The Magicians Sweet Magic / Connie 7" Us Chartmaker C-408 Rare Northern Soul 45

Tony Foster

• Replies 36
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

the original is by the SERVICEMEN ON CHARTMAKER the magicians is 1974 counterfeit of the SERVICEMEN'S original recording 'should be £20.00 pounds or less 'but there are idiots out there who doesn't know the difference .

Social source share

Why is that boot going for so much? Even the boot was fairly common when they were pressed up. It looks VERY different from the black on Avacado green original, and the group name is different. it's not like it's a facsimile.

Are you thinking of something else Robb, pretty sure it's pretty much the same as the original apart from the artist credit and it is actually and always has been an extremely hard bootleg to find, even when it was pressed (march 77)

Social source share

My memory might be wrong, but didn't Soussan discover The Servicemen and press it up right away as The Magicans, ie before we knew about The Servicemen? Why he would do so, but keep the label the same seems more than odd.

I was sent the first copies of The Magicans by Simon and seem to remember none of us had heard "Sweet Magic" before. I might be wrong but that's the way I remember it.

IThe Magicans boots are quite rare in their own right aren't they?

Social source share

My memory might be wrong, but didn't Soussan discover The Servicemen and press it up right away as The Magicans, ie before we knew about The Servicemen? Why he would do so, but keep the label the same seems more than odd.

I was sent the first copies of The Magicans by Simon and seem to remember none of us had heard "Sweet Magic" before. I might be wrong but that's the way I remember it.

You're right Neil. Russ was playing it as The Magicians. It was a very shortlived record, never took off or got chance to take off, I've got the first spin on a tape which is feb 77 and it was pressed not long after. I had no idea it was The Servicemen until years later.

Social source share

I think you're right Neil :thumbsup: and if my memory serves me well Les Distributed these for Soussan :wink: seem to recall getting one of these in the post from C. B. promotions way back when. :yes:

Social source share

AMazing .......one i watched last weekend was this one ....was'nt sure myself as im not familiar with the full details of an original ,but thought it looked decidedly like the Soussan copy?

Even the sellers description comes across a bit odd to me ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/110775666036?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Do hope it was original for the guy who bought it .

Social source share

I think that the seller ought to have been a little more frank with the description.

Granted that its a nice looking boot, but it is fairly easy to check on authenticity.

However I suppose not everyone lived through the Wigan era when top tunes were being booted weekly.

Mick

£ 137.55 :ohmy: No wonder everyones looking for old bootlegs!! :(

Social source share

AMazing .......one i watched last weekend was this one ....was'nt sure myself as im not familiar with the full details of an original ,but thought it looked decidedly like the Soussan copy?

https://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

One of those you would want in your hand and the guide in your other hand!! Big Bucks to get wrong!! :ohmy:

Social source share

One of those you would want in your hand and the guide in your other hand!! Big Bucks to get wrong!! :ohmy:

Oh so true ..and if i may say ...the seller to be a bit more definite about the authenticity :g: it either is or it is'nt an original copy!

Social source share

Looks wrong to me, i thought they were an olive green label with silver text, maybe wrong though

Social source share

Are you thinking of something else Robb, pretty sure it's pretty much the same as the original apart from the artist credit and it is actually and always has been an extremely hard bootleg to find, even when it was pressed (march 77)

Pete, You're pretty much right on the description the original is pretty much the same as the boot with the exception as the artist is credited to the Servicemen and the print on the label is silver as opposed to the gold print on the boot!

Social source share

Oh so true ..and if i may say ...the seller to be a bit more definite about the authenticity :g: it either is or it is'nt an original copy!

Your right Nev hell of an ask!! :ohmy: to hope you're buying the real deal!! :g: Very expensive learning curb if you Drop one!! :(

Social source share

Looks wrong to me, i thought they were an olive green label with silver text, maybe wrong though

easy really if it has a Pb in the runn out grooves its a boot this one looks good to me and has the small 2 as others i have seen have come to the York soul night on the 3rd and i will show you one Harry :thumbsup: record i mean and ask Di to bring some pies :lol:

Social source share

easy really if it has a Pb in the runn out grooves its a boot this one looks good to me and has the small 2 as others i have seen have come to the York soul night on the 3rd and i will show you one Harry :thumbsup: record i mean and ask Di to bring some pies :lol:

Thanks Ted.. i'll sleep better tonight knowing there are still plenty of good sellers in the states finding genuine originals :sleep3: :sleep3: :sleep3::thumbsup:

Social source share

Magicians defo boot done around 74/75 I looked at all this guys 45s and there was a few I asked for more info about this was not one of them as its an easy one but he never came back to me with any answers.

All the records he listed were very vaguely described and there was loads of boots in amongst the originals. I seem to remember he got a very good price for a 2nd issue of the Tomangoes as well this week.

Best Darren

Social source share

I think this is true. Simon was out here in L.A. then running off other boots. The "Magicians" was run at Monarch.

Social source share

post-9749-0-64666500-1322247488.jpg This what i meant Ted, looks a different colour to the one in Nev`s link, as well as the PB in the run out also has a moulded over label, Will ask di about the Pies :thumbup:

Sorry for off topic post

Social source share

Pete, You're pretty much right on the description the original is pretty much the same as the boot with the exception as the artist is credited to the Servicemen and the print on the label is silver as opposed to the gold print on the boot!

The Gold (Yellow) coloured print makes them look VERY different. No one could mistake the boot for an original. Also, the plastic and run-off grooves are different. If it's supposed to be a "facsimile" boot, it's a very poor attempt.
Social source share

Hi Nev I'll guarentee that is a boot mate. Dimples in the runout there maybe but they're on the playing surface of the originals anyone can add a dimple or two and the label is the wrong colour.

Best Darren

Social source share

Hi Nev I'll guarentee that is a boot mate. Dimples in the runout there maybe but they're on the playing surface of the originals anyone can add a dimple or two and the label is the wrong colour.

Best Darren

Yes but are you gonna tell Ted he's been playing a boot for 30 yrs :shhh:

Social source share

Magicians defo boot done around 74/75 I looked at all this guys 45s and there was a few I asked for more info about this was not one of them as its an easy one but he never came back to me with any answers.

All the records he listed were very vaguely described and there was loads of boots in amongst the originals. I seem to remember he got a very good price for a 2nd issue of the Tomangoes as well this week.

Best Darren

IT wasn't even known in 1975 let alone pressed, it was pressed in late 76 early 77

Social source share

Yeah I see you mentioned that in an earlier post Pete I understood it was earlier but you were there so point taken. A great record and highly sought after today.

Cheers Darren

I'm sure I had one a few years back, bought of Kerrie on here I think, wonder who ended up with that, think I sold it for £800. Never had another.

Social source share

the original is by the SERVICEMEN ON CHARTMAKER the magicians is 1974 counterfeit of the SERVICEMEN'S original recording 'should be £20.00 pounds or less 'but there are idiots out there who doesn't know the difference .

A little rude and unfair to call them this....................

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!