Do You Still Buy Soul Mags

Shinehead

As someone who has always enjoyed reading about soul music nearly as much as listening i,ve subscribed to all the following mags Blues And Soul , Black Music , Black Echoes , Shades Of Soul, SKM , and the great Voices From The Shadows and InThe Basement am i the only one that since getting on the internet my reading of mags has totally gone, i know most of the above are now defunct but even if they were not i could not see me still subscribing to any other than Shadows i just find that all the knowledge i need can be found on the net. Am i alone in this has the net killed the Soul mag. I have even culled all my old copies of everything except my old copies of Voices.

Social source share

Soul Up North still going after 15 years...

I don't seem to get the same ammount of sales of soul source, the internet for sure as had an affect on all mags....

I do though still sell the same ammount of copies, more to punters out and about at soul events here in the uk and overseas...

Soul Up North.. The rare soul fanzine.. copies of issue 73 here for any folk and content below in link..

Social source share

Good answer Dave but yours is still going though , what are your sales like are they pretty much as always or have they suffered in recent years.

I stopped producing a paper mag over two years ago. Simply because sales of each issue had dropped to a quarter of what they were pre-internet.

I managed 72 issues, and 10 'Special' issues, all averaging over 40 A4 pages, so I guess I didn't do too badly.

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

I stopped producing a paper mag over two years ago. Simply because sales of each issue had dropped to a quarter of what they were pre-internet.

I managed 72 issues, and 10 'Special' issues, all averaging over 40 A4 pages, so I guess I didn't do too badly.

Sorry to hear that Dave i thought you were still producing skm a great mag the first one i bought i think had Mary Wells on the cover nice tapes to go with i remember.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Recent news reaches us that Blues and Soul is to be launched very soon as a publication again, with a couple of members on here adding to it glossery/make up. Still kept hold of the old Okeh Northern Soul, Voices From The Shadows and Blackbeat fanzines.

And Soul Brother records still output a cracking little monthly A5 sized colour list/booklet of brand new soul and jazz release's including back stock item's. But no northern, but a great addition for the more upfront amoung us. Detailed very informative reviews also.

This month (list 215) see's brand new release's from familier artist still recording, such as L J Reynolds, Betty Wright and Alicia Myers.

Thanks.

Social source share

Recent news reaches us that Blues and Soul is to be launched very soon as a publication again, with a couple of members on here adding to it glossery/make up. Still kept hold of the old Okeh Northern Soul, Voices From The Shadows and Blackbeat fanzines.

And Soul Brother records still output a cracking little monthly A5 sized colour list/booklet of brand new soul and jazz release's including back stock item's. But no northern, but a great addition for the more upfront amoung us. Detailed very informative reviews also.

This month (list 215) see's brand new release's from familier artist still recording, such as L J Reynolds, Betty Wright and Alicia Myers.

Thanks.

g8 news about relaunch of blues & soul mag
Social source share

You don't know where you are.

You don't know where you've been,

You've been living a life of sin.......

MANIFESTO!

Having subscribed to this mag since the early days, through not receiving copies and getting no response from emails, I eventually gave up the ghost in June this year. Great read but questionable service.

Started with Blues & Soul in 1970 ending well into the 80's,also collecting Black Music,Black Echoes, Togetherness and Soul Underground. Also bought copies of Soul Up North and In The Basement occasionally. With the exception of Black Echoes I still have the others bought.

Subscribed to NME for many years as well.

Steve

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

Anyone else remember when Blues and Soul went weekly ? it did not last long before it went back to bi weekly though.

Yes, I had taken out a years subscription at the time and when it went weekly the magazine honoured my subscription price, even though they had to send me twice as many issues!

The magazine slowly got thinner and thinner though and eventually went back fortnightly stating that there simply wasnt enough news on the soul scene to produce a weekly issue.

Probally 1976.

Social source share

Yes, I had taken out a years subscription at the time and when it went weekly the magazine honoured my subscription price, even though they had to send me twice as many issues!

The magazine slowly got thinner and thinner though and eventually went back fortnightly stating that there simply wasnt enough news on the soul scene to produce a weekly issue.

Probally 1976.

I got my Blues And Soul delivered to my local newsagent so when it went weekly did not get the bonus you did but as you said it got thinner and thinner.

Social source share

Religiously, and then Intermittently, subscribed to Manifesto over the years, kept meaning to renew my last subscription (expired earlier in the year), but life got in the way, however, what a nice surprise to receive a FREE copy of Manifesto this week in the post, nice touch, and it had the desired effect, prompted me to subscribe again.

I love surfing the net, but I do enjoy holding something physical in my hand, plus I get satisfaction from looking at my piles :D

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

Huge feeling of nostalgia attached to Shades of Soul for me, I came into the scene in the early 80's well before internet soul and think I remember Pete McKernan et al as the main 'sellers ons' for these at all Scottish dos. This mag truly ended up being part of my reference material for many future record buys for at least the next ten years. Was embryonic anorak stuff in the making!

Still have em!

Edited by mark w.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Shades Of Soul was also the best for me. Bought most of the mags around the scene since the mid 80's but unfortunately the internet hs seen them off. Still buy Soul up North and In The Basement (which sadly will be no more soon).

Anyone got any Midnight (Midnite) Express spare?

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Anyone got any Midnight (Midnite) Express spare?

No sorry Chalks..............still own a few and I think the last copies of Rod Dearlove,s excellent editored fanzine's were purchased in early Feb/March 1982 and it just disappeared. But like so many of these fanzine's, it blamed it's demise on increasing costs and overheads.(You should have bought less vinyl back then Mr Dearlove).

Many of course like it's editors and contributors did it for the love and never for any financial rewards..............well never - surely not .

And I read that even the new relaunched Blues and Soul is only issued once every 2 months. :thumbsup: .

Social source share

Thanks Andy.

Its certainly a good read for free :wink:

Did you get a Rory McD yet?

:thumbsup: Sean

Hi Sean , i've managed to get a few copies of 'whats going on' so will make them available at Waterfront Blues N Soul Club (York) events and wherever we go soul wise the length n breadth of the uk . As for Rory, its proving very hard to locate one - can't really believe its that rare and only you and one other are known to have it ? I 'll keep searching and in meantime i'll have to make do with Willis Wooton :thumbsup:
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!