Kev.

So Kev now has to demand on the literature that people do not do 'what they want' during the final record? Why is this Kev's fault; or anyone else's bar the participants come to that.

Edited by TheSoulgirl
Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

I always thought the soul scene was meant to be cool........it was wasnt it?

Cool artists,cool sounds,cool dress,cool venues,

Nah.....all gone now

Social source share

Kev,

Give over ffs, fancy dress, okey cokey, conga, 'surfing' on tables to Hawaii 5-0, DJ dancing statue comps, all been done many times at 'respected' events,

Seeing it on the tube makes it cringeworthy, get over it

Edited by Pete60
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I have many ding dongs with DAVE MOORE about politics but when it comes to Soul Music, he has it spot on...It is about the music and the artists ultimately and those people who truly love Soul know that...There is another level of enjoying what RANDY called 'This thing of ours'...You have your own level KEV....Ching, ching, ching.....

And we'll leave the bootlegging out of it..... :hatsoff2:

Please don't associate me with any of what you have posted in this thread, RICH. You have no idea how much Kev has been responsible for many of my (and more than a few Mates), best moments in music in relation to his contribution with artists.

KEV,

Rise above it Mate. (You will anyway). You've no need to pander to some of these "soul heroes".

Regards,

Dave

***Apologies for posting in reply to what I would consider an off top post but my name was mentioned and I felt I needed to put the record straight.***

Social source share

All of which completely fails to explain your original comment, as requested by RUSS...

Now before we 'up the tempo' as you put it, are you really going to try and take the moral position here KEV?....

Because there are a few shameless 'Fools' ready to dance that's for sure.... :wink:

How rude and patronising.

Again, it's not my cup of tea but KUDOS to them ALL! We're a long time dead.

Edited by TheSoulgirl
Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

I never realised people got into the soul scene cos it was ''cool'', makes it sound like it was a fad?

Just the way it seemed at the time mate.....like I have said before probably showing me age now but the fad has lasted over

43 years now so cant be that bad.

Social source share

I never realised people got into the soul scene cos it was ''cool'', makes it sound like it was a fad?

Of course people did Win; when it was what many of their mates were doing. Peer pressure; nothing new. Those that were truly moved stayed, those that weren't didn't. There are many travellers in any 'scene' and not just musical. Those that find true 'love' stay the course. Others shall, and do, seek their love some place else.

Social source share

Love or hate Kev Robets promotions, nobody can deny they are extremely popular. That is the be all and end all of it. It doesn't matter whether anyone here likes it or loathes it. They're popular and he's feeding a need from a populace who demand it and are happy to buy in to it.

There are far more 'bigger' and serious 'scenes' than the soul scene yet I don't know anything about them because it doesn't interest me and I don't go seeking it in person or via the internet. Therefore, I suggest, the initial video will only be seen by those seeking 'northern soul'. Viewed with it's intention, the end of a fantastic weekend (by those that attended), it's all good surely.

There are many that need to stop making up the rules from their armchairs, via their keyboards, and start experiencing 'everything' before they plough on with their insults.

Kudos to Kev and Sam for not rising to the bait of the Dragons Den. :wub:

Maybe there are deeper forces at work. Who started it......

People in crowds behave just like sheep, scientists claim, by blindly following one or two people who seem to know where they are going.

Researchers at Leeds University believe their findings could have important applications, notably in the management of disasters.

The team, led by Prof Jens Krause, conducted a series of experiments in which volunteers were told to walk randomly around a large hall without talking to each other. A select few were then given more detailed instructions.

The results published today show that it takes a minority of just 5 per cent of what they called "informed individuals" to influence the direction of a crowd of a minimum of 200 people. The remaining herd of 95 per cent follow without realising it.

"There are strong parallels with animal grouping behaviour," says Prof Krause, who reports the work with John Dyer in the Animal Behaviour Journal, with colleagues at the Universities of Oxford and Wales Bangor.

"We've all been in situations where we get swept along by the crowd but what's interesting about this research is that our participants ended up making a consensus decision despite the fact that they weren't allowed to talk or gesture to one another.

"In most cases the participants didn't realise they were being led by others."

The work follows another study by Dr Simon Reader of Utrecht University that showed that most of us are happy to play follow-my-leader, even if we are trailing after someone who does not really know where they are going.

"Even more striking, that study found that even when we are shown a faster route, we still prefer to stick with the old one and tell others to take the long road too.

That discovery could have lethal implications when it comes to evacuating a building or ship in an emergency, when people would likely stick to the familiar evacuation route, even if slower than an alternative.

It had to happen sometime.....it's what peoople in their fifties/sixties do.At least there was no "dad" thumb dancing.

Social source share

Of course people did Win; when it was what many of their mates were doing. Peer pressure; nothing new. Those that were truly moved stayed, those that weren't didn't. There are many travellers in any 'scene' and not just musical. Those that find true 'love' stay the course. Others shall, and do, seek their love some place else.

People didn't get into it because it was cool, people got into it because they liked soul music, that's surely always been the underlying factor, and that goes for you, me, Bakunin and Kev Roberts and everybody else, you don't continue doing something if you don't like it, even if it is perceived to be cool. The main body of the scene has changed, and it has become like a giant club for many, but it's underpinned with a love of soul music, even if it is for tried and trusted oldies/motown and that's where the link is, between that scene and the other one that has emerged, the one that keeps moving forward. Both can and will survive, neither will go away, it just has to be recognised and accepted IMO, or is that just too simple a solution?

Social source share